UK and Europe · Public discussion

A bit too early in the morning?

Started by Tina Eager · · Last activity · 19 posts · 990 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
8 September 2003
Last activity
11 September 2003
Original author
Tina Eager
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
990
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Had a near miss with a cyclist this morning, trying to put it down to it being 7am and not everybody
    being at their brightest.

    On my way to work in the car, driving through early morning residential streets of the kind where
    there are very few people/cars moving at that time. Downtown Herne Bay - not exactly a heaving
    metropolis.

    On this particular road I was turning into there is a narrow section controlled by traffic lights
    and I was pulling up to a T junction with the lights about 10 yards to my left. The lights were on
    green my side ( you can see them from round the corner). Suddenly, as if by magic, a guy on a cycle
    comes through the narrow section (and he must have come through against the lights) at fairly high
    speed and tries to turn right into the road I was about to turn out of. He almost ended up sitting
    on the bonnet of my car! He didn't actually corner, just swerve towards the turning in an arc rather
    than at a right angle, and he crossed the dotted lines on the wrong side of the road! Lucky for him
    I was able to slam on the brakes, but it was a near miss. As good as a mile maybe but still too
    close for comfort.

    Anyway, no harm done but it made me think. What if he had ended up embedded in the front of my car?
    Injuries to him for sure (btw given the lycra I suspect it was a "him" - women don't tend to come
    in that shape, but with the helmet on I couldn't see for sure so it may have been a female).
    There's a small question of insurance, and my no claims discount and all sorts of stuff round that
    scenario. That's without the possibility of serious injury to him, hospital, blood and guts all
    over the place.

    Anyway, if it was you ... wake up please! Tomorrow I might not be quite as alert! You also owe me a
    pint to restore my shattered nerves!

    - Tina Eager

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Tina Eager
    Had a near miss with a cyclist this morning, trying to put it down to it being 7am and not everybody
    being at their brightest.

    On my way to work in the car, driving through early morning residential streets of the kind where
    there are very few people/cars moving at that time. Downtown Herne Bay - not exactly a heaving
    metropolis.

    On this particular road I was turning into there is a narrow section controlled by traffic lights
    and I was pulling up to a T junction with the lights about 10 yards to my left. The lights were on
    green my side ( you can see them from round the corner). Suddenly, as if by magic, a guy on a cycle
    comes through the narrow section (and he must have come through against the lights) at fairly high
    speed and tries to turn right into the road I was about to turn out of. He almost ended up sitting
    on the bonnet of my car! He didn't actually corner, just swerve towards the turning in an arc rather
    than at a right angle, and he crossed the dotted lines on the wrong side of the road! Lucky for him
    I was able to slam on the brakes, but it was a near miss. As good as a mile maybe but still too
    close for comfort.

    Anyway, no harm done but it made me think. What if he had ended up embedded in the front of my car?
    Injuries to him for sure (btw given the lycra I suspect it was a "him" - women don't tend to come
    in that shape, but with the helmet on I couldn't see for sure so it may have been a female).
    There's a small question of insurance, and my no claims discount and all sorts of stuff round that
    scenario. That's without the possibility of serious injury to him, hospital, blood and guts all
    over the place.

    Anyway, if it was you ... wake up please! Tomorrow I might not be quite as alert! You also owe me a
    pint to restore my shattered nerves!

    - Tina Eager

    why you worried about no claims- it would only be lost if he claimed against you, because he was an irresponsible cytclist then he probably didnt have 3rd party insurance so damage to your car would be coffed up by you, then if you could track hime down or if he didnt die youd have to persuade him or take him to court, a pita none the less

  3. "dailuggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tina Eager said:

    Had a near miss with a cyclist this morning, trying to put it down to


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    being 7am and not everybody being at their brightest. On my way to work in the car, driving
    through early morning


    residential

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    streets of the kind where there are very few people/cars moving at


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    time. Downtown Herne Bay - not exactly a heaving metropolis. On this particular road I was
    turning into there is a narrow section controlled by traffic lights and I was pulling up to a
    T junction with the lights about 10 yards to my left. The lights were on green my side


    (

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you can see them from round the corner). Suddenly, as if by magic, a


    guy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on a cycle comes through the narrow section (and he must have come through against the lights)
    at fairly high speed and tries to turn


    right

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    into the road I was about to turn out of. He almost ended up sitting


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the bonnet of my car! He didn't actually corner, just swerve towards


