Road Cycling · Public discussion

Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Started by Ronde Champ · · Last activity · 76 posts · 7,888 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 July 2004
Last activity
12 July 2004
Original author
Ronde Champ
Posts
76
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
7,888
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 76
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in
    France? I work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay
    could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

  2. Ronde Champ said:

    Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in
    France? I work hard for my money, and think the taxes I
    pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from funds
    received from postage. If you don't want your hard earned
    money to go to the US Postal team, don't mail anything.

    --
    Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

  3. Ronde Champ said:

    I work hard for my money

    no you don't, you spend most of the day on r.b.r

  4. In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, Why does the US federal Government support a bike team
    in France? I work hard for my money, and think the taxes I
    pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more
    business. USPS wanted to get more customers in Europe to use
    their service, so they sponser a bicycle racing team. For
    the money they spend, they get an excellent return on
    investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
    started to complain.
    -------------
    Alex

  5. "Alex Rodriguez" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    For the money they spend, they get an excellent return on
    investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
    started to complain.

    Who do you suppose you are talking to?

  6. "Bob in CT" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ronde Champ said:

    Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team
    in France? I work hard for my money, and think the
    taxes I pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from funds
    received from postage. If you don't want your hard earned
    money to go to the US Postal team, don't mail anything.

    --
    Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

    Bob, this guy doesn't understand that. He is really not all
    there. He spreads so much [censored] around on this board and for
    some reason people reply to him. Best thing to do is put him
    on ignore.

    Curt

  7. curt said:


    "Bob in CT" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ronde Champ said:

    Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team
    in France? I work hard for my money, and think the
    taxes I pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from
    funds received from postage. If you don't want your hard
    earned money to go to the US Postal team, don't mail
    anything.

    --
    Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

    Bob, this guy doesn't understand that. He is really not
    all there. He spreads so much [censored] around on this board
    and for some reason people reply to him. Best thing to do
    is put him on ignore.

    Curt

    Ahhhh, ok. It's been a while since I came here, because the
    place is like the MFW boards -- they eat you alive
    sometimes, usually over nothing.

    --
    Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

  8. I doubt most of the D3 pro's make enough to be taxed anyway.
    Sure they take the taxes out, but you should get that all
    back. If not, then you should spend time talking to an
    accountant and less talking about all the money you're
    losing, because technically, just being a pro bike racer in
    the U.S. is losing you money.

    CH

    [email hidden] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in
    France? I work hard for my money, and think the taxes I
    pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

  9. Bob in CT <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Ronde Champ said:

    Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team
    in France? I work hard for my money, and think the
    taxes I pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    Actually, the US Postal service is entirely run from funds
    received from postage. If you don't want your hard earned
    money to go to the US Postal team, don't mail anything.

    DUDE -- you're being trolled.

    Dude...........

  10. Quoted message said:

    Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more
    business. USPS wanted to get more customers in Europe to
    use their service

    I wonder how you could use the USPS services in Europe???
    Each country has it s own postal services, most of the time
    a Federal Agency or close, so the advertisement reason is
    void for Europe. Works only for USA

  11. And this post, ladies and gentlemen, beautifully illustrates
    WHY USPS is not going to be sponsoring the team anymore.

    As for the reason why they did it in the first place, there
    is a reason. In 1998, USPS was launching a new service,
    Global Priority Mail, which would guarantee delivery to
    most major cities in the world in 3 days. This service was
    being launched not only here but overseas, where they
    sought to pick up some business currently monopolized by
    DHL. They felt that sponsoring a bicycle team that would
    race around the world would increase the visibility of the
    US Postal Service.

    It's not a crazy idea, and by the way, it did work. But they
    feel they've accomplished as much as they can market-share-
    wise, plus all the pressure from groups that think it's a
    waste of money, and so they decided to pull the plug.

    Other point -- the US Postal Service receives NOT ONE RED
    CENT of tax dollars. It fully supports itself via the sale
    of postage stamps and other shipping services. It is a
    corporation, albeit one owned by the US Government, but does
    not receive tax money to support its operations -- those are
    purely financed by its revenues from the sale of stamps and
    other delivery fees.

    Regards,

    Joe Hurley

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, Why does the US federal Government support a bike
    team in France? I work hard for my money, and think the
    taxes I pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

  12. (Ronde Champ) said:

    Hey,

    Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in
    France? I work hard for my money, and think the taxes I
    pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    At the risk of being trolled, especially in light of this
    being my annual post to rbr, I offer this (which I'm sure
    many have seen). It

    collective noses clean...

