UK and Europe · Public discussion

Anodised bolts in cool colours; where from?

Started by Mr R@t \(2.30zi\) · · Last activity · 12 posts · 441 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 August 2006
Last activity
18 August 2006
Original author
Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
441
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is there a good online supplier for these things? Years ago my mate had
    loads on his bike...

    I occasionally see them in LBS's (but have not found any round here) and in
    small (and presumably pricey) packs in the shops that gary boys and
    motorcyclists use but can they be bought online?

    I found loads of suppliers for normal nuts and bolts but not any anodised
    ones

    Alex
    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com

  2. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    Is there a good online supplier for these things? Years ago my mate had
    loads on his bike...

    I occasionally see them in LBS's (but have not found any round here) and in
    small (and presumably pricey) packs in the shops that gary boys and
    motorcyclists use but can they be bought online?

    I found loads of suppliers for normal nuts and bolts but not any anodised
    ones

    A quick google found this one:-

    http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/store/

    Never used them, don't know anything about them, caveat emptor, etc,
    etc.

    -Alex

  3. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    Is there a good online supplier for these things? Years ago my mate
    had loads on his bike...

    I occasionally see them in LBS's (but have not found any round here)
    and in small (and presumably pricey) packs in the shops that gary
    boys and motorcyclists use but can they be bought online?

    They're pricey online as well.

    Quoted message said:

    I found loads of suppliers for normal nuts and bolts but not any
    anodised ones

    Search www.ebay.co.uk for "anodised bolts", "anodised screws", "anodized
    bolts", "anodized screws", "alloy bolts", etc.

    Remember that aluminium alloy screws are much weaker than steel ones, so use
    them for light-duty things only. Afaik, all anodised screws are Al.

    ~PB

  4. Alex said:


    A quick google found this one:-

    http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/store/

    Never used them, don't know anything about them, caveat emptor, etc,
    etc.

    "Minimum order value £1000 & Minimum quantity 1000" :-)

    ~PB

  5. Pete Biggs said:
    Alex said:


    A quick google found this one:-

    http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/store/

    Never used them, don't know anything about them, caveat emptor, etc,
    etc.

    "Minimum order value £1000 & Minimum quantity 1000" :-)

    I think that's only for the "Made to order considered" bullet above.

    -Alex

  6. Pete Biggs said:

    They're pricey online as well.

    so they are... :/

    Quoted message said:

    Remember that aluminium alloy screws are much weaker than steel ones,
    so use them for light-duty things only. Afaik, all anodised screws
    are Al.

    so what is "heavy" and "light" duty parts on a bike? Further research seemed
    to show that the garys were using these bolts on all sorts of bits of their
    cars and motorbikes including what I would expect to be safety critical
    parts. OK they are by no means suitable role models but I don't read about
    cars falling apart because of inappropriate use of these bolts and here in
    Suffolk I /would/ have read something by now if this was happening
    regularly...

    Does that mean that its inadvisable to use these for much else than the
    waterbottle mounting cage?

    Alex
    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com

  7. Pete Biggs said:

    Remember that aluminium alloy screws are much weaker than steel ones, so use
    them for light-duty things only. Afaik, all anodised screws are Al.

    Yup, anodising is a coloured corrosion (rusting) process. Unlike steel,
    aluminium corrodes to leavs a protective surface layer.

    --
    Stephen Patterson :: [email hidden] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
    GPG: E3E8E974 :: Jabber: [email hidden]
    "At night, the razor weasels come."

  8. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Remember that aluminium alloy screws are much weaker than steel ones,
    so use them for light-duty things only. Afaik, all anodised screws
    are Al.

    so what is "heavy" and "light" duty parts on a bike? Further research
    seemed to show that the garys were using these bolts on all sorts of
    bits of their cars and motorbikes including what I would expect to be
    safety critical parts.

    Like what? I'd be very surprised if they were used on truly safety-critical
    parts where the bolts are highly stressed, but I know little about cars and
    motorcycles.

    Quoted message said:

    OK they are by no means suitable role models
    but I don't read about cars falling apart because of inappropriate
    use of these bolts and here in Suffolk I /would/ have read something
    by now if this was happening regularly...

    Let's stick to bicycles, which actually take quite a lot of stress.....

    Quoted message said:

    Does that mean that its inadvisable to use these for much else than
    the waterbottle mounting cage?

    Threads seizing and heads and threads stripping are another couple of issues
    besides sheer strength and fatigue resistance. It's just not possible to
    get alloy bolts as tight, and having the bolts tight is the best way of
    securing components on the bike.

    The front of a handlebar stem would be a [censored] place for alloy bolts, for
    example, because that area gets well stressed. Titanium is a compromise
    weight weenies go for there, but they're boring in colour.

    The steerer clamp bolts and top bolt on ahead stems aren't so critical,
    though.
    I do have alloy bolts retaining my square-taper cranks on one bike, but I'm
    not sure that's sensible (Jobst Brandt says not, see Google Groups).

    Alloy chainring bolts are OK, and come in pretty colours.

    ~PB

  9. In article <[email hidden]>

    Stephen Patterson said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    Remember that aluminium alloy screws are much weaker than steel ones, so use
    them for light-duty things only. Afaik, all anodised screws are Al.

    Yup, anodising is a coloured corrosion (rusting) process. Unlike steel,
    aluminium corrodes to leavs a protective surface layer.


    Stainless steel can be anodised too.

  10. Also take into account the number of bolts on a component. If one of four
    bolts goes on the front of a stem, it's not too bad, but if it's one of
    two......!!

    Then there is the size (diameter). Manufacturers use steel bolts because
    they are cheap, but still tend to keep the size of the bolts down to save
    weight. So the reliability is not very much more than minimal already. Of
    course it's usually not possible to fit fatter bolts when replacing them
    with alloys.

    ~PB

  11. Rob Morley said:

    Stainless steel can be anodised too.

    That's the answer for Mr R@t then. (Sorry I got that point wrong).

    ~PB

  12. In article said:
    Rob Morley said:

    Stainless steel can be anodised too.

    That's the answer for Mr R@t then. (Sorry I got that point wrong).

    Unless he wants titanium, which can also be anodised. But which he
    won't find cheaply anywhere either.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.