UK and Europe · Public discussion

Would like advice on preventing QR wheel theft

Started by David Lowther · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,075 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 December 2007
Last activity
1 January 2008
Original author
David Lowther
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,075
Views / 30 days
35

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that the
    wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    I was thinking of replacing the normal skewers with Tranz X Secure Lock Anti
    Theft skewers which are £12.99 from SJS.

    Does anyone have any advice on whether the above is going to help (can't be
    too hard for a thief to carry an allen key) ?

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.

    TIA

    Dave.

  2. "David Lowther" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that the
    wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    I was thinking of replacing the normal skewers with Tranz X Secure Lock
    Anti Theft skewers which are £12.99 from SJS.

    Does anyone have any advice on whether the above is going to help (can't
    be too hard for a thief to carry an allen key) ?

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.


    Remove the front wheel and use a cable lock through the front and rear
    wheels plus fram when locking the bike to an immovable object. It's
    surprising how many bikes I've seen at Leeds University locked to themselves
    and nothing else......

    You could always spray paint the bike in fluorescent colours to make it less
    appealing to thieves and more recognisable if it gets stolen.

  3. On 30 Dec, 02:13, "David Lowther" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.

    Crime patterns will vary from area to area so if you specify where
    your son will be then someone may have specific advice.

    In Glasgow bike thefts are more often all or nothing. Usually from
    bikes parked in closes (common staircases) where the thief can
    overcome the lock or chain securing the bike without being seen.

    I would suggest that your son leaves a substantial heavy lock, maybe a
    motorbike chain and padlock, permently at the place he normally parks
    his bike at Univ and has a lighter lock to carry with the bike for
    short term/low risk parking. When parking at Univ use the bike lock
    to secure the frame and the smaller lock to secure the front wheel. It
    might be better to have a D lock as the portable lock. This way at
    univ the bike is secured with two different types of lock which may
    need different methods to overcome.

    Unless the bike is flashy thieves will hopefully go fo an easier
    target as most parked bkes atre not secred with locks of any great
    strength.

    Worth lookingf at replacing and quick release saddle skewer with a
    normal allen key or security type as well.

    Iain

  4. vernon said:

    "David Lowther" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.


    Remove the front wheel and use a cable lock through the front and rear
    wheels plus fram when locking the bike to an immovable object. It's
    surprising how many bikes I've seen at Leeds University locked to themselves
    and nothing else......

    Or use two locks - one through the back wheel and frame, one through the
    front wheel and frame. Ideally both also going round an immovable object
    (easy if you are parked at a proper Sheffield stand). This also has the
    advantage of making your bike less attractive to pinch as the thief has
    to defeat two locks, and can't attempt the trick of using the bike
    itself as a lever to break the lock. Also, using a cable (around the
    front wheel/frame) and a U-lock (around the rear) - especially if one
    has a flat key and one a cylindrical key - means the thief has to carry
    more tools to defeat them. Make sure the bike also looks worthless, and
    there will be much shinier, easier and more attractive bikes to steal.

  5. "iarocu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    On 30 Dec, 02:13, "David Lowther" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.

    Quoted message said:

    Crime patterns will vary from area to area so if you specify where
    your son will be <snip>

    Leicester.

  6. David Lowther said:

    I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that the
    wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    Honestly, I don't think it is a problem. In my experience, I've had three
    locked bikes stolen (and one bike stolen from a locked shed). But I've
    never had a wheel stolen from a locked bike. I think they all had QRs.

    When I lock a bike I usually take the front wheel out and put it beside the
    back wheel, and then pass the lock through both wheels, around the
    seatpost, and around something solid anchored to the ground. This deters
    casual thieves. A determined thief equipped with cutting equipment will cut
    the lock anyway.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

  7. David Lowther said:

    I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that
    the wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    I was thinking of replacing the normal skewers with Tranz X Secure
    Lock Anti Theft skewers which are £12.99 from SJS.

    Does anyone have any advice on whether the above is going to help
    (can't be too hard for a thief to carry an allen key) ?

    A regular theief would carry a tool kit, but the opportunist won't
    necessarily have any tools at all.

