rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

F.S. Seagull Century 2004 (2 Registrations)

Started by al · · Last activity · 12 posts · 562 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
17 September 2004
Last activity
24 September 2004
Original author
al
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
562
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Due to an injury I am unable to attend the 2004 Seagull Century. I
    have two registrations available that include the Saturday all you can
    eat dinner. To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
    each for the dinner. I will sell both for $95 vs. $176 that it would
    currently cost. If you are interested please E-Mail me at
    [email hidden].

  2. al said:

    To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
    each for the dinner.

    Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
    East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    al said:

    To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
    each for the dinner.

    Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
    East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

    Seems high to me as well, and I'm on the East Coast. The Narragansett
    Bay Wheelmen's TFCE (The Flattest Century in the East, though it's not
    all that flat anymore) was $25 per person for a supported century, but
    had no dinner associated with it. It sold out all 1600 slots 2 months
    before the ride. This one has been going for 33 years now...

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  4. Terry Morse <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    al said:

    To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
    each for the dinner.

    Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
    East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

    Terry, you are so cheap ;-) You apparently never rode the Chris King
    Gourmet series; always a bit out of my budget. In 2001 I think they
    were $75, then $125 in 2002. Have not looked since, but I suspect
    their recent move to the Portland area will mean the rides will move
    north, too (they were holding them in Santa Barbara County and
    Napa/Sonoma area). I have seen most of the local rides climb into
    the $30-40 range, but have seen a couple up to $50. At that price I
    will do self-supported rides. Off to head south for the Lighthouse
    Century ($40/person with dinner).

    - rick

  5. Rick Warner said:

    Terry, you are so cheap ;-)

    Well, I must confess to paying $65 for the Climb to Kaiser. But
    that was 155 miles, and the support was great: cold sodas at every
    stop, and popsicles at the last stop. I didn't eat the dinner,
    though. I was too barfy.

    Quoted message said:

    You apparently never rode the Chris King Gourmet series; always a
    bit out of my budget. In 2001 I think they were $75, then $125
    in 2002.

    I'm with you there. That looks like an eating event with bicycles.

    Quoted message said:

    Off to head south for the Lighthouse Century ($40/person with
    dinner).

    Enjoy the SLO area! I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
    week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)

    -- terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  6. Terry Morse said:

    Enjoy the SLO area! I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
    week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)


    Pray tell. The Everest Challenge? Does that involve a flight to Kathmandu.

    "Kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh Kathmandu. ...
    ... I think it's really where I'm goin' to ....."

    ô¿ô

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Integrity is obvious.
    The lack of it is common.
    *****************************

  7. Terry Morse said:
    Rick Warner said:

    Terry, you are so cheap ;-)

    Well, I must confess to paying $65 for the Climb to Kaiser. But
    that was 155 miles, and the support was great: cold sodas at every
    stop, and popsicles at the last stop. I didn't eat the dinner,
    though. I was too barfy.

    Quoted message said:

    You apparently never rode the Chris King Gourmet series; always a
    bit out of my budget. In 2001 I think they were $75, then $125
    in 2002.

    I'm with you there. That looks like an eating event with bicycles.

    Quoted message said:

    Off to head south for the Lighthouse Century ($40/person with
    dinner).

    Enjoy the SLO area! I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
    week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)

    -- terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

    Hey, TM, good luck on the EC. You taking a crew?

    Can't believe you're taking the weekend off. Bor-ing, eh?

    -B

  8. Chuck Anderson said:
    Terry Morse said:

    I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
    week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)


    Pray tell. The Everest Challenge? Does that involve a flight to Kathmandu.

    Kathmandu? No such luck. The Everest Challenge merely involves a
    long drive to beautiful Bishop, CA. The reason for the name is that
    the ride climbs 29,035 feet in two days:

    http://everestchallenge.com/ec05.htm
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  9. Badger_South said:

    Hey, TM, good luck on the EC. You taking a crew?

    Thanks, I think I'll need plenty of luck to be able to finish. No
    crew, I couldn't talk anyone into working it. I hope the feed
    stations are well staffed with volunteers. At least there are only
    130 riders signed up.

    Quoted message said:

    Can't believe you're taking the weekend off. Bor-ing, eh?

    A little boring, but I'll still get out and spin this weekend for a
    few hours. Staying off the bike completely sucks.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  10. Terry said:

    Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
    East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

    From the event website:

    Registration Fee (includes Friday Night Fever Party, rest stop
    refreshments, Saturday Lawn Party entertainment, Century T-shirt and
    more...)
    $55.00 thru 8/31
    $75.00 after 8/31

    FWIW this ride attracts about 6,000 riders, vendors, equipment
    displays, all that stuff. There's a Sunday ride too. The price does
    seem a little high, but I suspect it's because the college has some
    "rip charges."
    HTH
    --Karen M.

  11. "Terry Morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    al said:

    To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
    each for the dinner.

    Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
    East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

    STP is about $75, but it's a double century or two-day back-to-back
    centuries. By the time you've bought overnight accomodations and your bus
    ticket back, it gets to be a pricey weekend.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    please substitute yahoo for mousepotato to reply
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  12. We did the Seagull in 1990 when it had only 600 riders - it was its 2nd
    year. Great food at the rest stops, music, long sleeved t-shirt...for $16 I
    believe!The Seagull has become rather pricey....but we'll still be there as
    will the other 6000 entrants. Guess thats why they charge $55!

    "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Terry Morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    al said:

    To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
    each for the dinner.

    Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
    East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

    STP is about $75, but it's a double century or two-day back-to-back
    centuries. By the time you've bought overnight accomodations and your bus
    ticket back, it gets to be a pricey weekend.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    please substitute yahoo for mousepotato to reply
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.