UK and Europe · Public discussion

Campag non-indexed downtube shifter washers - help!

Started by Simon Brooke · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,132 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 August 2007
Last activity
5 August 2007
Original author
Simon Brooke
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,132
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got myself a pair of beautiful (second hand) Campag downtube shifters,
    new style, non-indexed, to replace the Sachs-Huret shifters on my winter
    bike. For each lever their are the following parts:

    * one baseplate
    * one large brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * one small brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * two conical clutch washers, inner diameter to fit fixing bolt
    * one cover washer

    The levers are similar to, but not identical to, the left-hand lever on
    page 37 of http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares01-B.pdf although as
    they're non-indexed the right hand lever is simply a mirror of the left.
    Also, in mine, the lever core - the fifth, sixth and seventh components
    from the left in the drawing - are already assembled into the lever and I
    haven't felt the need to dig them out.

    So what's the problem? The problem is that the fixing bolt unscrews as the
    lever is used. I know that they always did this a bit, which is why the
    bolt had the little butterfly head so that you could manually adjust the
    tension on the clutch. But these are unscrewing dramatically - three
    gear-shifts and they're loose, which, for non-indexed shifters, is pretty
    much unusable.

    From the diagrams it appears that the clutch washers should be wide ends
    together, pointed ends apart. Can someone confirm this? Can anyone give me
    any other hints to get these working? They're aesthetically much nicer
    than the plastic Sachs-Huret ones, but the Sachs-Huret ones worked
    better...

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

  2. Simon Brooke said:

    I've got myself a pair of beautiful (second hand) Campag downtube shifters,
    new style, non-indexed, to replace the Sachs-Huret shifters on my winter
    bike. For each lever their are the following parts:

    * one baseplate
    * one large brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * one small brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * two conical clutch washers, inner diameter to fit fixing bolt
    * one cover washer

    The levers are similar to, but not identical to, the left-hand lever on
    page 37 of http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares01-B.pdf although as
    they're non-indexed the right hand lever is simply a mirror of the left.
    Also, in mine, the lever core - the fifth, sixth and seventh components
    from the left in the drawing - are already assembled into the lever and I
    haven't felt the need to dig them out.

    So what's the problem? The problem is that the fixing bolt unscrews as the
    lever is used. I know that they always did this a bit, which is why the
    bolt had the little butterfly head so that you could manually adjust the
    tension on the clutch. But these are unscrewing dramatically - three
    gear-shifts and they're loose, which, for non-indexed shifters, is pretty
    much unusable.

    From the diagrams it appears that the clutch washers should be wide ends
    together, pointed ends apart. Can someone confirm this? Can anyone give me
    any other hints to get these working? They're aesthetically much nicer
    than the plastic Sachs-Huret ones, but the Sachs-Huret ones worked
    better...


    you're missing a thin black washer with a non circular hole, which
    ensures that the outer cover washer will not rotate on the bos. Thats
    what the small flats on the end of the shifter boss are for

    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  3. After serious thinking M-gineering wrote :

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    I've got myself a pair of beautiful (second hand) Campag downtube shifters,
    new style, non-indexed, to replace the Sachs-Huret shifters on my winter
    bike. For each lever their are the following parts:

    * one baseplate
    * one large brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * one small brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * two conical clutch washers, inner diameter to fit fixing bolt
    * one cover washer

    The levers are similar to, but not identical to, the left-hand lever on
    page 37 of http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares01-B.pdf although as
    they're non-indexed the right hand lever is simply a mirror of the left.
    Also, in mine, the lever core - the fifth, sixth and seventh components
    from the left in the drawing - are already assembled into the lever and I
    haven't felt the need to dig them out.

    So what's the problem? The problem is that the fixing bolt unscrews as the
    lever is used. I know that they always did this a bit, which is why the
    bolt had the little butterfly head so that you could manually adjust the
    tension on the clutch. But these are unscrewing dramatically - three
    gear-shifts and they're loose, which, for non-indexed shifters, is pretty
    much unusable.

    From the diagrams it appears that the clutch washers should be wide ends
    together, pointed ends apart. Can someone confirm this? Can anyone give me
    any other hints to get these working? They're aesthetically much nicer
    than the plastic Sachs-Huret ones, but the Sachs-Huret ones worked
    better...


    you're missing a thin black washer with a non circular hole, which ensures
    that the outer cover washer will not rotate on the bos. Thats what the small
    flats on the end of the shifter boss are for

    You may well be right, but I'm not sure what you mean by this - are you
    thinking about the later Synchro levers? As far as I can remember the
    part that prevented rotation on the old Record levers which Simon seems
    to have (from the Super Record days - early 80s - although there was
    never an actual SR downtube lever as such) was a fairly thick white
    plastic washer with two moulded flats to fit the boss (similar to the
    part 7th from the left on Simon's picture). There was, I think, a quite
    small black metal washer next to the wing nut itself, but it didn't
    engage with the boss flats.