    Tranz X also make a model that takes a more unusual pentagon key:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200185944559

    Misspelt as "Trans-X". Suit modern MTB and road bikes (with 135 and 130mm
    rear hubs). They're sometimes a couple of quid cheaper from another ebay
    seller, but he has none listed at the moment.

    I've been using these for a few years in high crime areas and not had a
    wheel nicked and don't feel I will get a wheel nicked. BTW, they clamp as
    well as ordinary QR skewers, while weighing less. Take care though not to
    overtighten and strip the thread.

    There are yet more secure skewers, eg. Pitlock - but you will have more
    hassle if you loose a key, as well as more expense in the first place.

    Quoted message said:

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best
    way to prevent theft.

    The front wheel will fit many different mountain bikes, so is quite
    desirable to thieves. £12 on the product I mentioned buys some peace of
    mind, and is much more convenient to use than an extra lock or removing the
    wheel.

    ~PB

  8. On 30/12/2007 10:56, David Lowther said,

    Quoted message said:

    Leicester.

    Oh [censored]!!! Unless Leicester has changed for the better since I was
    there 20+ years ago, it might be best to treat a bike as disposable :-(
    Seriously, a cheap bike with a cable lock is probably the best bet,
    with bolt-on wheels rather then QR. When it does get nicked it won't be
    too much of a loss, but you will be stopping opportunist theft.

    Is this Leicester Uni, or what was Leicester Poly - now De Montfort
    University? Just curious - I was at the Poly!!!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  9. Simon Brooke said:

    When I lock a bike I usually take the front wheel out and put it beside the
    back wheel, and then pass the lock through both wheels, around the
    seatpost, and around something solid anchored to the ground.

    ITYM seat tube - the tube that forms the common side of both the front
    and rear triangles - rather than the post that connects the saddle to
    the frame.

    --
    Dave...

  10. On Dec 30, 10:13 am, "David Lowther" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that the
    wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    I was thinking of replacing the normal skewers with Tranz X Secure Lock Anti
    Theft skewers which are £12.99 from SJS.

    Does anyone have any advice on whether the above is going to help (can't be
    too hard for a thief to carry an allen key) ?

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.

    From experience if the wheel and frame is well locked and there isn't
    an easier target around they'll just take whatever they can from the
    bike (e.g. the QR skewers). Staff at Loughborough train station said
    they frequently saw people walking away from the station with
    handlebars, saddles, pedals etc. An older road bike might be a bit
    less attractive than a full suspension mountain bike.

    There's some good rides around Leicestershire once you get out of
    Leicester itself!

    peter

  11. dkahn400 said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    When I lock a bike I usually take the front wheel out and put it beside
    the back wheel, and then pass the lock through both wheels, around the
    seatpost, and around something solid anchored to the ground.

    ITYM seat tube - the tube that forms the common side of both the front
    and rear triangles - rather than the post that connects the saddle to
    the frame.

    Yup. Typo.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
    but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
    And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
    th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, David Lowther
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that the
    wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    I was thinking of replacing the normal skewers with Tranz X Secure Lock Anti
    Theft skewers which are £12.99 from SJS.

    Does anyone have any advice on whether the above is going to help (can't be
    too hard for a thief to carry an allen key) ?

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.


    I use a 6ft cable lock that goes through both wheels and the frame and
    around something immoveable, although on my ATB I tend to put it through
    the saddle rail rather than the front wheel - the saddle and suspension
    seatpost are a lot easier to nick than the "quick release" front wheel,
    which requires overcoming the lawyer lips and tyre/brake interference.
    I doubt that a serious thief would be interested in a cheap ATB, and an
    opportunist generally isn't going to bother with anything that can't be
    ridden away. More of a problem these days, it seems, is leaving a bike
    somewhere that it's going to have its wheels kicked in.

  13. naked_draughtsman said:

    From experience if the wheel and frame is well locked and there isn't
    an easier target around they'll just take whatever they can from the
    bike (e.g. the QR skewers). Staff at Loughborough train station said
    they frequently saw people walking away from the station with
    handlebars, saddles, pedals etc. An older road bike might be a bit
    less attractive than a full suspension mountain bike.

