UK and Europe · Public discussion

BIkes & Trains - Refused access even though I had a reservation :-|

Started by Simon L · · Last activity · 22 posts · 606 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
3 May 2006
Last activity
4 May 2006
Original author
Simon L
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
606
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK, I've got no problems with the guard who was in a difficult position
    with an overful train (two bloody carriages this morning) but I am
    rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
    find I was the only passenger refused access.

    The guard on the following train also refused me access because he had
    an overful train ('sorry mate, should have four coaches but they've
    only given me two.'😉 but I had a great big whinge at him (the train
    wasn't quite so packed as the previous one) and I squeezed myself +
    bike on.

    Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?

    Talking to someone from GNER last week it seems that the terms of the
    franchise agreements make it better for the train companies to put on
    many short trains rather than a few longer ones... hey ho I guess
    that's one for uk.railway

  2. Simon L wrote:

    .... hey ho I guess

    Quoted message said:

    that's one for uk.railway

    I wouldn't bother they'll probably accuse you of being a scrounging
    lycra lout taking up the place of fare paying passengers... sorry pax

  3. Simon L said:

    I am <> rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
    find I was the only passenger refused access.
    <>

    Quoted message said:

    Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?


    Suggest you post this on uk.railway for the best chance of a
    well-informed opinion.

    Jon

  4. Simon L said:

    Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?

    You could try getting a full refund for the price you paid for your bike to be
    carried (ie nothing). IMO this is a reason why trains should sell tickets for
    bicycle spaces so we have some guarentee of carriage

  5. Quoted message said:

    IMO this is a reason why trains
    should sell tickets for bicycle spaces so we have some guarentee of
    carriage

    Yeah. And the same should go for suitcases and pushchairs -- bloody
    scroungers.

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon L said:

    Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?

    You could try getting a full refund for the price you paid for your bike


    to be

    Quoted message said:

    carried (ie nothing). IMO this is a reason why trains should sell tickets


    for

    Quoted message said:

    bicycle spaces so we have some guarentee of carriage

    I think that you will find in the small print that unless you have a booked
    seat there is no obligation for them to carry you on any given train let
    alone your bike no matter how much you have paid.

    If they are unable to provide the service you are entitled to a refund - not
    that it helps you get home.

    Dave

  7. Simon L said:

    OK, I've got no problems with the guard who was in a difficult position
    with an overful train (two bloody carriages this morning) but I am
    rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
    find I was the only passenger refused access.

    In my experience cycle reservations are meaningless. Sometimes I've had
    one and sometimes I haven't but I've never been asked to produce it. On
    occasions where I've been refused access it would have made no
    difference at all as either a) the cycle spaces were already occupied,
    or b) there was no provision for carrying cycles at all.

    --
    Dave...

  8. dkahn400 said:
    Simon L said:

    OK, I've got no problems with the guard who was in a difficult position
    with an overful train (two bloody carriages this morning) but I am
    rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
    find I was the only passenger refused access.

    Quoted message said:

    In my experience cycle reservations are meaningless. Sometimes I've had
    one and sometimes I haven't but I've never been asked to produce it. On
    occasions where I've been refused access it would have made no
    difference at all as either a) the cycle spaces were already occupied,
    or b) there was no provision for carrying cycles at all.

    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
    probably with a few days detour on the way back.

    Roos

  9. Roos Eisma said:

    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
    probably with a few days detour on the way back.

    Assuming I haven't managed to cart it over here, Hooves2 is still chez mes
    parents, about 20 miles south of Peterbruff! If you are liable to find
    yourselves in the area, my parents are reasonably friendly (As Mr Causer
    of this parish will hopefully testify) and could be relied upon to make
    suitable admiring noises and ply you with tea / fresh water.

    Jon

  10. Roos Eisma said:

    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham, probably
    with a few days detour on the way back.

    The Cambridge Recumbent Tendency have a ride on Friday lunchtime from near
    the city centre to places near & far, depending on weather, time
    available, and whether there are guests present. Any possibility of
    joining us?

    Mailing list: http://www.nomadicshock.com/mailman/listinfo/cambent

    Mike

  11. "Roos Eisma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
    probably with a few days detour on the way back.

    Roos

    North Elmham??? The one a bit north of Dereham???

    If it is, there's tea/coffee/food and a welcome at Chateau Unfit Family
    should you require it.

