Matt O'Toole said:
How much oil do you put in your wax? I don't think plain wax lubricates enough.
I agree, plain wax doesn't lubricate enough. I tried plain wax when I
first read about this method back in the 1970s. It started squeaking
soon after a rainy ride.
How much oil do I blend into the wax? I've been saying "about 5%," but
that's not measured. I simply melted some paraffin in a pan and poured
in a little oil and stirred. I blended this concoction only twice in my
life - a pan lasts a long, long time. And my memory tells me nothing
more than "it looked about right."
One time I used motor oil, another time I used SAE 90 gear lube. I
think it's the gear lube that's in my current supply, but I'm not even
sure about that. Both work well.
Quoted message said:Also, wax seems to make a mess of the drivetrain,
becoming caked all over everything.
With the addition of the oil, the chain doesn't stay _perfectly_ clean,
but it stays way, way cleaner than any oil-based lube I've used. After I
do the torch lube job, I wipe off all the excess by backpedaling through
a rag or paper towels. I don't get any significant "caking."
If I want to improve cleanliness between lube jobs, I can wipe the chain
and big chainring down with paper towels in about two minutes, and it
won't leave chain tattoos on my legs or work clothes. I do this
whenever I feel an urge for unusual cleanliness. That's about once
every six months! ;-)
--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot
edu]