Dear John....

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
The Age have obviously retained that work-experience sub editor on the letters page. Brings me to the point, can I be bothered tearing off a reply or just sigh as this Fairfax publication veers downwards towards the crappy standards of the Hun or Daily Terror? :eek:

Bum-brained bikies
http://www.theage.com.au/letters/index.html
Alan Attwood missed a major point in his article (Metro, 10/10) about numb-bummed bike riders: he failed to mention that saddle pressure on the perineum creates an inability to understand and obey most road rules, especially red lights.
John Nieman, Monbulk

cfsmtb said:
The Age have obviously retained that work-experience sub editor on the letters page. Brings me to the point, can I be bothered tearing off a reply or just sigh as this Fairfax publication veers downwards towards the crappy standards of the Hun or Daily Terror? :eek:

Bum-brained bikies
http://www.theage.com.au/letters/index.html
Alan Attwood missed a major point in his article (Metro, 10/10) about numb-bummed bike riders: he failed to mention that saddle pressure on the perineum creates an inability to understand and obey most road rules, especially red lights.
John Nieman, Monbulk

I actually think that's funny - mainly because it's so puerile. Wonder if it was heavily edited?

warrwych said:
I actually think that's funny - mainly because it's so puerile. Wonder if it was heavily edited?

Yeah it is extremely puerile. I reckon the author could be incriminating himself by showing detailed knowledge of the subject, ie: bottoms. Not that's there's anything wrong with that. :) Just depends where you wish to tactfully reveal such information...

cfsmtb said:
Yeah it is extremely puerile. I reckon the author could be incriminating himself by showing detailed knowledge of the subject, ie: bottoms. Not that's there's anything wrong with that. :) Just depends where you wish to tactfully reveal such information...

dare I start the botty jokes and puns?? hehehe :D :eek:

cfsmtb said:
The Age have obviously retained that work-experience sub editor on the letters page. Brings me to the point, can I be bothered tearing off a reply or just sigh as this Fairfax publication veers downwards towards the crappy standards of the Hun or Daily Terror? :eek:

Bum-brained bikies
http://www.theage.com.au/letters/index.html
Alan Attwood missed a major point in his article (Metro, 10/10) about numb-bummed bike riders: he failed to mention that saddle pressure on the perineum creates an inability to understand and obey most road rules, especially red lights.
John Nieman, Monbulk
It's a slow day at the office so:

If John's assertion that the ability to obey the road rules is linked to presssure on the perenium, then motorists must surely be vulnerable to this phenomenom as well. How else would John explain the 13,500 insurace claims in 2004 which were attributed to motorists running red lights (NRMA, 16th August 2005, "Lights, Cars and Crashes", available online <http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/about_us/media_releases/20050816a.shtml> last accessed 12 October 2005)?

The prejudicial myth is that cyclists are more likely to infract the law than motorists. The reality is that we're all just as bad as each other. Every day on the 60 law abiding kilometers I cycle I see motorists run red lights, roll through stop signs, park in bike lanes, speed through school zones, fail to give way, talk on their mobile 'phone, use their horn as a means of rebuke and a whole host of other traffic violations.

The difference is that motorists infracting on the law puts lives at risk other than their own. In the last ten years cyclists have killed two people. It takes motorists, on average, three days to achieve that.

EuanB said:
[...]

Dude. Poetry!

hope you sent that in!!!!!!!!!!

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> EuanB Wrote:
>> It's a slow day at the office so:
>>
>> If John's assertion that the ability to obey the road rules is linked
>> to presssure on the perenium, then motorists must surely be vulnerable
>> to this phenomenom as well. How else would John explain the 13,500
>> insurace claims in 2004 which were attributed to motorists running red
>> lights (NRMA, 16th August 2005, "Lights, Cars and Crashes", available
>> online
>> <http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/about_us/media_releases/20050816a.shtml>
>> last accessed 12 October 2005)?
>>
>> The prejudicial myth is that cyclists are more likely to infract the
>> law than motorists. The reality is that we're all just as bad as each
>> other. Every day on the 60 law abiding kilometers I cycle I see
>> motorists run red lights, roll through stop signs, park in bike lanes,
>> speed through school zones, fail to give way, talk on their mobile
>> 'phone, use their horn as a means of rebuke and a whole host of other
>> traffic violations.
>>
>> The difference is that motorists infracting on the law puts lives at
>> risk other than their own. In the last ten years cyclists have killed
>> two people. It takes motorists, on average, three days to achieve
>> that.

