rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

A cheap, speedy unicycle?

Started by tylercox · · Last activity · 18 posts · 858 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
31 March 2005
Last activity
2 April 2005
Original author
tylercox
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
858
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey,

    My new dream is a really fast unicycle that's not over $150. Kind of a
    hard deal, but I was looking at the $89 Sun 28". I'm not concerned
    about strength because I will only be "cruising" on it, but my concern
    is whether it will be fast enough. How fast is it compared to a Coker?
    How fast is it compared to a 20"? How fast is it in MPH? Finally,
    what's your opinion on it for a light cruiser (like going a few miles at
    max)? Thanks a ton!

    -Tyler 🙂

    --
    tylercox - I'm gooder than you!

    Proud Freestylist and a Freestyle Club Member!

    I'm 160 on the NKS System...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  2. tylercox said:

    *Hey,

    My new dream is a really fast unicycle that's not over $150. Kind of
    a hard deal, but I was looking at the $89 Sun 28". I'm not concerned
    about strength because I will only be "cruising" on it, but my concern
    is whether it will be fast enough. How fast is it compared to a
    Coker? How fast is it compared to a 20"? How fast is it in MPH?
    Finally, what's your opinion on it for a light cruiser (like going a
    few miles at max)? Thanks a ton!

    -Tyler 🙂 *

    Reid has one of these. He rode 26 miles on it last saturday, while I
    road my Coker. He actually left me behind at one point. I rode it
    about 1 mile of that while he completely left me behind on my Coker. He
    has had it for a while w/o a single problem. If your not abusing it and
    just riding, it's a great deal.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    -*[-F-O-N-T-=-c-e-n-t-u-r-y- -g-o-t-h-i-c-]-'-H-e-l-p- -C-u-r-e-
    -D-i-a-b-e-t-e-s- -b-y- -S-u-p-p-o-r-t-i-n-g- -M-y- -R-i-d-e-'-
    -(-h-t-t-p-:-/-/-t-i-n-y-u-r-l-.-c-o-m-/-6-8-m-k-v-)- -[-/-F-O-N-T-]- -
    * -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  3. tylercox said:

    *How fast is it compared to a Coker? How fast is it compared to a
    20"? How fast is it in MPH? *


    A Coker is faster. A bigger wheel is faster, a smaller wheel is slower.
    Crank length will make some difference, but generally not enough to
    overcome wheel size. The Sun is the cheapest thing you can get for going
    relatively fast.

    Quoted message said:

    *Finally, what's your opinion on it for a light cruiser (like going a
    few miles at max)?*


    For relatively short distances like that, I think you'll like it a lot.
    The longer the ride, the more you'll wish you have a Coker (or something
    bigger).

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  4. I have the Sun 28" and it's great for cruising distances. I even took
    it on my first XC trail ride yesterday for about 4 miles in total. As
    long as you don't do any heavy drops it will survive. The only thing I
    suggest is changing the seat as soon as you get it. It's very
    uncomfortable. Here's a picture of the trails I was riding.

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: greenbeltride 020.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/293848|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    shibumi - On A Uni

    Jeff
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    shibumi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8816
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  5. If the crank length is same and your keep a constant cadence then your
    speed on a 28" will be ...your speed on a 20" multiplied by 28/20. Your
    speed on a Coker will be 1.5 times your speed on a 24".

    --
    Denali - Heil Denali
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Denali's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9085
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  6. tylercox said:

    *Soooo, how fast would that be? How fast can the average Joe (me) go
    on a 20 incher? *

    Tyler:

    Goto: http://home.austin.rr.com/ironjungle/uc_scr.html

    Click on the screen shot to download the software.

    --
    newtouni - Self Proclaimed Unicycling Dufus

    Download UniCalc
    (The Unicycle Calculator) free from
    http://www.ironjungle.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  7. Ok, I saw the sun comes with 150 cranks, so should I stick with those or
    get shorter ones? If I should get shorter ones, which ones (on
    www.unicycle.com - link please!) and which size? Thanks in advance!

    --
    tylercox - I'm gooder than you!

    Proud Freestylist and a Freestyle Club Member!

    I'm 160 on the NKS System...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  8. Strangely, it is easier to use fairly short cranks on a big wheel than a
    small one - something to do with the smoothness of the bigger wheel.
    The only problem comes with stopping, idling, and hill climbing.

    I ride my 28 on 110s - I've even off roaded in the forest and on mud
    with 110s - not with very lively success, I'll grant you!