    ------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------

    The Lake Worth Herald, in a July 2003 editorial wrote,
    "Shouldn’t the post office be directing its efforts into
    more efficient mail delivery, more cost savings within the
    organization, better ways to deal with for-profit
    competitors and leave the heavy duty sponsorships to private
    businesses which can properly track the effectiveness of
    said campaigns?"

    In 2002 the newspapers filed three Freedom of Information
    (FOIA) requests with the USPS for expenses of postal
    executives attending the Tour de France race in Paris.

    The newspapers learned that more than a dozen postal
    executives spent tens of thousands of dollars on first class
    airfare, luxury hotel suites and in Paris’ finest
    restaurants.

    "On July 3, 2001, then Vice President of Sales Gail
    Sonnenberg, and her husband Robert Maddern, manager of post
    office operations in the Washington DC metropolitan area,
    flew to Geneva, one day after the USPS raised postal rates."

    "During less than one month, she expensed nearly $20,000
    to the post office for two roundtrip flights and $1,020 a
    day hotel charges among other expenditures," the
    newspapers reported.

    Asked by the Herald/Observers at the time if he paid his own
    hotel and expenses while in Europe, Maddern responded, "It’s
    none of your business."

    postalwatch.org2004 03 24 au revoir
    _lance.htm

    C.

  13. "Alex Rodriguez" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, Why does the US federal Government support a bike
    team in France? I work hard for my money, and think the
    taxes I pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more
    business. USPS wanted to get more customers in Europe to
    use their service, so they


    sponser

    Quoted message said:

    a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they get
    an excellent return on investment. So they continued to do
    so until ignorant folks started to complain.
    -------------
    Alex

    I would like to see some proof that they are getting bang
    for their buck in terms of promotion and advertising. I
    doubt they are.

  14. But USPS does not pay taxes on the building or land it owns
    as does FedEx and UPS which is a big business advantage.
    Even with the monopoly it has, it cannot make money. Some
    people should be fired and the postal carriers union is part
    of the blame.

    Can anyone show proof that sponsoring a bike team increased
    their market share?

    "Joseph Hurley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    And this post, ladies and gentlemen, beautifully
    illustrates WHY USPS is


    not

    Quoted message said:

    going to be sponsoring the team anymore.

    As for the reason why they did it in the first place,
    there is a reason.


    In

    Quoted message said:

    1998, USPS was launching a new service, Global Priority
    Mail, which would guarantee delivery to most major cities
    in the world in 3 days. This service was being launched
    not only here but overseas, where they sought


    to

    Quoted message said:

    pick up some business currently monopolized by DHL. They
    felt that sponsoring a bicycle team that would race around
    the world would increase the visibility of the US Postal
    Service.

    It's not a crazy idea, and by the way, it did work. But
    they feel they've accomplished as much as they can market-share-
    wise, plus all the pressure from groups that think it's a
    waste of money, and so they decided to pull the plug.

    Other point -- the US Postal Service receives NOT ONE RED
    CENT of tax dollars. It fully supports itself via the sale
    of postage stamps and


    other

    Quoted message said:

    shipping services. It is a corporation, albeit one owned
    by the US Government, but does not receive tax money to
    support its operations -- those are purely financed by its
    revenues from the sale of stamps and


    other

    Quoted message said:

    delivery fees.

    Regards,

    Joe Hurley

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, Why does the US federal Government support a bike
    team in France? I work hard for my money, and think the
    taxes I pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

  15. "Sam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, Why does the US federal Government support a bike
    team in France? I work hard for my money, and think the
    taxes I pay could be better used. What a Boondoggle!

    Like any other company, you have to advertise to get
    more business.


    USPS

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their
    service, so they


    sponser

    Quoted message said:

    a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they
    get an excellent return on investment. So they continued
    to do so until ignorant folks started to complain.
    -------------
    Alex

    I would like to see some proof that they are getting bang
    for their buck


    in

    Quoted message said:

    terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.

    My God you're an idiot. The fastest rider and the fastest
    team in the biggest race in the world! And you want proof?
    If you don't think thats good promotion and advertising then
    you tell us what is.

