General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

2nd degree sprained ankle...what do I need to know about this?

Started by dihldo · · Last activity · 4 posts · 381 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 June 2005
Last activity
8 June 2005
Original author
dihldo
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
381
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A week ago I sprained my ankle trail running...the real deal...heard a
    pop and everything....now I am in a hard cast for 3-4 weeks..no walking
    on it...I am in a ton of pain now...but I need to know what to expect
    in the future...I a 39 year old male....and until last Sunday...I was a
    sub 18 5k-er....now what? Any one else have some history with this
    kind of injury? Rehab advice etc...I am a planner..and I need to have
    a plan of action so I dont get too depressed about this....HELP!

  2. "dihldo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A week ago I sprained my ankle trail running...the real deal...heard a
    pop and everything....now I am in a hard cast for 3-4 weeks..no walking
    on it...I am in a ton of pain now...but I need to know what to expect
    in the future...I a 39 year old male....and until last Sunday...I was a
    sub 18 5k-er....now what? Any one else have some history with this
    kind of injury? Rehab advice etc...I am a planner..and I need to have
    a plan of action so I dont get too depressed about this....HELP!

    Plan to rest it until there is no pain. Plan to gradually get back into
    running (it will happen, sooner or later) and back off if there is pain.
    Plan to not have control of the issue, and not be able to make or stick to a
    firm plan. Plan to rest and recover from this properly or risk the
    sturdiness and flexibility of your ankle forever... In other words, during
    your recovery don't push in a way that causes pain, swelling, etc unless
    your doctor is in approval and oversight of it.

    In the meantime, you can do stretching , weight training, flexibility
    training, and deep-water pool running. You'll still feel like a load of
    bricks the first time out, but your body will turn around much quicker.

    Dave

  3. see a physio, but if you were to DIY, which I do not recommend, then:-

    - rotate ankle to get full motion back
    - stretch calf/achilles
    - get one of those circular boards, 1ft diameter with tennis ball
    underneath at centre
    (this is THE best tool)
    - calf raises
    - self massage of tendon area ( not sure of this one but my physio
    did this, can be very painfull but in a very satisfying way)

  4. Forgot

    RICE for an appropriate period first. (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate)

    Get one of those Ice pack thingies from the pharmacy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.