UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cannot adjust handlebar height on kids raleigh rawkus ?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 13 posts · 455 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
10 September 2006
Last activity
11 September 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
455
Views / 30 days
14

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    sorry for the dumb question, but I'd like to adjust the handlebar
    height on my 13 year olds sons Raleigh Rawkus . I assumed that this
    would be possible.. It has Oval shaped frame sections and front
    suspension.. The handlebar column has two large nuts that I have tried
    , one locks the other. It also has a long bolt from the top down which
    uses an allen key to undo. I have removed this bolt and undone the two
    larrge nuts, but all these seem to do is locck the front handlebars
    colum to the frmae.

    After much head scratching I concluded that the nike has no way of
    changing the height of the front bars. Is that probable ?

    Thanks

    Jonathan

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    sorry for the dumb question, but I'd like to adjust the handlebar
    height on my 13 year olds sons Raleigh Rawkus . I assumed that this
    would be possible.. It has Oval shaped frame sections and front
    suspension.. The handlebar column has two large nuts that I have tried
    , one locks the other. It also has a long bolt from the top down which
    uses an allen key to undo. I have removed this bolt and undone the two
    larrge nuts, but all these seem to do is locck the front handlebars
    colum to the frmae.

    After much head scratching I concluded that the nike has no way of
    changing the height of the front bars. Is that probable ?

    Yes, modern bikes are [censored].
    You can get a high-rise stem or possibly turn the original upside down
    if is has a suitable offset.

    --
    Eiron

    No good deed ever goes unpunished.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    sorry for the dumb question, but I'd like to adjust the handlebar
    height on my 13 year olds sons Raleigh Rawkus . I assumed that this
    would be possible.. It has Oval shaped frame sections and front
    suspension.. The handlebar column has two large nuts that I have tried
    , one locks the other. It also has a long bolt from the top down which
    uses an allen key to undo. I have removed this bolt and undone the two
    larrge nuts, but all these seem to do is locck the front handlebars
    colum to the frmae.


    Rather than removing the allen bolt you need to undo it a few turns then
    knock it down (put a bit of wood on it and whack that with a hammer) to
    unlock the stem. There will be a "minimum insertion" mark on the stem.
    Given the height of the bars relative to the seat on this model I'm
    surprised that they need to be raised. The large nuts lower down are
    the cone and locknut for the headset bearing, which will need to be
    properly adjusted now that you've fiddled with it.

  4. Rob Morley wrote on 10/09/2006 14:19 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    Rather than removing the allen bolt you need to undo it a few turns then
    knock it down (put a bit of wood on it and whack that with a hammer) to
    unlock the stem.

    Umm...he described an aheadset not a quill stem. Hammers are not needed.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  5. Quoted message said:

    sorry for the dumb question, but I'd like to adjust the handlebar
    height on my 13 year olds sons Raleigh Rawkus . I assumed that this
    would be possible.. It has Oval shaped frame sections and front
    suspension.. The handlebar column has two large nuts that I have tried
    , one locks the other. It also has a long bolt from the top down which
    uses an allen key to undo. I have removed this bolt and undone the two
    larrge nuts, but all these seem to do is locck the front handlebars
    colum to the frmae.

    After much head scratching I concluded that the nike has no way of
    changing the height of the front bars. Is that probable ?

    I think that from what you say the Raleigh Rawkus has a threaded
    headset and quill stem. So to adjust the height undo the bolt at the
    top of the stem a couple of tuns then hit it with a hammer to free the
    stem by knocking out the wedge that expands the stem in the steerer.
    The stem may well be stuck in the steerer so you may have to resort to
    penetrating oil and or brute strength and ignorance to free it even
    with the wedge loose.

    The two large nuts are to adjust the headset bearings on which the
    steerer rotates. You will have to put these back the way they were.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  6. [email hidden] wrote on 10/09/2006 13:41 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    sorry for the dumb question, but I'd like to adjust the handlebar
    height on my 13 year olds sons Raleigh Rawkus . I assumed that this
    would be possible.. It has Oval shaped frame sections and front
    suspension.. The handlebar column has two large nuts that I have tried
    , one locks the other. It also has a long bolt from the top down which
    uses an allen key to undo. I have removed this bolt and undone the two
    larrge nuts, but all these seem to do is locck the front handlebars
    colum to the frmae.

    After much head scratching I concluded that the nike has no way of
    changing the height of the front bars. Is that probable ?

    You have an aheadset which I suspect you will not be able to adjust.
    The height is changed by putting spacers on the fork underneath the
    stem. However it is likely that the fork steerer tube has been cut to
    length for the current height and there is no chance of moving the stem
    up without having too little steerer to clamp onto. If you are very
    lucky there may be spacers above the stem and then you simply move them
    from above to below the stem and put it back together.

    The options you have are a riser stem and/or riser bars to lift the
    height or fit a new fork with a long steerer so you can add spacers..

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  7. Tony Raven wrote on 10/09/2006 14:36 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    Rob Morley wrote on 10/09/2006 14:19 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    Rather than removing the allen bolt you need to undo it a few turns
    then knock it down (put a bit of wood on it and whack that with a
    hammer) to unlock the stem.

