rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

wobbling at higher speeds and lube

Started by phlegm · · Last activity · 3 posts · 299 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
11 November 2004
Last activity
12 November 2004
Original author
phlegm
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
299
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm finally starting to stick my free mounts pretty regularly and my
    turns are becoming smoother, but I find that I tend to twist back and
    forth with each pedal stroke. And it's most noticeable when I try to go
    faster. Does anyone have any advice for riding a straight line? Do I
    need to shift my body weight left to right to correspond with my pedal
    stroke? I think part of it might be that the ground has been wet from
    rain, so the slightest motions are accentuated.

    Also, should I regularly lube the bearings on my uni (a brand new Torker
    LX) - maybe with a light bike chain lube, or are they supposed to be
    left alone until they wear out?

    --
    phlegm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36264

  2. If you are a new rider, it's likely that you are fighting one leg with
    the other. This can cause unwanted motion as well as making you tired
    very quickly. A couple things to work on are putting more weight on
    your saddle and pedaling in nice smooth circles.

    Unicycles naturally wobble, so it isn't something to worry about a whole
    lot. If you look at prints made by most riders, you'll see that they
    snake as much as seven or eight inches to each side with each pedal
    stroke.

    As four the bearings, I wouldn't worry about them too much. I never
    bother with touching mine. And they are cheap to replace if they wear
    out. Of course, others may tell you otherwise.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36264

  3. It could be a simple situation of where you're looking. One thing
    that's key for riding straight (when you're staring at least) is to look
    straight out ahead of you.

    Another problem could be that you're not sitting down on the seat
    enough.

    Third, some degree of wobble is bound to happen, it's just the nature of
    the sport. It'll get less noticeable as you get better, but it'll
    always be there at least a little.

    --
    Max_Dingemans - Another lone rider

    "But what if eventually everyone goes gay? And then there will be no
    babies, and no strait people to keep the race going." - Gir proves how
    horrible our educational system really is.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36264

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.