    150s are for MUni, or for general purpose Cokering. Even 125s feel long
    on my 28.

    There's a question of personal taste and experience, as well as your
    local riding conditions. I'd definitely say that 150s will feel
    "plodding" on a 28 unless you are very very good at spinning fast.
    Cheap alloy cranks from unicycle dot com cost about as much as a pizza
    and a beer, so you're not committing yourself for life when you buy.

    If you are a confident rider, go for 110s; if you are just fairly
    confident, go for 125s.

    As your priorities are cheapness and speed (rather than hard riding and
    robustness) just buy the bog standard ones for now.

    Just a suggestion - but I own and ride 20,24,26,28 and 36, and own
    89,102,110,125 and 150 cranks (and once had 170s) so I know whereof I
    speak.

    --
    Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

    Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  9. I would say the longest you should go for is 110's. You can always get 2
    pair of the inexpensive ones (torker, united) and have one pair (102's
    or 89's) for speed and one pair (125's) for whatever other applications
    you have. However, I'd try not to do this as frequent crank switching
    will wear down your tapers fast.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - SWAT

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
    'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
    'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

    \"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

    \"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
    mental

    *disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
    are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
    feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
    everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheObieOne3226's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4851
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  10. tylercox said:

    *Ok, I saw the sun comes with 150 cranks, so should I stick with those
    or get shorter ones? If I should get shorter ones, which ones (on
    www.unicycle.com - link please!) and which size? Thanks in advance! *

    I have 125s on my 29" Yuni, a slightly more expensive uni you might
    consider for strength--you will get bigger in the next few years...
    Another advantage is that it takes both a 28 or 29" tire--with some nice
    choices there, and 29 cruises better than a 28".

    You'll notice that people have cranks as short as 89s.

    Short cranks create difficulty in starting, stopping and the of course
    they are dangerous to ride on the crowded sidewalks or through hallways
    on your way to class. The advantage is that you get a lot more
    speed.

    I don't think you can get Sun to give you other cranks anyway, so try
    the 150s, and them try something shorter if you feel comfortable.

    Enjoy.

    Billy

    --
    BillyTheMountain - Team YAMS member

    Im a Yamsta
    Team YAMS member
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BillyTheMountain's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5357
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  11. Yeah i rode with the 150's for several monthes just fine, but when i
    swithced to the 89's recently i could barely self mount, i can now but
    for the first few days i had some trouble, i still cant idle so i just
    went back to using the hop technique, and its a really strain on your
    legs, like your just leaning how to ride, but once you get use to them
    its super awomse..

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - Level 5

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...

    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unitik908's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8690
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  12. TheObieOne3226 said:

    *I hate you for charging $5. *

    Gee. Hate is a strong word. I just charge if you need the foot speed
    calculation.

    Tell you what, PM me and I'll give you a free copy if you need it.

    But... don't hate me.

    --
    newtouni - Self Proclaimed Unicycling Dufus

    Download UniCalc
    (The Unicycle Calculator) free from
    http://www.ironjungle.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  13. Unitik908 said:

    *Yeah i rode with the 150's for several monthes just fine, but when i
    swithced to the 89's recently i could barely self mount,*

    That's a hell of a percentage change. Of course it made a difference.
    That's just huge.

    The next step from 150s is about 125s or, at best, 110s. I ride my 28
    on 110s with great confidence, but find the step to 102 a challenge. I
    rode my 24 on 102s for ages and found the change to 89s a challenge.

    It's simple enough maths.

    --
    Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

    Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  14. I've followed most of the long crank/short crank debate threads over the
    past few years, as well as riding a 29/28-er with cranks lengths varying
    from 110mm - 150mm.

    I don't like to see the almost knee-jerk response of '125mm or shorter
    for the big wheel unis'; there's lots of factors involved and, in some
    cases, 150mm (or even longer) is entirely appropriate.

    Admittedly, most who ride a lot seem to end up going for 125s or less,
    however, I suspect that part of that is due to the amount of negativity
    expressed here about long cranks for anything but muni.

    I've noticed that many of the proponents of very short cranks tend to
    have shorter legs, it makes sense to me that many with longer legs will
    perhaps fare better with a longer crank.

    The theoretical speed increase that comes with short cranks doesn't
    always translate into a practical speed increase- if the loss of control
    that accompanies shorter cranks results in either more UPDs, or, due to
    fear of coming off, actually results in pedaling so much slower that the
    average speed decreases.

