Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Bicycle Search Engine

Started by Ryan Lanctot · · Last activity · 23 posts · 974 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
27 November 2006
Last activity
30 November 2006
Original author
Ryan Lanctot
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
974
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. remove DAKS to reply said:

    --
    Frank
    [email hidden]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "Vincent Patrick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Donga said:


    Bleve wrote:
    > Donga wrote:
    >
    >
    > > I couldn't comment on African morality myself. I've never been
    > > there.


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > don't know their religious and cultural background and values. It's
    > > a big continent with a lot of diversity and that magnifies my lack
    > > of knowledge. I can't assume they have the same moral constructs as
    > > me, let alone the rest of Australia. I certainly wouldn't try to
    > > force my morality on them. Heck, if their morality says women don't
    > > go out of the house to work but men do, hence the men need bikes,
    > > well shut the gate, that's their business. I could just join a
    > > church and head over there telling them to repent or burn in hell.
    > > You seem to have a lot


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > confidence in your morality Vince.
    >
    > Cultural relativism is a dangerous thing, use it with care.

    If you're saying it might end up in excusing ethnic cleansing or
    somesuch, I see your point, but the reverse is intolerance of
    diversity, with its own dangers.

    Yeah, it's a bit strange that some people here are so confident African


    men

    Quoted message said:

    are less moral than themselves.

    Cheers,

    Vince

    'We all try to be tolerant of the intolerant people around us, but we
    usually fail.'

    In this case it seems that baby steps are what's needed. If the culture is
    such that women don't ride bicycles, for whatever reason, it seems silly
    to give them one. Surely in a situation where limited resources are to be
    distributed it's best to direct those resources where they will be used.
    It's better to give bikes that will be used rather than bikes that stand
    idle (for whatever reason).

    Once people have the ability to survive, the cultural aspects of equality,
    etc. can be addressed. First, they got to eat. We take survival as granted
    - for many people in the world survival is a luxury. Imagine, then, the
    luxury of a bicycle which helps survival.

    I have a Filipina friend who, although almost completely westernised,
    still refuses to ride a bike. For her there is a deep cultural taboo which
    precludes women on bikes. Why would I give her a bike? It seems to me that
    would be a awaste of a resource.

    In the case of the organisation in question here I think their approach is
    fair - give bikes to the people who will use them. I'm sure there are
    other organisations involved with inflicting our
    ethical/cultural/civilisation on the people. It's hard to convert dead
    people...

    I don't really want to dip into relativism but nor am I an absolutist. I
    don't want to deprive a family of a chance of survival simply because I
    believe the organisation working to enable survival is sexist. Perhaps it
    is, but the bottom line is that a bike given to a man can (and does)
    enable the family to eat. I'm afraid my moral ground is not high enough to
    withold aid that helps women, children and men survive based on a
    (relatively) sophisticated argument of sexism.

    Charity is about giving someone what they need, not what you think they
    should have. They need bikes, you think they need a different moral
    construct. That can come later...

    Me

    Yeah, it's unfortunate the OP did not seem too keen on providing bikes to
    everyone. Although you suggest the OP's position is a moral high ground,
    in my view it's more like a pre-chewed sloppy ideology from last century.
    It is unlikely they will listen to your argument, but who knows.

    Cheers,

    Vince

  2. Theo Bekkers said:
    Vincent Patrick said:

    The life expectancy of a Namibian man is somewhere under 45 years, so
    he is less likely to be in your child-free (DINKy) position.

    That doesn't mean there are no older people.

    True, in theory. However, in practice there is a much higher proportion of
    younger people in Namibia than in Australia.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Probably quite a bit of sharing and economic interdependency going on
    too, and so a bike for the African dad may help the family
    economically.

    The African dad with a job mostly works away from home, being away for
    weeks or even months at a time. If he takes the bike with him, consider
    that the average African woman has to cart all the water used in the home
    from an average distance of one mile.

    Interesting hypothesis - do you have any facts or references to back it up?
    Of course it may also be that a bicycle used by the father can do more good
    for the family.

    Even if bicycles used by men did yield better outcomes for families, I would
    not be happy with a bicycle distribution campaign which empowered men by
    supplying bikes only to fathers. Why not leave it up to the families
    involved to decide the best use?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm happy to think the group distributing the bicycles has done some
    research, knows where the need lies, and is supplying that need. Unlike
    you and I who are working off conjecture.

    It is hardly conjecture and it doesn't take a lot of research to know that
    at least some men will make excellent use of a bike. If women (on average)
    were more likely to make good use of the bikes, the bikes could still be
    distributed based on individual poverty and foreseeable use, rather than
    gender.

    Quoted message said:

    Theo

    Cheers and thanks for the discussion.

    Vince

  3. --
    Frank
    [email hidden]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "Donga" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Plodder (remove DAKS to reply) wrote:

    Nicely put, Plodder.

    Donga

    thangyewverrmuch 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.