Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bush trains more seriously than I realized

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,285 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 May 2005
Last activity
16 May 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,285
Views / 30 days
43

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A couple of days ago, when DC was briefly thought to be under attack by
    a small Cessna, Bush was found to be bicycling in a park near Ft Meade,
    Md. This provides evidence that Bush indeed does find ways to get in
    some serious cycling outside of his trips to Crawford, and makes time
    for it during his busy schedule, taking time in the middle of the day
    in the middle of the workweek to train. The Capitol was evacuated,
    Laura Bush and Nancy Reagan were sent underground to the White House
    bunker, and [censored] Cheney was taken to an undisclosed location. The
    Cessna itself came within seconds of being shot down by F-16s scrambled
    against it when it failed to respond to radio warnings. At the last
    second the Cessna's pilot noticed the flares being fired by the
    fighters and followed them to a landing where the pilot and his student
    were arrested. Bush, serious cyclist that he is, was not informed that
    there were major evacuations under way, or that his wife might have
    been in danger, or that a plane was about to be blown out of the sky
    over our nation's capital, until after he finished his ride.

    I would like to congratulate President Bush on his determination and
    concentration on his training; I assume he must have left orders that
    he would not be disturbed on his ride because it is, of course,
    unimagineable that his staff would have either neglected or avoided
    telling him that the threat condition at the White House had been
    raised all the way to "Red"- the top of the threat scale. I would also
    like to apologize to everyone on this newsgroup for doubting the
    President's ability as a mountain biker. It is obvious to me now that
    he takes our sport very seriously and places a very high priority on
    his training.

  2. Quoted message said:

    A couple of days ago, when DC was briefly thought to be under attack


    by

    Quoted message said:

    a small Cessna, Bush was found to be bicycling in a park near Ft


    Meade,

    Quoted message said:

    Md. This provides evidence that Bush indeed does find ways to get in
    some serious cycling outside of his trips to Crawford,

    OK, how far did he ride and for how long and at what speed? And how
    often does he do it? How do you know where he started from? Details,
    please... let's have more susbstance and less speculation this time
    around.

    dkl

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A couple of days ago, when DC was briefly thought to be under attack by
    a small Cessna, Bush was found to be bicycling in a park near Ft Meade,
    Md. This provides evidence that Bush indeed does find ways to get in
    some serious cycling outside of his trips to Crawford, and makes time
    for it during his busy schedule, taking time in the middle of the day
    in the middle of the workweek to train. The Capitol was evacuated,
    Laura Bush and Nancy Reagan were sent underground to the White House
    bunker, and [censored] Cheney was taken to an undisclosed location. The
    Cessna itself came within seconds of being shot down by F-16s scrambled
    against it when it failed to respond to radio warnings. At the last
    second the Cessna's pilot noticed the flares being fired by the
    fighters and followed them to a landing where the pilot and his student
    were arrested. Bush, serious cyclist that he is, was not informed that
    there were major evacuations under way, or that his wife might have
    been in danger, or that a plane was about to be blown out of the sky
    over our nation's capital, until after he finished his ride.

    I would like to congratulate President Bush on his determination and
    concentration on his training; I assume he must have left orders that
    he would not be disturbed on his ride because it is, of course,
    unimagineable that his staff would have either neglected or avoided
    telling him that the threat condition at the White House had been
    raised all the way to "Red"- the top of the threat scale. I would also
    like to apologize to everyone on this newsgroup for doubting the
    President's ability as a mountain biker. It is obvious to me now that
    he takes our sport very seriously and places a very high priority on
    his training.


    Up until that day I had no idea Bush was a cyclist. I know that he is a
    runner, and regularly runs more than 5 miles, I read that he runs daily.

    Ken

  4. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    A couple of days ago, when DC was briefly thought to be under attack


    by

    Quoted message said:

    a small Cessna, Bush was found to be bicycling in a park near Ft


    Meade,

    Quoted message said:

    Md. This provides evidence that Bush indeed does find ways to get in
    some serious cycling outside of his trips to Crawford,

    OK, how far did he ride and for how long and at what speed? And how
    often does he do it? How do you know where he started from? Details,
    please... let's have more susbstance and less speculation this time
    around.

    Reread the OP. You might find just a *hint* of sarcasm in there.

    Maybe. Can't be sure, but maybe.... ;-)

  5. Neil Brooks said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Reread the OP. You might find just a *hint* of sarcasm in there.

    Maybe. Can't be sure, but maybe.... ;-)

    Good point - may be.

    dkl

  6. Quoted message said:

    I assume

    'Nuff said.

    (Nice rantlet, tho' 🙂 )

  7. Bill Sornson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I assume

    'Nuff said.

