UK and Europe · Public discussion

Wiggle vs punter, you decide!

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,333 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 March 2005
Last activity
1 April 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,333
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want you to help me in deciding what to do about my little problem

    Ok, these are the facts:
    On 31 August 2004 I purchased a pair of Briko bib tights
    from Wiggle. On 17 March 2005 I found
    thay had gone into holes on the inside of the thighs.

    I wasn't impressed considering the Tchibo bib tights I had
    before lasted three times as long.

    I emailed Wiggle and they requested I return the tights
    for inspection.

    This is their response:
    Hi

    Thanks for the return of the tights, we have received them today. The
    representative from Jim Walker was actually here today and has
    inspected
    the tights and has said that they would not be able to warranty them.
    He has said that this kind of problem is caused by rubbing. Please let
    me know your thoughts.

    Thanks Simon
    Wiggle Returns Dept.

    So the question is this: Should I assert my consumer 'rights'
    or forget it and move on? Reply and vote, (begin Hughie Greene voice)
    Remember folk, its your votes that count (end Hughie Greene voice)

    Thanks.

  2. Quoted message said:

    On 31 August 2004 I purchased a pair of Briko bib tights
    from Wiggle. On 17 March 2005 I found
    thay had gone into holes on the inside of the thighs.

    So the question is this: Should I assert my consumer 'rights'
    or forget it and move on? Reply and vote, (begin Hughie Greene voice)
    Remember folk, its your votes that count (end Hughie Greene voice)

    It's never occurred to me that I had teh right for clothes to last
    forever. What rights are you proposing asserting?

    regards, Ian SMith

  3. On 30 Mar 2005 12:12:05 -0800, "[email hidden]"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the return of the tights, we have received them today. The
    representative from Jim Walker was actually here today and has
    inspected
    the tights and has said that they would not be able to warranty them.
    He has said that this kind of problem is caused by rubbing. Please let
    me know your thoughts.

    The last sentence indicates that they are at least open for
    discussion, which is a Good Thing. I have used Briko Katana bibs for
    years with no such problems - are they Katana? The material on those
    is actually quite thick for bike shorts, and very tough.

    Do the holes align with cable braze-ons on your top tube or anything?

    Anyway, Briko are expensive shorts and I'd say anything less than a
    year of daily use of two or three pairs alternated is not good enough.
    I have a pair which was used and washed alternate days, and always for
    Wednesday and Sunday rides being better than the other shorts, for
    nearly three years before starting to deteriorate.

    A pity they are sized for Italian midgets. I am 6'1" and 12st 7 - far
    from porky - and I have to wear XXL because XL is too small! Even the
    XXL is a bit tight in the thighs.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  4. "Ian Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    It's never occurred to me that I had teh right for clothes to last
    forever. What rights are you proposing asserting?

    regards, Ian SMith

    Well, Vernon has been known to mumble something about not getting his
    money's worth if a work shirt doesn't last at least 15 years. But I think
    he's being optimistic ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  5. wafflycat said:

    Well, Vernon has been known to mumble something about not getting his
    money's worth if a work shirt doesn't last at least 15 years. But I think
    he's being optimistic ;-)

    I dunno, I've had most of my shirts for at least that long :-)

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  6. On 30/3/05 9:12 pm, in article
    [email hidden],

    Quoted post said:

    I want you to help me in deciding what to do about my little problem

    Ok, these are the facts:
    On 31 August 2004 I purchased a pair of Briko bib tights
    from Wiggle. On 17 March 2005 I found
    thay had gone into holes on the inside of the thighs.

    I wasn't impressed considering the Tchibo bib tights I had
    before lasted three times as long.

    Depends how much you use them. If I am wearing my Ron Hill tracksters
    regularly then I can wear through a pair in that timeframe. It just happens
    to be where I wear out trousers of all sorts.

    I wore through a pair of Ron Hill Lycra shorts in the same way.

    So no, I would consider 9 months of regular use (ie once a week for all day
    on a bike) to be good value from my point of view.

    Put it down to experience and try a different fabric next time.

    ...d

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, wafflycat

    wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk said:

    Well, Vernon has been known to mumble something about not getting
    his money's worth if a work shirt doesn't last at least 15 years.
    But I think he's being optimistic ;-)

    I can make work shirts last for 15 years quite easily - 1 year at
    work and then they get put into the bike cleaning rags pile:-)

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, "Just zis

    Guy said:

    A pity they are sized for Italian midgets. I am 6'1" and 12st 7 -
    far from porky - and I have to wear XXL because XL is too small!
    Even the XXL is a bit tight in the thighs.

    Purely muscle - absolutely no fat.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net

  9. Quoted message said:

    I want you to help me in deciding what to do about my little problem

    Ok, these are the facts:
    On 31 August 2004 I purchased a pair of Briko bib tights
    from Wiggle. On 17 March 2005 I found
    thay had gone into holes on the inside of the thighs.

    I wasn't impressed considering the Tchibo bib tights I had
    before lasted three times as long.

    I emailed Wiggle and they requested I return the tights
    for inspection.