    I once saw a frame, rims and tyres locked to a bike rack. Not only had
    the components been stripped from the frame but the spokes had all been
    cut to get the hubs.

  14. iarocu said:

    On 30 Dec, 02:13, "David Lowther" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.

    Crime patterns will vary from area to area so if you specify where
    your son will be then someone may have specific advice.


    indeed while surbiton station has it's problems mainly from one bloke as
    best i can tell.

    one of the pub's in kingston has a old mounatin bike attached for ooh at
    least a year now. still locked up and with all it's parts. though the
    rear tire is flat now.

    snips

    Quoted message said:


    Iain

    roger
    --
    www.rogermerriman.com

  15. David Lowther said:

    I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that the
    wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    I was thinking of replacing the normal skewers with Tranz X Secure Lock Anti
    Theft skewers which are £12.99 from SJS.

    Does anyone have any advice on whether the above is going to help (can't be
    too hard for a thief to carry an allen key) ?

    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.

    The ones that take a (supplied) pentagonal allen key are OK for
    low-crime areas. However, the keys aren't hard to get hold of - just
    buy another set - and the knurled nut on the other dropout can be undone
    with molegrips.

    For a cheap MTB I'd wrap a cable lock round the frame and wheels, using
    a D-lock to secure the frame to a fixed object. Spray the frame a
    horrid colour like fluo pink, and sand the names off any quality
    components, for extra deterrence. It will still go just as well.

  16. anth said:

    I once saw a frame, rims and tyres locked to a bike rack. Not only had
    the components been stripped from the frame but the spokes had all been
    cut to get the hubs.


    The last time I did that (on my own old wheel, I hasten to add) I
    impaled a finger on one of the cut-off spokes. Right in one side and
    out of the other, fortunately missing bones and tendons and not
    requiring any treatment.

  17. Simon Brooke said:
    David Lowther said:

    My son is taking a cheap 2nd hand bike to uni and is concerned that the
    wheels will get stolen if they have QR skewers.

    Honestly, I don't think it is a problem. In my experience, I've had three
    locked bikes stolen (and one bike stolen from a locked shed). But I've
    never had a wheel stolen from a locked bike. I think they all had QRs.


    Had a front wheel pinched from a mountain bike that I had used to tow a
    trailer to the supermarket. Right pain to get home and remarkably
    expensive to replace wheel, tyre etc. ( I then replaced all the QR
    skewers and have a frozen seatpin due to never moving it. Drat !!)

    --
    CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

  18. "David Lowther" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I live in a low crime rural area so don't have any experience of thief
    proofing bikes, other than a token cable lock I use on my own bike.

    <snip>

    Many thanks to all the people that replied with advice.

    Dave.

  19. "David Lowther" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    More generally any advice on whether wheel theft from a £40 2nd hand
    mountain bike is likely to be a problem, and if so what's the best way to
    prevent theft.

    Thieves don't seem very discerning.
    My son has lost 2 bikes at uni. The first was his fault because he didn't
    lock it. But it was in the garden of the terraced house he lives in. This
    bike was built from a plain steel frame I found in a hedge fitted with
    reasonable 7sp kit from a old, smaller bike of his.

    The next was a Sterling House 50 quid wonder, taken from inside the house.
    This one didn't even have its chain fitted at the time. During the burglary
    the thieves also only took the obviously inferior of two printers and missed
    a Sky box in plain view.

    Since the house only has plastic drainpipes I made a flower pot filled with
    concrete and a U bolt for the 2nd bike. Hopefully noise and the distraction
    of having to
    remove the flower pot or carry the bike with a dead weight attached will
    put thieves off. Well... it worked in the period the bike was left locked
    outdoors.

  20. DavidR said:

    The next was a Sterling House 50 quid wonder, taken from inside the house.
    This one didn't even have its chain fitted at the time. During the burglary
    the thieves also only took the obviously inferior of two printers and missed
    a Sky box in plain view.

    Often thieves will only spend a minute or two inside the house they are
    burgling, just grabbing the first things they see, or looking in obvious
    places. They don't want to spend the time assessing which is the best
    thing to steal.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.