> Dude. Poetry!
>
> hope you sent that in!!!!!!!!!!
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Seconded!

EuanB said:
[...]

BINGO! yer in print laddy :D

abit different (stats not mentioned, nor your commute) but its there.

flyingdutch said:
BINGO! yer in print laddy :D

abit different (stats not mentioned, nor your commute) but its there.

I didn't expect the cite to be put in print, I mean you can't have The Age suggesting that better information could be had elsewhere now could you?

The main message is there though so chuffed about that.

On 2005-10-12, flyingdutch wrote:
> EuanB Wrote:
>> It's a slow day at the office so:
>>
>> If John's assertion that the ability to obey the road rules is linked
>> to presssure on the perenium, then motorists must surely be vulnerable
>> to this phenomenom as well. How else would John explain the 13,500
>> insurace claims in 2004 which were attributed to motorists running red
>> lights (NRMA, 16th August 2005, "Lights, Cars and Crashes", available
>> online
>> <http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/about_us/media_releases/20050816a.shtml>
>> last accessed 12 October 2005)?
>>
>> The prejudicial myth is that cyclists are more likely to infract the
>> law than motorists. The reality is that we're all just as bad as each
>> other. Every day on the 60 law abiding kilometers I cycle I see
>> motorists run red lights, roll through stop signs, park in bike lanes,
>> speed through school zones, fail to give way, talk on their mobile
>> 'phone, use their horn as a means of rebuke and a whole host of other
>> traffic violations.
>>
>> The difference is that motorists infracting on the law puts lives at
>> risk other than their own. In the last ten years cyclists have killed
>> two people. It takes motorists, on average, three days to achieve
>> that.

> BINGO! yer in print laddy :D
>
> abit different (stats not mentioned, nor your commute) but its there.

Compare and contrast with http://www.theage.com.au/letters/index.html
(valid only for today, I suspect; scroll down to the bottom.)

EuanB wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > BINGO! yer in print laddy :D
> >
> > abit different (stats not mentioned, nor your commute) but its there.

> I didn't expect the cite to be put in print, I mean you can't have The
> Age suggesting that better information could be had elsewhere now could
> you?
>
> The main message is there though so chuffed about that.

Good stuff, Euan!

EuanB wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
>
>>BINGO! yer in print laddy :D
>>
>>abit different (stats not mentioned, nor your commute) but its there.

> I didn't expect the cite to be put in print, I mean you can't have The
> Age suggesting that better information could be had elsewhere now could
> you?
>
> The main message is there though so chuffed about that.

Nice work.

--
BrettS

EuanB said:
I didn't expect the cite to be put in print, I mean you can't have The Age suggesting that better information could be had elsewhere now could you?

The main message is there though so chuffed about that.

Congrats Euan, your letter was published today. With a few edits, must
be that pesky work-experience sub editor again... :D

EuanB said:
I didn't expect the cite to be put in print, I mean you can't have The Age suggesting that better information could be had elsewhere now could you?

The main message is there though so chuffed about that.

Well done Euan! Congratulations

Cheers

Geoff

Bleve said:
> The main message is there though so chuffed about that.[/color]

Good stuff, Euan!

I was impressed with their editting, dropping your cycling makes you 'impartial'!

I've occasionally tried to make the point
"When you see a cyclist being an idiot, be glad they're riding a bike, not driving a car."

Personally, my driving gets way too agressive if I don't get my regular playing with the traffic.
Can you get Catlike helmets in Oz?

aeek said:
Can you get Catlike helmets in Oz?

On their website, Orbea is listed as the distributor:
http://www.catlike.es/ingles/home.html
03 932 814 11
[email protected]

From a post dated April 2004:
"Glen Parker Cycles in Nedlands, Perth WA, they have stock."

They were exhibited at BAS in 2002:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/tradeshows02/?id=baus02/DSCN5068

hth
hippy