Road Cycling · Public discussion

Wieght/aero-weenie rear rack

Started by Rick Onanian · · Last activity · 7 posts · 999 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 April 2004
Last activity
11 April 2004
Original author
Rick Onanian
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
999
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For my nice, light, aero bike on which I actually reach reasonable
    speeds: How about a lightweight, light-duty rear rack?

    Here's the situation: I want to put my camelbak and random bits I
    bring or acquire in a basket behind me while road riding, with as
    little weight overhead as possible. I don't expect to ever put more
    than 10 pounds on it...just water, food, and maybe books for the
    library. I want to do all of the above while adding as little weight
    as possible for those rides where I do not carry 5 or 10 pounds of
    stuff, and for bike-handling*.

    *I store the bike on a set of hooks on a wall; the spot is difficult
    to access, and I've got bikes underneath it too, so I have to reach
    out at arm's length to hang the bike; every ounce counts there.

    So, explanation now having been given for a seemingly silly request,
    any suggestions on which rear racks are lightest?
    --
    Rick Onanian


  2. Quoted message said:

    "Rick Onanian" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    So, explanation now having been given for a seemingly silly request,
    any suggestions on which rear racks are lightest?


    mark wrote:
    My suggestion would be no rack at all, but instead use a seat bag.

    I wanted to keep my ti fixie light and lean so I used a messenger bag for
    commuting and other times when I needed to carry something. It took a
    little getting used to carrying weight on my body coming from a touring bike
    with front and rear racks. That worked well until it started getting
    warmer/more humid and it became apparent that I would drench my messenger
    bag on each leg of the commute. Now I use a Carradice Nelson longflap. Of
    course I won't sit on anything but a B17 so the saddle loops are taken care
    of. The bag is nice because it holds a lot and doesn't affect handling when
    it's on the bike. When I don't need it, it's easy to take off leaving no
    trace on the bike. Of course it's so useful and so innocuous that it spends
    a lot of time on the bike anyway... A good seat bag is definitely worth a
    look.

  3. Matt O'Toole said:


    Every aluminum rack I've ever had has cracked from fatigue.

    Really??

    I had one very early edition Blackburn rack break from fatigue. It was
    kind of classic - Blackburn stamped his name into the front support rod
    (the one that goes to the rear brake bolt) and it snapped right at the
    "B." Perfect example of fatigue at a stress raiser.

    But since then, all have held up perfectly, despite overloading in some
    cases. The Blackburn racks I'm now using are ancient.

    Well, one exception to that "perfectly": on our coast-to-coast tour
    last summer, a kind soul drove us to his home for an overnight stay, and
    stacked our bikes, on their sides, in the back of his SUV. He managed
    to crack the welds on my wife's front racks. But my identical racks,
    with many more miles and much higher loads, still seem perfect. These
    are Cannondale low rider racks, the type that fasten independently onto
    each fork leg.

    --
    -------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

  4. Two other lightweight possibilities:
    1. The Tubus Fly is a very minimalist stainless steel rack that weighs
    less than one pound. It is very narrow and is not meant to support a
    rack pack; you just lash your stuff onto it. Available from
    Wallingford or Peter White.
    2. The Vaude HighTail, a bag mounted on a very lightweight rack that
    snaps on and off a seat post mount. When you don't need the bag, you
    just detach it and only carry the seatpost mount. Available from
    Adventure Cycling's website. Two very similar bags are available form
    Detours.us.

    Walt Nicholson

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    frkrygow' 'frkrygow'@omitcc.ysu.edu said:
    Matt O'Toole said:


    Every aluminum rack I've ever had has cracked from fatigue.

    Really??

    I had one very early edition Blackburn rack break from fatigue. It was
    kind of classic - Blackburn stamped his name into the front support rod
    (the one that goes to the rear brake bolt) and it snapped right at the
    "B." Perfect example of fatigue at a stress raiser.

    I've had numerous older style aluminum racks break.
    I don't know if it's from fatigue, or just overloading or
    overstressing (I assume fatigue is something different,
    and applies over time, no matter how much loadbearing is
    placed on the thing.) It almost always happens at the
    tongue thing that extends to from the rack to the brake
    bolt bridge between the seat stays. I theorize my cheapie
    old racks break from having a milk crate full of stuff on
    top of it, and whenever I brake or accelerate, the top-
    heaviness levers the rack. I wouldn't be surprised if my
    racks would last longer with lower-slung panniers instead
    of milk crates on top of 'em. Maybe when loaded tourers'
    racks fail, it's often because of the weight of the tents,
    sleeping bags etc. that are piled on top of them?
    But I'm just guessing.

    I note Rivendell says their Nitto racks are less sway-y
    because the struts form a wide-bottomed 'U' rather than
    a pointy 'V'. Those really pretty, German Tubus racks
    are similarly configured. I guess a Tubus rack and a
    pair of Ortliebs would be the cat's meow.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  6. Quoted message said:

    I guess a Tubus rack and a pair of Ortliebs would be the cat's meow.

    I use a Tubus Tara on the front and a Tubus Cargo on the rear of my
    tourer. They're very nice, rigid racks.

    These are brazed, powder coated CroMo racks, Tubus also makes similar
    in stainless steel but they are rated at lesser poundage. Note
    that the Cargo requires rack braze-ons on the seatstays.

    The Fly is available I believe in either CroMo or stainless.

    These are definitely among the best on the market, and priced to
    match.

    On the other hand I have a cheap aluminum Schwinn rack on my commuter,
    it hasn't failed yet. The connection between the rack and the bike,
    on the top, is not the sandwich plate assembly, nor the single strap
    to the brake bridge, but instead is a rather heavy box section truss
    mated to the seatpost clamp bolt.

    I never saw this arrangement before this bike but it has performed
    very well. I have never had a rack failure (although the rack will
    sway in the wind when the panniers are loaded to the max, say forty
    pounds).

    With the Tubus racks there isn't any sway at sixty pounds of gear.

    The Fly, well, it's only got one attachment point on the front, I'd
    expect some sway.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  7. "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Every aluminum rack I've ever had has cracked from fatigue. Rivendell sells
    some really nice, lightweight, steel racks by Nitto. They're expensive, but
    will probably outlast several aluminum ones.


    I give my racks fairly hard duty. Usually by using only one pannier
    and loading it enough to shorten the lives of my rear wheels.
    Note: Riding as a commuter, not a tourer!
    My last welded aluminum rack lasted about ten years. Replaced it with
    a comparable new one from MEC (Mtn Equipt Co-op) for $15 CAD. I
    expect it to last another ten years.
    Bernie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.