    Another factor, if you're riding on the road, you need to be very, very
    solid and in control (out of respect for your own safety, and that of
    other road users)- 150mm may give you an edge there.

    Is the place you ride extremely hilly? If so, then riding downhill with
    short cranks can damage your knees, riding uphill can be harder.

    Do you ride regularly, or do you tend to have gaps of weeks between some
    of your riding? IMO, for shorter cranks to be useful and safe,
    consistent and regular riding is important.

    I live in a very hilly place, I don't always ride that consistently, I
    have longish legs; these, combined with practical experience (I found
    125's to feel unsafe on the road and unpleasant on steep downhills- I
    found 110's to be lethal) mean that I use 150's on my 29-er, and I'm
    very happy with them, and I find I can go faster with them than with
    125's.

    I've seen Mike Fule ride down what seemed to me to be a totally
    impractical hill on a 28" uni with short cranks, and I know that many
    others prefer 110's on Cokers etc, but it's not for me.

    And that's what I'm saying, different crank lengths suit different
    people, and some do do better with a longer crank.

    -------------

    I'll also mention here that what some others have said about paying a
    bit more and getting a 29-er is worth considering.

    I came to seriously dislike my 28" uni, but I love it with a fat tyre; I
    just prefer being able to ride for the joy of it, rather than having to
    consider every little bump on the road that will throw me off a 28", but
    that the 29-er just rides over.

    I think to enjoy a 28"-er you've got to be really into the skill of
    being constantly alert and studying the terrain- which is a totally OK
    thing to be into; but, if you're more into just riding fairly fast,
    fairly long distance with minimal hassle and UPD risk, then the 29-er is
    the machine to go for.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  15. And, again concerning crank length, if you get a uni with 150's, why not
    order a set of 125's as well; cranks are pretty cheap. That way you can
    give both a try.

    (Don't forget to buy a crank extractor tool, and read up some of the
    threads here about how to switch cranks).

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  16. onewheeldave said:

    *.
    .
    .

    I came to seriously dislike my 28" uni, but I love it with a fat tyre;
    I just prefer being able to ride for the joy of it, rather than having
    to consider every little bump on the road that will throw me off a
    28", but that the 29-er just rides over.

    I think to enjoy a 28"-er you've got to be really into the skill of
    being constantly alert and studying the terrain- which is a totally OK
    thing to be into; but, if you're more into just riding fairly fast,
    fairly long distance with minimal hassle and UPD risk, then the 29-er
    is the machine to go for. *

    You lost me here. How could there be so much difference between a 28"
    and a 29"? Did you mean to compare a 28" and a 36"? Or, does the fat
    tire make the 28" into a 29"?

    For some time, I have been debating with myself over the 29er vs Coker
    issue. I have just about decided to go with a 29er with 125mm cranks. I
    think I am too old (and too chicken) to put up with the abuse that some
    people seem to experience with Coker crashes. I want to be able to ride
    moderate distances and I am not interested in breaking any land speed
    records.

    --
    mucRider - From the Over 50 Group

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary
    and those who don't.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  17. It's like the difference between an old-style 24" uni with standard slim
    tyre, and a 24x3 muni. You can do muni on a standard tyre, but it's
    totally different from the muni you'll do on a 24x3.

    To me, a 28" rides totally different to a 29-er, despite the fact that
    the 29-er is simply a 28" with a fat tyre.

    The fat tyre makes for a easier ride on any terrain that has
    irregularities; things that will throw you off on a 28" uni (unless
    you're maintaining a lot of awareness) are things that the 29-er will
    simply roll over with a slight 'bump'.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "You can't outrun Death forever.
    But you can make the [censored] work for it."

    --MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
    "Last of The Lancers"
    AFC 32
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

  18. mucRider said:

    * I have just about decided to go with a 29er with 125mm cranks. I
    think I am too old (and too chicken) to put up with the abuse that
    some people seem to experience with Coker crashes. *

    29er with 125s is a reasonable choice for the purposes you've described.
    However, don't be put off by the Coker's macho publicity. My worst
    injury ever was on my 26. The Coker is very easy to ride indeed. And
    I'm 42 you know. The Coker has a cruise control setting. I can ride on
    unmade ground and remove my helmet and Camelbak to remove my sweater,
    put my helmet back on, my sweater in my Camelbak, and my Camelbak on.
    That's how safe a Coker is. Remember, more sharks are eaten by people
    than people by sharks, but only the latter cases make the headlines.

    --
    Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

    Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39281

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.