General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Food Quiz

Started by Becca · · Last activity · 92 posts · 1,679 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 November 2007
Last activity
25 November 2007
Original author
Becca
Posts
92
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,679
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–92 of 92
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:20:28 +0100, ravenlynne <[email hidden]>
    fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

    Quoted message said:
    Becca said:

    Holiday Foods Quiz

    <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

    9 out of 10 - I wanted the turkey to be basted, dammit. I still
    contend that basting the turkey with butter, while not necessarily
    keeping the turkey moist, adds to the entire fat quotient of the bird
    and gravy, which results in lip smacking yumminess. I mean, we're
    talking once a year, for cryin' out loud. I'll go to the gym tomorrow.
    Or Monday.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    --
    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

    -- Duncan Hines

    To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

  2. Sqwertz said:
    Sqwertz said:
    maxine in ri said:

    > Those were all from "The Oxford Companion to Food", BTW.
    Never heard of it. I suppose there are a few items of food I've
    missed, but not many!


    This book is excellent, if you like reading food encyclopedias
    (as I do). It's also known as the "Penguin Companion to Food".

    BTW: I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know at least 1/4 of the terms
    or definitions in this book. 1/2 the terms for the lesser
    experienced folk.

    Leicester
    Lath
    Luvar
    Mabolo
    Merenda
    Ngapi Nut
    Arracacha
    Pandowdy

    this is the only one I know.

    Quoted message said:

    Paloodeh
    Pain Perdu
    Piddock
    Fricandeau
    Farl
    Dormouse

    oh wait, this one, too.

    Quoted message said:

    Blewit
    Bere Meal
    Bestilla
    bavaroise
    Pleventinus (OK - I made that one up)

    Now I now what all these are. Care for some more? ;-)

    -=sw

    --

    Sarah Gray

  3. Sqwertz said:
    Sarah Gray said:
    Sqwertz said:

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 04:21:37 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri wrote:

    >> 13. Calsones that's calZones, a bread dough circle filled and folded in half
    I spelled it right. It's Jewish: A stuffed pasta similar to
    ravioli.


    that sounds like kreplach to me, but what do I know 🙂

    Kreplach are smaller and served in a broth. Calsones are more
    like a pieroghi.

    -sw

    you say calsone, I say kreplach, someone else says won ton. same
    difference 🙂

    --

    Sarah Gray

  4. Sarah Gray said:

    you say calsone, I say kreplach, someone else says won ton. same
    difference 🙂

    Kinda like the first special, "America Eats" on PBS from 20 years
    ago. "America on a Bun" (or something like that).

    -sw

  5. Sqwertz said:

    Leicester
    Lath
    Luvar
    Mabolo
    Merenda
    Ngapi Nut
    Arracacha
    Pandowdy
    Paloodeh
    Pain Perdu
    Piddock
    Fricandeau
    Farl
    Dormouse
    Blewit
    Bere Meal
    Bestilla
    bavaroise
    Pleventinus (OK - I made that one up)

    Now I now what all these are. Care for some more? ;-)

    Aren't THOSE all cities in the UK?

    🙂

    --

    Lumber Cartel (tinlc) #2063. Spam this account at your own risk.

    This sig censored by the Office of Home, Land & Planet Insecurity...

    Remove XYZ to email me

  6. Sqwertz said:


    Now I know what all these are. Care for some more? ;-)

    Go slowly. These are fun, but it's ruined with overkill.

    Straight away, I know pandowdy, pain perdu, and I think I heard of
    dormouse in the news recently, but the memory is murky.

    --Lia

  7. Sqwertz said:


    Arri London said:

    One kind host of mine in Somerset made a Christmas cake and forgot to
    add the glycerin to the icing.

    Most of us wouldn't even know how to find glycerin here in the
    U.S. (at a drug store for $3 3/oz). We'd use Crisco instead
    (pinging Bobo).

    -sw

    Crisco would make the icing greasy. It's meant to be crisp but cuttable.
    Glycerin for icing is sold in the baking supply section of any UK
    supermarket. Only need a small amount.

    Royal Icing
    (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/christmascakeicing_2360.shtml)
    3 egg whites
    600g/1lb 5oz icing sugar, sieved
    1½ tsp liquid glycerine - optional
    1 tbsp lemon juice

    To make the icing, lightly whisk the egg whites adding the sugar at
    intervals. Beat well until the icing reaches soft peaks. Add the
    glycerine if using and the lemon juice.
    Spread icing all over cake either flat iced using a clean ruler or by
    forming soft peaks.

  8. Becca said:

    Holiday Foods Quiz

    <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

    Becca


    I've been making stollen for years and always use pecans.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Terry Pulliam Burd said:

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:20:28 +0100, ravenlynne <[email hidden]>
    fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

    Quoted message said:
    Becca said:

    Holiday Foods Quiz

    <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

    9 out of 10 - I wanted the turkey to be basted, dammit. I still
    contend that basting the turkey with butter, while not necessarily
    keeping the turkey moist, adds to the entire fat quotient of the bird
    and gravy, which results in lip smacking yumminess. I mean, we're
    talking once a year, for cryin' out loud. I'll go to the gym tomorrow.
    Or Monday.

    Hopefully there is a gym in Heaven. I won't actually go there, but I'll
    think about it.

  10. Oh pshaw, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 10:45:33a, Becca meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    Holiday Foods Quiz

    <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

    Becca

    10 out of 10, although I tetered on the turkey basting. I cover the turkey
    (lr turkey breast) with cheesecloth soaked in butter, then remove it for
    the last half hour.

    --
    Date: November(XI) 23rd(XXIII),2007(MMVII)

    *******************************************
    Today is: Day After Thanksgiving
    Countdown 'til Christmas
    4wks 1dys 5hrs 45mins
    *******************************************
    The Rule of Fives states that all
    things happen in fives, or are
    divisible by or are multiples of five,
    or are somehow directly or indirectly

  11. Mark Thorson said:


    Dave Smith said:


    Hmmm... that reminds me.... time to head down to the German deli and get
    some Stollen for the holidays. It is one of my favourite Christmas treats.

    Speaking of which.... it is probably time to make my light fruit cake for
    Christmas too.

    Why not get a stollfrupan? That's a longish piece of
    marzipan stuffed inside a fruitcake stuffed inside a
    stollen. :-)

    Whoa! I make a little joke on Tuesday, and 5 days
    later I see it in Trader Joe's -- Marzipan Stollen!
    All it lacks is the fruitcake, but even so that was
    pretty quick work!

  12. Michael \'Dog3\ said:

    Fruit cake? UGH... I detest fruit cake. Even my beloved cat's tail started
    to switch back and forth at the mere mention of it.

    There is fruit cake and there is fruitcake. My mother used to make wonderul
    dark fruitcake, as did her father. I have had some of the commercial
    fruitcakes, and they are disgusting, a poor imitation of a great thing.
    Unfortunately, it is pretty rich stuff and not many people eat it, so I
    make a light fruitcake, once again, better home made than anything I have
    ever been able to buy.

    There are just a few problems with fruit cake. The recipe makes 5-6 loaves.
    By the time you use a pound of butter and several pounds of raisins,
    cherries and peel it gets pretty pricey. Then there is the side effect of
    having all the rich, sweet fruitcake around. It is fattening.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.