    Umm...he described an aheadset not a quill stem. Hammers are not needed.

    On re-reading, perhaps not.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  8. Tony Raven said:

    Rob Morley wrote on 10/09/2006 14:19 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    Rather than removing the allen bolt you need to undo it a few turns then
    knock it down (put a bit of wood on it and whack that with a hammer) to
    unlock the stem.

    Umm...he described an aheadset not a quill stem.

    It's a funny aheadset system that has two large large nuts that lock
    each other.

    <OP>The handlebar column has two large nuts that I have tried
    , one locks the other. </OP>

    Sounds like a threaded steerer and quill to me.

    Park's JPEGS will solve any misunderstanding.

    Threaded http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127

    Aheadset http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  9. Phil Cook wrote on 10/09/2006 14:51 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Raven said:

    Rob Morley wrote on 10/09/2006 14:19 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    Rather than removing the allen bolt you need to undo it a few turns then
    knock it down (put a bit of wood on it and whack that with a hammer) to
    unlock the stem.


    Umm...he described an aheadset not a quill stem.

    It's a funny aheadset system that has two large large nuts that lock
    each other.

    As I said, on re-reading.... I took that originally to be describing
    the two allen head bolts that clamp the stem to the steerer but I see
    now it is probably the top nuts of a threaded headset.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  10. many thanks for all who took the trouble to rely. Excuse my poor
    spelling and use of correct cycling frame terminology.

    A couple of things to clarify

    1) The large 'locking nuts" are large in terms of outer and inner
    diameter, ie they are very thin, but screw onto the comparitivly wide
    tube which splits to form the foirks below.

    2) I understand the hammer tapping option, but my long threaded bol
    appears to engage in a threaded hole at the top of the forks. i.e it
    screws into the apex of the two forks. I don't *think* it screws into
    a seperate-but-jammed block which sets the height.

    I'll revisit this tomorrow in daylight, but I think , as one poster
    noted, it's all fixed.

    Tony Raven said:

    Phil Cook wrote on 10/09/2006 14:51 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Raven said:

    Rob Morley wrote on 10/09/2006 14:19 +0100:
    > Rather than removing the allen bolt you need to undo it a few turns then
    > knock it down (put a bit of wood on it and whack that with a hammer) to
    > unlock the stem.
    Umm...he described an aheadset not a quill stem.

    It's a funny aheadset system that has two large large nuts that lock
    each other.

    As I said, on re-reading.... I took that originally to be describing
    the two allen head bolts that clamp the stem to the steerer but I see
    now it is probably the top nuts of a threaded headset.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  11. in message <[email hidden]>,

    (') said:

    many thanks for all who took the trouble to rely. Excuse my poor
    spelling and use of correct cycling frame terminology.

    A couple of things to clarify

    1) The large 'locking nuts" are large in terms of outer and inner
    diameter, ie they are very thin, but screw onto the comparitivly wide
    tube which splits to form the foirks below.

    Ah! Old type quill stem. DO NOT TOUCH those nuts, they hold the headset
    together and have nothing to do with the handlebar height. Adjusting the
    headset is a moderately skilled operation.

    There is a bolt that runs down the axis of the steerer tube which comes out
    at the top of the stem, usually with an allen key head. Unscrew it three
    or four turns - not more - and then smack it smartly downwards with a lump
    of rood or a rubber mallet if you have one. The stem should come loose.
    Adjust the stem then retighten the bolt. the stem should have markings on
    it for the maximum safe height - do not exceed these.

    Quoted message said:

    2) I understand the hammer tapping option, but my long threaded bol
    appears to engage in a threaded hole at the top of the forks. i.e it
    screws into the apex of the two forks. I don't *think* it screws into
    a seperate-but-jammed block which sets the height.

    It does.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
    resin in the bottom of the toolbag.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    many thanks for all who took the trouble to rely. Excuse my poor
    spelling and use of correct cycling frame terminology.

    A couple of things to clarify

    1) The large 'locking nuts" are large in terms of outer and inner
    diameter, ie they are very thin, but screw onto the comparitivly wide
    tube which splits to form the foirks below.


    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Image:Br_threadedheadset.png

    Quoted message said:


    2) I understand the hammer tapping option, but my long threaded bol
    appears to engage in a threaded hole at the top of the forks. i.e it
    screws into the apex of the two forks. I don't *think* it screws into
    a seperate-but-jammed block which sets the height.

    I'll revisit this tomorrow in daylight, but I think , as one poster
    noted, it's all fixed.


    Fixed by time maybe, but not by design.

  13. well after a good deal of hammering I can confirm that you were right !

    There is a quill angled iron piece inside , but it was so badly
    corroded that I had to resort to hitting it with a long metal rode
    jammed down the inside of the tube. Eventually I dislodged it and it
    sheared in 2. BUT - I now understand how it all works som many thanks.

    Ironically I went into the local Town Bike shop, certain to get a
    replacement, only to be told "we don't stock those" but have ordered
    one, and found a similar in an old racer from the shed.

    So once again, many thanks to one and all for the very practical advice

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.