This traill is under assault by the eco-freaks, the Boxer Bill, and the CWC and sundry other fruitcakes.
Shortly after this ride the re-routing began.
More info at www.tamabaonline.org (Meiss Meadows/Christmas Valley)
I didn't have much luck with that link, but... isn't that one of the areas that the Silly er I mean Sierra Club was working on limiting bike access too?
Quoted message said:
www.paradigmhosting.net/video/xmas.mpg
(a small plane crashed last year and started a fire, creating the burn zone)
This traill is under assault by the eco-freaks, the Boxer Bill, and the CWC and sundry other fruitcakes.
Shortly after this ride the re-routing began.
More info at www.tamabaonline.org (Meiss Meadows/Christmas Valley)
I didn't have much luck with that link, but... isn't that one of the areas that the Silly er I mean Sierra Club was working on limiting bike access too?
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:28:29 -0700, P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email hidden]> blathered:
Quoted message said:
This traill is under assault by the eco-freaks, the Boxer Bill, and the CWC and sundry other fruitcakes. www.paradigmhosting.net/video/xmas.mpg
File's too big for me.
I couldn't ride this yesterday either: btinternet.com4x4Open ↗ Perhaps sometimes the 'eco-freaks' have got it right.
NOTE: 'green laning' is offroad driving, 4x4/SUVs and motorbikes. They justify their 'sport' by pointing out that the tracks they use are officially classified as roads. This is an anomaly that needs addressing; these historic, ancient tracks (in a National Park remember) are being torn apart.
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:28:29 -0700, P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email hidden]> blathered:
Quoted message said:
This traill is under assault by the eco-freaks, the Boxer Bill, and the CWC and sundry other fruitcakes. www.paradigmhosting.net/video/xmas.mpg
File's too big for me.
I couldn't ride this yesterday either: btinternet.com4x4Open ↗ Perhaps sometimes the 'eco-freaks' have got it right.
NOTE: 'green laning' is offroad driving, 4x4/SUVs and motorbikes. They justify their 'sport' by pointing out that the tracks they use are officially classified as roads. This is an anomaly that needs addressing; these historic, ancient tracks (in a National Park remember) are being torn apart.
I "rode" that lane a few weeks ago when things were a little drier. Even then it was very hard work, and took much longer than I was expecting from the map.
Not only was the road completely trashed but in someplaces the road was so bad that the 4x4s had knocked over the wall. I agree these ancient tracks need to have some more restrictions. It's the same "down south", the Ridgeway being a good example.
I "rode" that lane a few weeks ago when things were a little drier. Even then it was very hard work, and took much longer than I was expecting from the map. Not only was the road completely trashed but in someplaces the road was so bad that the 4x4s had knocked over the wall.
You have to be careful with planning routes in the Dales because too many of these critical linking sections have been trashed by green laners. If you're following a route out of an old Jeremy Ashcroft guide book you're going to have problems.
Having ridden that lane before in the mid-late 1990s, getting buzzed by a convoy of eight motorcyclists while I was at it, I was under no illusions about what state it would be in. I was actually clocking up a bunch of road miles on Wednesday and did that section of track with one motive in mind: taking the pictures.
I couldn't ride this yesterday either: btinternet.com4x4Open ↗ Perhaps sometimes the 'eco-freaks' have got it right.
Its the same on the east of the Hawes road too. The Cam Fell High Road contours the hill side on a road 'engineered' by the Romans 19 centuries ago. The stone slabs laid on a level base with runoffs for rainwater were still intact intact 15 years ago.
First the surface got mashed and the peat underneath was exposed, that became two 3 ft deep grooves full of muddy water. But as theres no walls either side, when the 4x4's got stuck they phoned for the Scammell recovery vehicle to rip it out on the downhill side, you can imagine the affect that had. Its now just an open spoil on the hillside. 19 centuries of use destroyed in the last 10 years of the last century. Mike