    It sounds to me as though Simon has the plastic conical washers, but is
    it possible that he's got two plain ones - without the flats?

    Simon - as you say, these levers were [censored]: they came loose pretty much
    all the time, and certainly needed tightening every few gear changes.
    That said, your problem does sound extreme. I haven't used them since
    the mid 80s, but I do remember that careful lubrication helped, odd as
    that sounds - you'd expect it to make the things slip more, but
    reducing the friction between the washers actually seemed to improve
    things. I *think8 I used Campag white grease, but it's been a long,
    long time...!

    I can't remember what I did with my old Record levers - it's just
    possible that I have them in an old junk box somewhere. I'll try to
    have a look this weekend in case you need parts, and so that you can
    see the bits we're describing. If i've got them, you're welcome to what
    I have, but I can't make any promises about still having them,
    unfortunately.

    --
    Simon

  4. Simon D explained on 04/08/2007 :

    Quoted message said:

    After serious thinking M-gineering wrote :

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    I've got myself a pair of beautiful (second hand) Campag downtube
    shifters,
    new style...

    You may well be right, but I'm not sure what you mean by this - are you
    thinking about the later Synchro levers?

    Sorry - just realised that these *aren't* "Super Record", if they're
    "new style". In that case, I think you're probably right about the
    black washer, although I've a feeling that some of the later ones were
    also chrome finished.

    --
    Simon

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, M-gineering

    (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    I've got myself a pair of beautiful (second hand) Campag downtube
    shifters, new style, non-indexed, to replace the Sachs-Huret shifters on
    my winter bike. For each lever their are the following parts:

    * one baseplate
    * one large brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * one small brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * two conical clutch washers, inner diameter to fit fixing bolt
    * one cover washer

    The levers are similar to, but not identical to, the left-hand lever on
    page 37 of http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares01-B.pdf although as
    they're non-indexed the right hand lever is simply a mirror of the left.
    Also, in mine, the lever core - the fifth, sixth and seventh components
    from the left in the drawing - are already assembled into the lever and
    I haven't felt the need to dig them out.

    So what's the problem? The problem is that the fixing bolt unscrews as
    the lever is used. I know that they always did this a bit, which is why
    the bolt had the little butterfly head so that you could manually adjust
    the tension on the clutch. But these are unscrewing dramatically - three
    gear-shifts and they're loose, which, for non-indexed shifters, is
    pretty much unusable.

    From the diagrams it appears that the clutch washers should be wide ends
    together, pointed ends apart. Can someone confirm this? Can anyone give
    me any other hints to get these working? They're aesthetically much
    nicer than the plastic Sachs-Huret ones, but the Sachs-Huret ones worked
    better...


    you're missing a thin black washer with a non circular hole, which
    ensures that the outer cover washer will not rotate on the bos. Thats
    what the small flats on the end of the shifter boss are for

    ! No, I'm not missing em, I've got 'em; I simply misunderstood what they
    were and assumed they were for setups with a different boss on the frame.
    Many thanks, excellent!

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
    ... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
    [update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

  6. in message <[email hidden]>, Simon D

    (') said:

    After serious thinking M-gineering wrote :

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    I've got myself a pair of beautiful (second hand) Campag downtube
    shifters, new style, non-indexed, to replace the Sachs-Huret shifters
    on my winter bike. For each lever their are the following parts:

    * one baseplate
    * one large brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * one small brass washer, inner diameter to fit frame boss
    * two conical clutch washers, inner diameter to fit fixing bolt
    * one cover washer

    The levers are similar to, but not identical to, the left-hand lever on
    page 37 of http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares01-B.pdf although as
    they're non-indexed the right hand lever is simply a mirror of the
    left. Also, in mine, the lever core - the fifth, sixth and seventh
    components from the left in the drawing - are already assembled into
    the lever and I haven't felt the need to dig them out.

    So what's the problem? The problem is that the fixing bolt unscrews as
    the lever is used. I know that they always did this a bit, which is why
    the bolt had the little butterfly head so that you could manually
    adjust the tension on the clutch. But these are unscrewing dramatically
    - three gear-shifts and they're loose, which, for non-indexed shifters,
    is pretty much unusable.

