Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campy 10s build on older Klein

Started by Jefmix · · Last activity · 6 posts · 766 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 June 2003
Last activity
28 June 2003
Original author
Jefmix
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
766
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran
    into is rear dropout spacing is narrower than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel
    vintage). Is there any problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider cassette? I'd
    be more comfortable with this on a steel frame, but thought I'd ask the experts here when it
    comes to Aluminum.

    The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
    farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are
    to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The BB is
    pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's.

    I'm worried this chainring/der/cassette alignment situation may be a deal breaker for my trusty old
    Klein. Any advice?

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Jefmix
    I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran
    into is rear dropout spacing is narrower than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel
    vintage). Is there any problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider cassette? I'd
    be more comfortable with this on a steel frame, but thought I'd ask the experts here when it
    comes to Aluminum.

    The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
    farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are
    to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The BB is
    pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's.

    I'm worried this chainring/der/cassette alignment situation may be a deal breaker for my trusty old
    Klein. Any advice?

    Spreading the rear triangle on an aluminum bike is not advisable, but apparently you already did it. If this took more than just finger strength or if it doesn't spring back to the original width when you take the hub out you may have seriously weakend your frame at the bottom bracket area.

    Someone else will have to answer the chainring alignment issue but I doubt if you'll ever get a good result by mixing a frame designed for a freewheel with 10-speed components.

    I suggest turning your Klein into a fixie and getting a newer frame with 130mm spacing for the Campy parts. 130mm has been the standard for for at least 14 years now so there are plenty of used frames you could get.

  3. Hi, I have just finished building my older klein quantum from the 80s and Klein told me I could slightly pull the rear stays open to accomidate a Zipp cassette/8spd,so I did ,no problemsI'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran
    into is rear dropout spacing is narrower than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel
    vintage). Is there any problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider cassette? I'd
    be more comfortable with this on a steel frame, but thought I'd ask the experts here when it
    comes to Aluminum.

    The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
    farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are
    to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The BB is
    pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's.

    I'm worried this chainring/der/cassette alignment situation may be a deal breaker for my trusty old
    Klein. Any advice?
    [/QUOTE]

  4. If you measure the actual spacing between the dropouts on the frame you will find that frequently it
    is greater than 126. You can respace the hub to 128 and it may go right in or need only slight hand
    spreading to go into the frame.

    The bottom bracket you are using is too long for the crankset.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran into
    is rear dropout spacing is


    narrower

    Quoted message said:

    than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel vintage). Is


    there any

    Quoted message said:

    problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider


    cassette? I'd

    Quoted message said:

    be more comfortable with this on a steel frame, but thought I'd


    ask the

    Quoted message said:

    experts here when it comes to Aluminum. The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the
    chainrings


    when

    Quoted message said:

    mounted - they seem to be farther out, and not centered on the


    cassette.

    Quoted message said:

    Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are to the


    extreems to

    Quoted message said:

    accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the


    spindle.

    Quoted message said:

    The BB is pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late


    80's

    Quoted message said:

    early 90's. I'm worried this chainring/der/cassette alignment situation may be


    a

    Quoted message said:

    deal breaker for my trusty old Klein. Any advice?

  5. jefmix said:

    The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
    farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment
    are to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The
    BB is pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's.

    This is an object lesson to all those who want to get integrated headsets. I wonder whether it will
    be possible to replace that bottom bracket. Probably not. Your one hope is to check with Klein.

    What happened to the old cranks? Are they bad? If they are OK, and if the bottom bracket still
    spins smoothly, why not use them? Don't worry about "speeds", it should work fine with
    10-speed chain.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
    knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
    charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

  6. jefmix-<< I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I
    ran into is rear dropout spacing is narrower than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel
    vintage). Is there any problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider cassette?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    'May" break the dropouts at the seat stays as the skewer forces the dropouts parallel..may not also
    but it is a possibility.

    A work around is using a shimano rear hub, respaced to 128mm or so by removing spacers, then using a
    Wheels manufacturing 10s cassette.

    << The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
    farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are
    to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The BB is
    pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's. >><BR><BR>

    Probably a 111mm spindle and you may be using a crank needing a 102mm spindle. Get a Campagnolo
    crank for 111mm spindle, like Centaur and on down.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.