    Cheers, helen s

  12. Jon Senior said:

    Assuming I haven't managed to cart it over here, Hooves2 is still chez mes
    parents, about 20 miles south of Peterbruff! If you are liable to find
    yourselves in the area, my parents are reasonably friendly (As Mr Causer
    of this parish will hopefully testify)

    Indeed! Have they got used to the idea that any recumbentist they meet
    on their travels is likely already to be aquainted with you? Such is the
    power and influence of uk.r.c!

    Mike

  13. My experience also.

  14. Mike Causer said:

    Indeed! Have they got used to the idea that any recumbentist they meet
    on their travels is likely already to be aquainted with you? Such is the
    power and influence of uk.r.c!

    To be honest, I think they find the whole thing rather amusing.

    Jon

  15. Roos Eisma said:

    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
    probably with a few days detour on the way back.

    Roos

    I have recently taken the 'bent on a train for the first time -Leicester
    to Stafford, Central and Virgin. There were no problems. I was told
    there might be a problem with Virgin, but this was unfounded. Just
    slightly worrying that the bike is locked in and requires station staff
    with a key to let you off or you are stuck!
    Jo

  16. Roos Eisma said:

    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
    probably with a few days detour on the way back.


    Hi Roos, Jon, Peter and all users of recumbent bikes. I am currently
    trying to get GNER to reverse the on-line booking ban for recumbents /
    ligfiets.
    I don't think 'ban' is being enforced. Stations won't even know about
    it I reckon.
    My worry is that it appears in print soon and they start banning any
    non-standard bike.
    Due to meet GNER next week. Meeting has been re-timed several times so
    here's hoping.

  17. LaidBack said:

    Hi Roos, Jon, Peter and all users of recumbent bikes. I am currently
    trying to get GNER to reverse the on-line booking ban for recumbents /
    ligfiets.
    I don't think 'ban' is being enforced. Stations won't even know about
    it I reckon.

    This is our assumption: we show up and if they make a fuss then (a) we
    point out they've taken these exact specimens before without any
    trouble, nobody mentioned it when I booked the bikes on (quite true) and
    (c) if length is /really/ an issue we'll take the booms out.

    Quoted message said:

    Due to meet GNER next week. Meeting has been re-timed several times so
    here's hoping.

    And we're hoping right along with you! But IOE of taking the 'bents on
    trains thus far (Scotrail (old), First Scotrail and GNER) people have
    seemed very willing to help rather than hinder.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. On Thu, 04 May 2006 10:35:50 +0100 someone who may be Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    But IOE of taking the 'bents on
    trains thus far (Scotrail (old), First Scotrail and GNER) people have
    seemed very willing to help rather than hinder.

    With the former they fit very nicely in the flexible space on a
    Class 170 train where I have seen a handful, don't fit in the cycle
    space of a Class 158 train (where even a large wheeled upright bike
    is a squeeze) and might be a problem in a Class 156 train due to the
    ridiculous metalwork installed to hold upright bikes vertically for
    those willing and able to lift them up.

    On the latter there is always a reasonably large van, especially on
    the electric trains. On the diesel ones the large van may not be a
    help because it is off the end of some platforms in Scotland unless
    the driver stops specially.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  19. Jon Senior said:
    Roos Eisma said:

    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
    probably with a few days detour on the way back.

    Quoted message said:

    Assuming I haven't managed to cart it over here, Hooves2 is still chez mes
    parents, about 20 miles south of Peterbruff! If you are liable to find
    yourselves in the area, my parents are reasonably friendly (As Mr Causer
    of this parish will hopefully testify) and could be relied upon to make
    suitable admiring noises and ply you with tea / fresh water.

    You mean, Hooves2 is a bit lonely and likes visitors? 🙂
    Thanks, I'll email you nearer the time for details, it's quite possible we
    will
    return to P'borough from the South side after a Norfolk loop.

    Roos

  20. Mike Causer said:

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:10:48 +0000, Roos Eisma wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
    Peterborough in July....
    Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham, probably
    with a few days detour on the way back.

    Quoted message said:

    The Cambridge Recumbent Tendency have a ride on Friday lunchtime from near
    the city centre to places near & far, depending on weather, time
    available, and whether there are guests present. Any possibility of
    joining us?

    We will only be there on Friday 21 July, and have to ride that day from
    somewhere East of Peterborough to North Elmham. That may be a bit out of
    the way for a lunchtime ride?

    Roos

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.