    From the diagrams it appears that the clutch washers should be wide
    ends together, pointed ends apart. Can someone confirm this? Can anyone
    give me any other hints to get these working? They're aesthetically
    much nicer than the plastic Sachs-Huret ones, but the Sachs-Huret ones
    worked better...


    you're missing a thin black washer with a non circular hole, which
    ensures that the outer cover washer will not rotate on the bos. Thats
    what the small flats on the end of the shifter boss are for

    You may well be right, but I'm not sure what you mean by this - are you
    thinking about the later Synchro levers? As far as I can remember the
    part that prevented rotation on the old Record levers which Simon seems
    to have (from the Super Record days - early 80s - although there was
    never an actual SR downtube lever as such) was a fairly thick white
    plastic washer with two moulded flats to fit the boss (similar to the
    part 7th from the left on Simon's picture). There was, I think, a quite
    small black metal washer next to the wing nut itself, but it didn't
    engage with the boss flats.

    It sounds to me as though Simon has the plastic conical washers, but is
    it possible that he's got two plain ones - without the flats?

    Right: all the parts I've got (except the levers themselves and their
    cores) are here:

    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/tmp/p8040575.jpg

    I've included both the top-hat pieces which I didn't mention in the
    original post because I thought they were simply substitute bosses (they
    clearly aren't). I don't understand these pieces,

    The LH boss on frame (with the RH lever visible behind) is here:

    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/tmp/p8040576.jpg

    Warning: VERY big photos - but you should have enough detail.

    This shows both sides of the lever itself (not very sharp):

    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/tmp/lever.jpg

    As you see

    (i) there are no flats on the end of the boss.
    (ii) all parts are metal
    (iii) the lever has something assembled into its core, which is not
    push-fit

    The Sachs-Huret levers which I removed are plastic assemblies which are not
    obviously dismantlable - remove the screw and the whole assembly comes off
    the boss in one piece.

    I had assumed that the top-hat-shaped parts were the ones that M-gineering
    was referring to, but they don't seem to be. The bosses don't have flats
    for the square slot in the top-hats to engage into, and if you put the top
    hats onto the bosses as they are, then the clutch washers are physically
    prevented from tightening against the lever, so it just flops.

    Quoted message said:

    Simon - as you say, these levers were [censored]: they came loose pretty much
    all the time, and certainly needed tightening every few gear changes.
    That said, your problem does sound extreme. I haven't used them since
    the mid 80s, but I do remember that careful lubrication helped, odd as
    that sounds - you'd expect it to make the things slip more, but
    reducing the friction between the washers actually seemed to improve
    things. I *think8 I used Campag white grease, but it's been a long,
    long time...!

    Come to think of it, I remember this as well: grease, and then clamp up
    harder to resist the slip!

    I think, however (and I'm sure someone out there can confirm for me) that
    I've simply got non-standard bosses. In which case I'm not really sure
    what I'll do, but swapping back to the Sachs-Huret levers isn't
    impossible. The thing is, I hope to replace this frame this winter, and
    when I do I could be a little more careful to choose one with the right
    bosses!

    Quoted message said:

    I can't remember what I did with my old Record levers - it's just
    possible that I have them in an old junk box somewhere. I'll try to
    have a look this weekend in case you need parts, and so that you can
    see the bits we're describing. If i've got them, you're welcome to what
    I have, but I can't make any promises about still having them,
    unfortunately.

    Well, if you have I'd be grateful, but don't put any effort into it. This
    is simple my commuting bike, so isn't hugely important in the first place;
    and at some stage in the not-so-very distant future it[1] will get ergo
    levers, at which point this exercise becomes moot.

    [1] if it gets a new frame, does it remain the same bike?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; all in all you're just another click in the call
    ;; -- Minke Bouyed

  7. in message <[email hidden]>, Simon Brooke

    (') said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, M-gineering

    (') said:

    you're missing a thin black washer with a non circular hole, which
    ensures that the outer cover washer will not rotate on the bos. Thats
    what the small flats on the end of the shifter boss are for

    ! No, I'm not missing em, I've got 'em; I simply misunderstood what they
    were and assumed they were for setups with a different boss on the frame.
    Many thanks, excellent!

    Sadly, the parts I've got didn't fit - see other post.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; better than your average performing pineapple

  8. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Simon Brooke

    (') said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, M-gineering

    (') said:

    you're missing a thin black washer with a non circular hole, which
    ensures that the outer cover washer will not rotate on the bos. Thats
    what the small flats on the end of the shifter boss are for


    ! No, I'm not missing em, I've got 'em; I simply misunderstood what they
    were and assumed they were for setups with a different boss on the frame.
    Many thanks, excellent!

    Sadly, the parts I've got didn't fit - see other post.

    with the older style boss you have a small bracket slipped over the
    square of the boss, which you pick up with a detent on the exterior washer

    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  9. Response to Simon Brooke:

    Quoted message said:

    [1] if it gets a new frame, does it remain the same bike?

    No, it becomes a mythical boat, or a pair of socks, or something:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

    --
    Mark, UK
    "Doubt everything at least once, even the proposition that two times two
    equals four."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.