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    turning in an arc rather than at a right angle, and he crossed the dotted lines on the wrong
    side of the road! Lucky for him I was able


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    slam on the brakes, but it was a near miss. As good as a mile maybe


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    still too close for comfort. Anyway, no harm done but it made me think. What if he had ended
    up embedded in the front of my car? Injuries to him for sure (btw given


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lycra I suspect it was a "him" - women don't tend to come in that


    shape,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but with the helmet on I couldn't see for sure so it may have been a female). There's a small
    question of insurance, and my no claims discount and all sorts of stuff round that scenario.
    That's without


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    possibility of serious injury to him, hospital, blood and guts all


    over

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the place. Anyway, if it was you ... wake up please! Tomorrow I might not be


    quite

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as alert! You also owe me a pint to restore my shattered nerves!
    - Tina Eager

    why you worried about no claims- it would only be lost if he claimed against you, because he was
    an irresponsible cytclist then he probably didnt have 3rd party insurance so damage to your car
    would be coffed up by you, then if you could track hime down or if he didnt die youd have to
    persuade him or take him to court, a pita none the less

    This thread is very difficult to understand.

  4. Tina Eager said:

    Had a near miss with a cyclist this morning, trying to put it down to it being 7am and not
    everybody being at their brightest.

    Sounds like empty streets complacency syndrome - there's never a car there in the morning as he cuts
    the corner and one wasn't expected. Put it down to just one of those near accidents which according
    to another thread, don't happen.

    As for insurance, if it was enough to damage the car it is unlikely he could run away and almost
    everyone has third party liability insurance through one route or another which would pay out in
    those circumstances.

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  5. elyob said:

    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lycra I suspect it was a "him" - women don't tend to come in that


    shape,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but with the helmet on I couldn't see for sure so it may have been a female). There's a
    small question of insurance, and my no claims discount and all sorts of stuff round that
    scenario. That's without


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    possibility of serious injury to him, hospital, blood and guts all


    over

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the place. Anyway, if it was you ... wake up please! Tomorrow I might not be


    quite

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as alert! You also owe me a pint to restore my shattered nerves!
    - Tina Eager

    why you worried about no claims- it would only be lost if he claimed against you, because he was
    an irresponsible cytclist then he probably didnt have 3rd party insurance so damage to your car
    would be coffed up by you, then if you could track hime down or if he didnt die youd have to
    persuade him or take him to court, a pita none the less

    This thread is very difficult to understand.

    Well as I see it , we have a car driver that was pulling out of a side road that is complaining that
    a cyclist turned across them.But I may be wrong.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    jaceeprint.demon.co.ukjaceeprint.demon.co.uk

  6. Tina Eager said:

    Had a near miss with a cyclist this morning, trying to put it down to it being 7am and not
    everybody being at their brightest.

    On my way to work in the car, driving through early morning residential streets of the kind where
    there are very few people/cars moving at that time. Downtown Herne Bay - not exactly a heaving
    metropolis.

    On this particular road I was turning into there is a narrow section controlled by traffic lights
    and I was pulling up to a T junction with the lights about 10 yards to my left. The lights were on
    green my side ( you can see them from round the corner). Suddenly, as if by magic, a guy on a
    cycle comes through the narrow section (and he must have come through against the lights) at
    fairly high speed and tries to turn right into the road I was about to turn out of. He almost
    ended up sitting on the bonnet of my car! He didn't actually corner, just swerve towards the
    turning in an arc rather than at a right angle, and he crossed the dotted lines on the wrong side
    of the road! Lucky for him I was able to slam on the brakes, but it was a near miss. As good as a
    mile maybe but still too close for comfort.

    Anyway, no harm done but it made me think. What if he had ended up embedded in the front of my
    car? Injuries to him for sure (btw given the lycra I suspect it was a "him" - women don't tend to
    come in that shape, but with the helmet on I couldn't see for sure so it may have been a female).
    There's a small question of insurance, and my no claims discount and all sorts of stuff round that
    scenario. That's without the possibility of serious injury to him, hospital, blood and guts all
    over the place.

    Anyway, if it was you ... wake up please! Tomorrow I might not be quite as alert! You also owe me
    a pint to restore my shattered nerves!

    Although I don't condone cyclists who ignore red lights, from your description it sounds like you
    were also partly at fault. Whether or not you ought to turn into a road depends on whether the road
    is clear, not on whether it ought to be.

    Perhaps slowing down a bit more at that turning might help?

