jcjordan said:Bleve said:
In some ways the selling bike shop has to accept some of the risk with
a warranty claim, I think that's not entirely unreasonable - and if
you
take the bike back to a different retailer then it's only fair that
they charge for their time. They didn't make anything on the sale.
I dont see why, they are not responsible for a faulty product; at least
not in this case.
To a certain extent I agree, but the retailer is part of the chain,
they have to accept some of the financial risk. It may be reasonably
low risk - eg if a part breaks they may only need to spend a bit of
time contacting the wholesaler/distributor, but it's still a risk. The
retailer also has to accept that they "push" (for lack of a better
term) a product, and if it has problems they are partially responsible
- they did recommend it. If they'd said to you "these wheels are junk,
buy something else", then the case is different, but I doubt they did
that!
I'm not saying Bonty select wheels are junk (I don't know enough about
them to have an opinion). But, when a shop sells something they have
to accept some responsibility for the suitability of what they're
selling (or you'd just buy off ebay, right?!). You pay a premium at an
LBS because you value advice and service. As such, if that advice is
poor, then the LBS should take some responsibility for it.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Maybe a fairer solution would be for Trek to replace the whole wheel,
saving the LBS the time having to rebuild wheels (which is time
consuming). I suspect if it was our LBS that we'd fix it for free if
we'd sold it as part of good service to our customers. We've done
this
with other bikes that have bounced back on warranty. Even if Trek
replaced the whole wheel the LBS still has to spend time chasing up
the
claim for you, and as it's not the shop that you bought the bike from
it seems only fair that they charge for some of that time.
I hope you did not think I was blaming the guys in the rideshop, they
have been nothing but the greatest help in relation to this. Heck they
were even grumbling that they thought Trek would just send complete
wheels
No, and I apologise if it seemed that way.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:The question is, who pays?! There's the question of just how did the
wheels end up broken too - wheels cop a lot of abuse - what made them
fail? Overtightening? Design fault? Bashing into a kerb? 🙂 8 months
is a meaningless figure anyway, how much have you used them in that 8
months? 5,000km? 20,000km? Crashed them at all? Not an easy
question, alas.
I agree wheels do cop some heavy use, but in this case never crashed,
cleaned regularly and I dont consider 200-300km a week heavy use.
I wouldn't consider that hard use either, but now we know it! Prior to
now, only you knew it 🙂
A lot can go wrong with wheels - they can have manufacturing defects,
they can be under-engineered (hello, shimano, this means your R540&
R550 wheels ...), they can be over or under or unevenly tightened, and
they can be bashed into things! In this case, you suggest that the
rims have split - this would imply either a manufacturing defect or
underengineering (quite possible) or overtightening of the spokes, or a
bash. Without actually seeing the rims it's difficult to say what
caused the problem. even with seeing them, it may be difficult to
determine what caused the problem. As such, the Trek distributor may
be doing you a favour (may .. not is definatly!) by replacing the rims
without question, as it *may* (I'm stressing the word for a reason!)
not be a fault with the manufacture of the wheels. Then again, maybe
the wheels you got were faulty? They are pretty cheap wheels - Trek
cut a few corners to get the 1500 as cheap as it is. At least they
didn't skimp on the frame! The low-end Trek roadbikes have very good
frames.
Quoted message said:Still we will see what happens, the important part is that I have them
back and I can ride again. the missus reckons this week has been hell
and is glad to have a non grumpy husband, even if i do leave my gear
all over the lounge 😄
heh!