4 miles/central park, 78F w/58% humidity. I ran a 25:11, 6:17
min/mile, 5 and 6 seconds slower per mile than I did the same course on
in May & June.
This is my first backwards step in the last 6-7 races over the past 3+
months when I switched to 2-a-day training. What happend? Donovan can
probably tell me exactly better than anyone since he knows me and my
style and the course.
[censored]. This is one of those races wherein after I cross the finish mat
all I thought was, "well that sucked" LOL. Gorgeous day, just
beautiful....and though I did not totally tank it, it still suicks to
have a decline in performance.
Since my PR 4 weeks ago of a 6:09/mile in a 5 miler, I've been clocking
5 miles in the morning and 5 miles at night, no days rest...up through
last Wed. night when I ran a night race, a 5 miler at a 6:28 pace in
88F and 49% humidity. And that very morning before this race I ran a 5
miler at about 85%. I ran harder Wed. night than I wanted to as I did
not want it to impact this race 3 days later.
For the first time in over 4 weeks...I took a day off, not just one,
but two. I took off Thur & Fri completely. Saturday morning I was
hoping to feel fresh and brand new. I did not think my running economy
- efficiency would suffer at all. I stretched this morning and felt
great. My warm up? 1/4 mile at 50%, 1/4 mile at 90%.
Race starts and I clock mile one at 6:05. WTF? In my last 5 races
I've hit that at 6:00 with no ill effects and have brought home PR
performances. I was expecting to hit the 1 mile at 5:50 today. Did
not happen. Did 12:02 at Mile 2...and then damn, at mile 3 I was at
18:40 or so.
I was a bit stunned as when I raced Wednesay night in that 5 miler...I
hit the 4 mile mark at 24:09. I completely thought today I was going
to be flirting with 24:00. No where close.
When I finished the race this morning....oh my god...my muscles binded
and wound themeselves and tightend up in a way I had not felt in
years...since I was a kid and after the first day of Football practice.
OK, How did I screw up things?
Should I not have raced hard Wed. night?
And the 2 days Off before the race?
Overtrained?
Help! This was not supposed to happen to me today....I guess the
Running Gods Felt Otherwise....
tia