    This is their response:
    Hi

    Thanks for the return of the tights, we have received them today. The
    representative from Jim Walker was actually here today and has
    inspected
    the tights and has said that they would not be able to warranty them.
    He has said that this kind of problem is caused by rubbing. Please let
    me know your thoughts.

    Thanks Simon
    Wiggle Returns Dept.

    So the question is this: Should I assert my consumer 'rights'
    or forget it and move on? Reply and vote, (begin Hughie Greene voice)
    Remember folk, its your votes that count (end Hughie Greene voice)

    Ask for a refund but forget it and move on if they refuse.

    State that cycling tights should last longer than 7 months and that some
    rubbing against the saddle is not abnormal (if the holes were up by the
    saddle area) (depending on saddle and riding position) so they should be
    tough enough if they are to be "fit for the purpose".

    ~PB

  10. Ian Smith said:

    It's never occurred to me that I had teh right for clothes to last
    forever.

    7 months is hardly "forever".

    Quoted message said:

    What rights are you proposing asserting?

    Fit for teh purpose?

    ~PB

  11. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:01:04 +0100, Sandy Morton <[email hidden]>

    wrote in message : said:
    Quoted message said:

    Even the XXL is a bit tight in the thighs.


    Purely muscle - absolutely no fat.

    Indeed. Which is more than can be said for the rest of me.

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Cyclefest I
    think has something approaching proof of this (see the last pic).

    http://tinyurl.com/5l8h4

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  12. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want you to help me in deciding what to do about my little problem

    Ok, these are the facts:
    On 31 August 2004 I purchased a pair of Briko bib tights
    from Wiggle. On 17 March 2005 I found
    thay had gone into holes on the inside of the thighs.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    So the question is this: Should I assert my consumer 'rights'
    or forget it and move on? Reply and vote, (begin Hughie Greene voice)
    Remember folk, its your votes that count (end Hughie Greene voice)

    Thanks.

    What rights? I doubt you'll find anything re clothing withstanding unlimited
    use for 8 months, unless you only used them twice or some such? lesson
    learned, buy Tchibo next time?
    --
    Tumbleweed

    email replies not necessary but to contact use;
    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  13. Tumbleweed said:

    What rights? I doubt you'll find anything re clothing withstanding
    unlimited use for 8 months, unless you only used them twice or some
    such?

    How about "normal use for 8 months"?

    ~PB

  14. Ian Smith said:

    It's never occurred to me that I had teh right for clothes to last
    forever. What rights are you proposing asserting?

    Six months is hardly forever.

    I'm a bit miffed that the brackets for both the front and rear Cateye
    lights I bought barely a year ago are now knackered, almost beyond use,
    and the front light is practically falling to bits. It's not like I've
    spent the last year riding over cobbles 24 hours a day - am I
    unreasonable to expect these things to last a bit longer? I don't think
    so myself.

    d.

  15. Danny Colyer <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    I dunno, I've had most of my shirts for at least that long :-)

    They can't be recent purchases from M&S then. My partner's shirts have
    become threadbare in places within 2 years :-(

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  16. Just zis Guy said:

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:01:04 +0100, Sandy Morton <[email hidden]>

    wrote in message : said:
    Quoted message said:

    Even the XXL is a bit tight in the thighs.

    Purely muscle - absolutely no fat.

    Indeed. Which is more than can be said for the rest of me.

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Cyclefest I
    think has something approaching proof of this (see the last pic).

    http://tinyurl.com/5l8h4

    I'm not clicking on those unless you _swear_ there are no dodgy 'taches
    in sight.

    James

  17. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    Danny Colyer <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    I dunno, I've had most of my shirts for at least that long :-)

    They can't be recent purchases from M&S then. My partner's shirts have
    become threadbare in places within 2 years :-(

    I pick up most of my fancy shirts from sales in department stores. Lots of
    top quality Germyn street shirts going for a song. And I get to look like a
    1980 yuppy, which is a double bonus 😄.

  18. Pete Biggs said:
    Ian Smith said:

    It's never occurred to me that I had teh right for clothes to last
    forever.

    7 months is hardly "forever".

    Quoted message said:

    What rights are you proposing asserting?

    Fit for teh purpose?

    7 months use is fit for the purpose if it's daily use, imo.

    The very fact that he used them for 7 months tends to count against
    any assertion that they were unfit to be used.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  19. [email hidden] <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : I want you to help me in deciding what to do about my little problem

    What saddle do you use? I find that saddle with embroidery on can
    wear though shorts in that sort of timescale.

    I get a year out of a pair of shorts, but that's running four pairs.
    One pair used all the time would obviously last a lot less.

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
    lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

  20. Danny Colyer said:
    wafflycat said:

    Well, Vernon has been known to mumble something about not getting his
    money's worth if a work shirt doesn't last at least 15 years. But I
    think he's being optimistic ;-)

    I dunno, I've had most of my shirts for at least that long :-)


    I have a shirt that's more than 25 years old. No longer presentable,
    but serves for sitting at home at the computer.

    OTOH, my 1980s office shirts - the ones that'll take a tie - are now
    uncomfortably tight around the paunch. But then, any collar stiff
    enough to take a tie is too uncomfortable to want to wear, anyway.

    --
    Nick Kew

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.