    (Nice rantlet, tho' 🙂 )

    If I'm not mistaken, he actually got a couple of the couple dozen or
    so details almost right. Moving the right direction, fer shure.

    OTOH, I'm 99.9% certain it didn't much matter WHAT Bush did, Mr. SSTW
    would have taken the opportunity to attempt a bash. As it was, a
    non-event that was over before it started that wasn't communicated to
    Bush somehow becomes a shortcoming on his part?

    I rest my case, yer' worship. I leave this thread in the capable
    hands of those gullible or bored enough to get wrapped up in it.

    Mark "beyond this, of course..." Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  8. An anonymous poster said:

    A couple of days ago,...Bush was found to be bicycling in a park near Ft Meade,
    Md. This provides evidence that Bush indeed does find ways to get in
    some serious cycling outside of his trips to Crawford...

    No, this is not "serious" cycling, this is recreational cycling.
    Serious cycling is cycling for a serious purpose, such as going to and
    from work.

    Quoted message said:

    I would like to congratulate President Bush on his determination and
    concentration on his training; ...It is obvious to me now that
    he takes our sport very seriously and places a very high priority on
    his training.

    I understand where the shy poster is coming from, and probably share his
    or her political outlook, but I've snipped that off-topic part in order
    to deal with the too pervasive issue of "training."

    Racing cyclists "train" so that they can place higher in their races.

    Those of us who are not into the racing scene don't "train", we "ride."

    While I'm at it, for non-racers cycling isn't a "sport."

    It may be a recreation, may be a way to exercise, may be a mode of
    transportation, or may be some combination of those, but it isn't a
    sport if it isn't done for competitive reasons.

    Sheldon "Rides, Doesn't Need To Train For Anything" Brown
    +-----------------------------------------+
    | Man invented language to satisfy his |
    | deep need to complain. -- Lily Tomlin |
    +-----------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  9. Sheldon Brown said:

    Racing cyclists "train" so that they can place higher in their races.

    Those of us who are not into the racing scene don't "train", we


    "ride."

    Training is the practice of an athletic pursuit for the purpose of
    improving performance. Just as a violinist need not be in a symphony
    orchestra to "practice", a cyclist need not be a racer to "train". A
    person who trains challenges themselves to improve. And, in my past I
    have both raced and commuted on a bicycle; now I "train" for my health,
    and I consider that to be by far the most "serious" cycling that I have
    ever done.

    I would agree that people who ride a bicycle without trying to improve
    their performance on it do just "ride".

  10. Sheldon Brown said:


    It may be a recreation, may be a way to exercise, may be a mode of
    transportation, or may be some combination of those, but it isn't a
    sport if it isn't done for competitive reasons.

    So sport has to be competitive?

    Does competition against your previous efforts count?

    Do the measurements have to be numerical or objective?

    Can the effort to be to complete an arduous task, or to perform it with
    style and grace?

    You've blown out a lot of cycling, running, horse riding and sailing.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

  11. Sheldon Brown replied to the OP as follows:

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    This provides evidence that Bush indeed does find ways to get in
    some serious cycling outside of his trips to Crawford...

    No, this is not "serious" cycling, this is recreational cycling.
    Serious cycling is cycling for a serious purpose, such as going to and
    from work.

    The general ussage around here is that a "serious" biker is someone who
    takes riding seriously and does a lot of it. No one would think of calling
    the day laborers who ride to work "serious" cyclists.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would like to congratulate President Bush on his determination and
    concentration on his training; ...It is obvious to me now that
    he takes our sport very seriously and places a very high priority on
    his training.

    I understand where the shy poster is coming from, and probably share his
    or her political outlook, but I've snipped that off-topic part in order
    to deal with the too pervasive issue of "training."

    Racing cyclists "train" so that they can place higher in their races.

    Those of us who are not into the racing scene don't "train", we "ride."

    I tend to disagree. Those who take riding seriously are often "training" as
    much as those who formally race. They are training their cardiovascular
    system, muscles, endurance, etc. They are doing exactly the same thing with
    the same objective as "racers". The fact that they do not compete in formal
    races does not change what they do on a "training" ride. According to
    Sheldon's definitions, "serious" riders do not "train".

    Quoted message said:

    While I'm at it, for non-racers cycling isn't a "sport."

    It may be a recreation, may be a way to exercise, may be a mode of
    transportation, or may be some combination of those, but it isn't a
    sport if it isn't done for competitive reasons.

    Is golf a sport? Or is it a sport only if there is a leader board. Seems a
    little contrived. Is bicycling a sport during a club ride only if the
    riders try to see who finishes first.

