rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Yuni Journeyman vs. Semcycle XL Standard

Started by ATRannals · · Last activity · 9 posts · 486 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
7 July 2005
Last activity
8 July 2005
Original author
ATRannals
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
486
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking about getting back into unicycling after about a 20 yr.
    layoff.

    Browsing the unicycle.com website, I think I've narrowed it down to the
    Yuni Journeyman or the Semcycle XL Standard. I'm looking at the 24"
    models, as I think this provides a good balance of maneuverability and
    speed.

    The two models seem very identical and the price difference is only $9.
    Is there any reason to pick one over the other, or should I just flip a
    coin??

    Last question: Any recommendations on crank length? Seems my choices
    are 5" or 6". What are the pros and cons of each?

    Thanks for helping a returning enthusiast,

    Alan

    --
    ATRannals
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ATRannals's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10332
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  2. I thought about this after the 10 minute edit option had expired.

    I'm 5'11" and currently weigh about 225, but I'm looking to unicycling
    to get that under 200! :-)

    My inseam is about 30-31"

    Hope this helps with the crank length question.

    Alan

    --
    ATRannals
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ATRannals's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10332
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  3. Sometime in the past 20 years - or more accurately, sometime in the past
    20 months something really important has happened in the world of
    unicycle design which these two unicycles surprisingly do not reflect.

    And that great thing is, comfortable saddles hath been birthed. You'll
    do your self a big favor if you stay away from the viscount saddle. The
    Kris Holm saddles or any variation of the KH, or an air saddle mod of
    the Miyata are so much better.

    That's the only thing I would say is bad about these two unicycles.

    --
    nbrazzi - _______________

    Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

    -Carl Sagan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  4. Hello ATRannals...and welcome back to unicycling.

    A things many of us would probably like to know is:

    What type of riding do you intend to be doing - street, MUni, light
    trails?

    Will this uni be for everyday usage, or just now and then?

    --
    roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

    ...Are the voices in my head bothering you?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  5. wont let me delete

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unitik908's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8690
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  6. As for Crank length... The 5" will get you places faster but you will
    lose some control... and the 6" youll have more control but you wont go
    as fast.. But since youve been away for So Long i would recomend the
    longer ones.. and then later once you feel more confortable get shorter
    ones..

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unitik908's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8690
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  7. For pavement get the 5". For offroad consider 6" or 140's (5.5"😉, which
    is what I used to use for MUni on my old 24" Miyata. 6" is pretty long
    for a (regular) 24" wheel, for anything other than steep or extreme
    terrain.

    --
    johnfoss - More Moab Fun

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  8. Don't get any of those. They both have [censored] seats!!! Get an KH style
    seat. Or an air seat.

    --
    halfbike - Obsessed Rider

    Your mom goes to college...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

  9. Well, I ended up going with neither of my first choices. 🙄

    After reading the responses and talking with UDC, I ended up going with
    a Nimbus 24" Freestyle X. It was the same price, but came with a
    heavier double wall rim, 48 spokes instead of 36 and the recommended
    Kris Holm saddle.

    It should be here sometime next week, so let the fun begin again. 🙂

    Thanks for all the advice!

    Alan

    --
    ATRannals
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ATRannals's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10332
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41724

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.