maxo said:The fact that your utility bike has drops is a telling tale. 😉
I suppose so.
Quoted message said:Nothing wrong with that, just means you might actually take care of
your bike. Clean the rims, make sure the pads are of good quality and
not worn, that they're adjusted properly, etc.
Most folks that want a utility bike want close to zero
maintanence--thus hub or roller brakes are great.
I do as little maintanence on my utility bike as possible. The only
cleaning it gets is a wipe off after riding in the rain, so as not to
bring muck into the house. Thanks to kool-stop pads, I don't check for
pad wear often, nor play with brake adjustment.
Quoted message said:When you're tootlin around at 12 mph in the city you don't need
god-like braking, you need reliable braking. Most folks are scared to
brake hard anyway.
Personally I like cantis front and roller back for a winter commuter,
as I'm fond of the Nexus 7. Best of both worlds. 😉
BTW, how are your rim brakes in the wet or snow. 😉
My front canti with kool-stops is better in the wet than the rear nexus
roller brake with drop bar brake levers when dry 🙂
I also love my Nexus 7, but I didn't love its brake. Oddly enough, I
found a NOS Shimano long reach (I needed ~70mm) dual pivot caliper for
the rear of my bike, and it was labelled "Nexus". Works well enough,
but isn't as nice as a cantilever, IMHO. Without the roller brake, it
is also a bit easier to change a flat, assuming you can't do the fix
the flat without removing the wheel trick.
I would like to like a drum or roller brake, but it seems Shimano
doesn't want me to. Is it too much to ask for a drop bar brake lever
compatable drum brake or a front drum brake without a "Power
Modulator"? Of course, there are other drum brakes out there (SRAM,
Sturmey-Archer), but they aren't real cheap, nor can I mount one on my
Nexus 7 rear hub, so I will stick with the rim brakes I already have
for now. Shimano should make their gear hubs disk brake compatable -
then you could use whatever disk brake you wanted.
Of course, while wishing for future Shimano products, how about making
a "rapid fire" shifter for the 8 speed Nexus, like they do for the 7.
The one for the 7 is my all time favorite shifter. It can be mounted
on drop bars, and to shift, all you have to do is sweep some part of
your hand across it - one way for up, the other for down. Its the best
thing I ever ordered from Harris Cyclery.
Later,
Mark Muller