    --
    Daniel Auger - [email hidden] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

  7. "Daniel Auger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Although I don't condone cyclists who ignore red lights, from your description it sounds like you
    were also partly at fault.

    Let's not be too harsh. The tone is much less combative than others we've seen on a similar topic,
    and I like the line about owing the OP a pint ;-)

    Truth is, all road users have brown trouser moments every now and then. The problem for cyclists, of
    course, is that our bodywork is a bit more fragile. Which does suggest that maybe we are more
    careful than people give us credit for, since the injury rate is certainly not orders of magnitude
    higher than for car drivers, surrounded by safety cages, airbags and seat belts.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.comchapmancentral.com

  8. Just zis Guy said:
    Quoted message said:

    Although I don't condone cyclists who ignore red lights, from your description it sounds like
    you were also partly at fault.

    Let's not be too harsh. The tone is much less combative than others we've seen on a similar topic,
    and I like the line about owing the OP a pint ;-)

    Truth is, all road users have brown trouser moments every now and then.

    I think the universal lawis "Anyone that suprises us scares us , so it must be them that was in the
    wrong" , this applies whether you are walking, cycling or motoring.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    jaceeprint.demon.co.ukjaceeprint.demon.co.uk

  9. "marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think the universal lawis "Anyone that suprises us scares us , so it must be them that was in
    the wrong" , this applies whether you are walking, cycling or motoring.

    How true those words are even today.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.comchapmancentral.com

  10. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Daniel Auger
    On 8 Sep 2003, Tina Eager wrote:


    Although I don't condone cyclists who ignore red lights, from your description it sounds like you
    were also partly at fault. Whether or not you ought to turn into a road depends on whether the road
    is clear, not on whether it ought to be.

    Perhaps slowing down a bit more at that turning might help?

    --
    Daniel Auger - [email hidden] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

    But the OP had not yet made the turn, she was about to turn left out of a side road at T junction. She jammed on the brakes to avoid the collision. How can she be at fault at all ? From my reading the cyclist cut the corner, the OP stated that the rider was on the wrong side of the dotted line, that is, the drivers side. The driver can not be at fault if she stopped in her lane and the cyclist was on the wrong side of the road. The driver took evasive action which is the correct thing to do, what more could she do ?

    The tone of the posting is not mean't to castigate all cyclists IMHO, just a wake up call to us. No need to be apportioning blame, as the OP said no harm was done.

  11. Oops I snipped the wrong part of the reply ! Sorry, I hope you get the gist

  12. "marc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    elyob <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    why you worried about no claims- it would only be lost if he claimed against you, because he
    was an irresponsible cytclist then he probably didnt have 3rd party insurance so damage to
    your car would be coffed


    up

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    by you, then if you could track hime down or if he didnt die youd have to persuade him or take
    him to court, a pita none the less

    This thread is very difficult to understand.

    Well as I see it , we have a car driver that was pulling out of a side road that is complaining
    that a cyclist turned across them.But I may be wrong.

    I think it was the worlds longest sentence mixed with a dashing of bad spelling that flummoxed me.

  13. I had a near miss which I'll share to show you shouldn't take anything on trust:

    Bus, stuck in traffic, about 1.5m from kerb with a (useless, but that's another story) cycle lane
    between. It's been there, about 50m short of the bus stop, for at least one traffic light cycle.

    I go past on the inside (yes, I know, but there was no easy way to the offside from where
    I started).

    Halfway past, someone pops out of the centre doors, right in front of
    me. I hadn't even seen they were open.

    But I stopped dead and she never knew I was there until I spoke to her. So, like the OP, I'm glad it
    was me and not someone less awake/alert.

    Colin McKenzie

  14. Quoted message said:

    I had a near miss which I'll share to show you shouldn't take anything on trust:

    Bus, stuck in traffic, about 1.5m from kerb with a (useless, but that's another story) cycle lane
    between. It's been there, about 50m short of the bus stop, for at least one traffic light cycle.


    <etc.>

    Bus drivers are expressly forbidden (in London at least) from opening their doors at anywhere
    other than bus stops for this very reason. If this had turned into a nasty incident (and I'm very
    glad you had your wits about you) both you and the bus passenger may have had a claim against the
    bus company.

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

  15. MSeries said:

    But the OP had not yet made the turn, she was about to turn left out of a side road at T
    junction. She jammed on the brakes to avoid the collision. How can she be at fault at all ?

    Well, at the very least she's driving without proper observation, since depsite all the assurances
    motorists come up with, cyclists don't appear out of nowhere.