    Imho, word meaning is determined by general usage rather than by what is
    logical or what we would wish.

  12. Alfred Ryder said:

    Sheldon Brown replied to the OP as follows:

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    This provides evidence that Bush indeed does find ways to get in
    some serious cycling outside of his trips to Crawford...

    No, this is not "serious" cycling, this is recreational cycling.
    Serious cycling is cycling for a serious purpose, such as going to and
    from work.

    The general ussage around here is that a "serious" biker is someone who
    takes riding seriously and does a lot of it. No one would think of calling
    the day laborers who ride to work "serious" cyclists.

    Correct. Same goes for all those people in China. They are just
    fooling around.

    --
    "Brides gotta run, planes gotta stray, cable news networks got bills to
    pay pay pay"

  13. Sheldon Brown said:

    I understand where the shy poster is coming from, and probably share his
    or her political outlook, but I've snipped that off-topic part in order
    to deal with the too pervasive issue of "training."

    Racing cyclists "train" so that they can place higher in their races.

    Those of us who are not into the racing scene don't "train", we "ride."

    Sheldon? Does that mean I have to take off my training wheels??

    Sigh....

  14. Quoted message said:

    Training is the practice of an athletic pursuit for the purpose of
    improving performance. Just as a violinist need not be in a symphony
    orchestra to "practice", a cyclist need not be a racer to "train". A
    person who trains challenges themselves to improve. And, in my past I
    have both raced and commuted on a bicycle; now I "train" for my health,
    and I consider that to be by far the most "serious" cycling that I have
    ever done.

    I think "exercise" is a better word for what you are describing. You
    "exercise" for your health. I bike, run, cross country ski. When I'm go
    through periods when I'm not training to compete in those sports, I don't
    like to call it training, even though I'm outside exercising two hours a day
    (pretty much my average since childhood). If someone asks me about my
    "training" during those times when I'm exercising but not training, I always
    deny that I'm training and say, "I'm just riding (or running or skiing) for
    fun." On the other hand, if I'm talking to someone about their training, I
    always like to ask what they are training for. And they are always training
    for something: a marathon, or do well in a particular ski race, to race well
    in the local mountain bike series, etc.

  15. Andrew Lee said:
    Quoted message said:

    Training is the practice of an athletic pursuit for the purpose of
    improving performance. Just as a violinist need not be in a


    symphony

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    orchestra to "practice", a cyclist need not be a racer to "train".


    A

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    person who trains challenges themselves to improve. And, in my past


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have both raced and commuted on a bicycle; now I "train" for my


    health,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and I consider that to be by far the most "serious" cycling that I


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ever done.

    I think "exercise" is a better word for what you are describing.

    Nope. "Exercise" doesn't have the connotation of improving performance.
    My secondary comment about my reason for training addressed the issue
    of whether my riding, training or exercising on a bicycle is "serious".

  16. Quoted message said:

    It's the level of challenge that makes the difference, I think. If a


    gut check

    Quoted message said:

    is required it's sport.

    Been to your local bowling alley lateley? There's a sport with some big
    guts! (HA)

    Eric

  17. Ken said:
    Quoted message said:


    Up until that day I had no idea Bush was a cyclist. I know that he is


    a

    Quoted message said:

    runner, and regularly runs more than 5 miles, I read that he runs


    daily.

    Quoted message said:


    Ken

    Well, I'll say he runs and rides a bicycle but I wouldn't call him a
    'runner' or a 'cyclist'...nor many other things.....

    Not surprized they didn't tell him. The whole thing reminded me of the
    time when Haig, as SecState announced, 'I am in charge'...same stuff
    applies to Cheney and Rummy.....sarcasm intended.

  18. Sheldon Brown said:

    Racing cyclists "train" so that they can place higher in their races.

    Those of us who are not into the racing scene don't "train", we "ride."

    Not true. Training is any activity intended to improve skill or
    performance, in this case the body's performance under the stress
    of cycling.

    The reason for which the improved performance is desired, whether it's
    to win races, ride a certain hill or loop more quickly or stay with a
    certain bunch on a regular ride, is a separate matter.

    Quoted message said:

    While I'm at it, for non-racers cycling isn't a "sport."

    Nonsense. A sport is anything that individuals or teams agree to compete
    at. For example, timed hill climbs.

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

  19. why bother him? he needs a break from killing us.

  20. Eric said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's the level of challenge that makes the difference, I think. If a


    gut check

    Quoted message said:

    is required it's sport.

    Been to your local bowling alley lateley? There's a sport with some big
    guts! (HA)

    Eric

    There's proof that sport is not defined by competition.

    Ron

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.