    Quoted message said:

    From my reading the cyclist cut the corner, the OP stated that the rider was on the wrong side of
    the dotted line, that is, the drivers side.

    I don't think you can tell much at all from teh description, actually, because teh description is
    too vague. For example, she says the cyclist didn't actually corner, but then she says he did make
    the turn. Also, teh story doesn't quite hang together in that she describes observing the cyclist
    come through the pinch-point, which is 10m away, but had to slam on teh brakes to avoid said
    cyclist, who didn't make a sudden manouver. I'm not sure slamming on of brakes is compatible with
    observing a cyclist make a progressive manouver from that distance.

    Quoted message said:

    The driver took evasive action which is the correct thing to do, what more could she do ?

    Take teh action earlier and thus avoid slamming of brakes?

    Also, how credible is it that a a cyclist would ride straight into the front of a car that's been in
    plain view for some time, without taking any evasive action? What seems a good deal more credible is
    that a motorist didn't observe properly, assumed a road was clear based on circumstantial evidence,
    was surprised when a cyclist 'appeared' in front of them, slammed the brakes on without cause, and
    then wanted to let off steam about it. Then again, as I said, the account was so disjointed that
    just about anything could have been what actually happened..

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  16. marc said:


    I think the universal lawis "Anyone that suprises us scares us , so it must be them that was in
    the wrong" , this applies whether you are walking, cycling or motoring.

    I must be getting tired I read that last line as - walking, cycling or moroning.

    --
    Mark

  17. On 8 Sep 2003 21:42:44 GMT someone who may be [email hidden] (Tina Eager) wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    On this particular road I was turning into there is a narrow section controlled by traffic lights
    and I was pulling up to a T junction with the lights about 10 yards to my left. The lights were on
    green my side ( you can see them from round the corner). Suddenly, as if by magic, a guy on a cycle
    comes through the narrow section (and he must have come through against the lights)

    Or perhaps the person who programmed the lights assumed that all vehicles travel at car speeds. In
    which case the cyclist could have passed "his" traffic light when it was green, but by the time "he"
    got to your end the light for the other direction was green. This is far more common than some
    people think, though may not apply in this case.

    Quoted message said:

    at fairly high speed and tries to turn right into the road I was about to turn out of. He almost
    ended up sitting on the bonnet of my car! He didn't actually corner, just swerve towards the
    turning in an arc rather than at a right angle, and he crossed the dotted lines on the wrong side
    of the road!

    Foolish of him.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  18. Daniel Auger said:
    Quoted message said:

    On this particular road I was turning into there is a narrow section controlled by traffic
    lights and I was pulling up to a T junction with the lights about 10 yards to my left. The
    lights were on green my side ( you can see them from round the corner). Suddenly, as if by
    magic, a guy on a cycle comes through the narrow section (and he must have come through against
    the lights) at fairly high speed and tries to turn right into the road I was about to turn out
    of. He almost ended up sitting on the bonnet of my car! He didn't actually corner, just swerve
    towards the turning in an arc rather than at a right angle, and he crossed the dotted lines on
    the wrong side of the road! Lucky for him I was able to slam on the brakes, but it was a near
    miss. As good as a mile maybe but still too close for comfort.

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Although I don't condone cyclists who ignore red lights, from your description it sounds like you
    were also partly at fault. Whether or not you ought to turn into a road depends on whether the
    road is clear, not on whether it ought to be.

    Perhaps slowing down a bit more at that turning might help?

    Well it was just as well I was slowing down. It's what I do before I reach a turning from which I
    intend to turn out. I was pulling *up* to the junction with the intention of pulling out. Had I been
    pulling out there's no way that cyclist would have crossed the dotted lines at the junction without
    being airborne.

    --
    Tina Eager

  19. Quoted message said:

    Anyway, no harm done but it made me think. What if he had ended up embedded in the front of my
    car? Injuries to him for sure (btw given


    the

    Quoted message said:

    lycra I suspect it was a "him" - women don't tend to come in that


    shape,

    Quoted message said:

    but with the helmet on I couldn't see for sure so it may have been a female). There's a small
    question of insurance, and my no claims discount and all sorts of stuff round that scenario.
    That's without


    the

    Quoted message said:

    possibility of serious injury to him, hospital, blood and guts all


    over

    Quoted message said:

    the place.

    and what about your nerves OMG I've hit a fellow cyclist
    - even if he is a prat

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.