    Marty

  16. On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:28:35 +0200, David Off <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Ronde Champ said:

    I work hard for my money

    no you don't, you spend most of the day on r.b.r

    ROTFLMAO! A truer statement has never been made on r.b.r.

  17. "Marty Wallace" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Sam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...
    >Hey, Why does the US federal Government support a
    >bike team in France? I work hard for my money, and
    >think the taxes I pay could be better used. What a
    >Boondoggle!

    Like any other company, you have to advertise to get
    more business.


    USPS

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their
    service, so they


    sponser

    Quoted message said:

    a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they
    get an


    excellent

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    return on investment. So they continued to do so until
    ignorant folks started to complain.
    -------------
    Alex

    I would like to see some proof that they are getting
    bang for their buck


    in

    Quoted message said:

    terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.

    My God you're an idiot. The fastest rider and the fastest
    team in the biggest race in the world! And you want proof?
    If you don't think thats good promotion and advertising
    then you tell us what is.

    Marty

    Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the
    "USPS" if it wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked
    in my case 🙂

    USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe
    focused on their name, cycling 'I sense' is much more
    popular in Europe than North America 🙂

  18. In article said:


    "Marty Wallace" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:4-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Sam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news-
    :[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    > In article
    > <[email hidden]>,
    > [email hidden] says...
    > >Hey, Why does the US federal Government support a
    > >bike team in France? I work hard for my money, and
    > >think the taxes I pay could be better used. What a
    > >Boondoggle!
    >
    > Like any other company, you have to advertise to get
    > more business.


    USPS

    Quoted message said:

    > wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their
    > service, so they
    sponser
    > a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they
    > get an


    excellent

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > return on investment. So they continued to do so
    > until ignorant folks started to complain.
    > -------------
    > Alex
    >

    I would like to see some proof that they are getting
    bang for their buck


    in

    Quoted message said:

    terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.

    My God you're an idiot. The fastest rider and the fastest
    team in the biggest race in the world! And you want
    proof? If you don't think thats good promotion and
    advertising then you tell us what is.

    Marty

    Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the
    "USPS" if it wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing
    worked in my case 🙂

    USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe
    focused on their name, cycling 'I sense' is much more
    popular in Europe than North America 🙂

    Also, I think the USPS is privatized and therefore not
    supported by the US government. Complain instead about how
    the US government does support the US automakers, US
    highways, and the US petrolium industry. Talk about a
    boondoggle. Since when is it the responsibility of any
    government to 'bail out' a corporation (Chrysler) or a city
    (New York)?

    Mike

  19. "Churchill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:VucHc.45732

    Quoted message said:


    Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the
    "USPS" if it wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing
    worked in my case 🙂

    USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe
    focused on their name, cycling 'I sense' is much more
    popular in Europe than North America


    🙂

    Quoted message said:

    But this is pointless because the USPS doesn't serve
    European customers. That is, as I understand it, Europeans
    can't even use the USPS to send mail or packages from Europe
    to the US.

    However, even though cycling isn't as popular here, Lance
    has very high name recognition in the US and the
    commercials featuring him racing through "sleet, snow,
    gloom of night, etc" are actually pretty effective images
    for a delivery service.

    As for the USPS advertising in general -- of course they
    have to advertise. They're in competition with FedEx, UPS,
    Airborne, etc for the package delivery business, which is
    the potential growth area. The rise of the Internet has
    greatly increased package delivery (due to internet
    shopping) while it has reduced ordinary mail delivery (due
    to email).

    Mark

  20. Churchill said:

    Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the
    "USPS" if it wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked
    in my case 🙂

    USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe
    focused on their name, cycling 'I sense' is much more
    popular in Europe than North America 🙂

    It's not bad advertising in the US, either, and having seen
    the budget numbers for what they spent supporting Lance & Co
    a couple of years ago, I think they're doing pretty well
    particularly since they're getting a lot more than just some
    forgettable and tawdry billboards and print ads. (By
    comparison, it would have cost several times as much to
    support a NASCAR entry of any note, and would not have given
    them a penny's worth of international recognition, nor would
    it have reached the upper-echelon US business decision-
    makers whose attention they also wanted to draw.)

    Recently, of course, the fact that Lance has been winning
    *in France* has been scoring points with some of the less
    intellectual Americans. They demand their bread and circuses
    loudly. (Some of our local post offices were selling USPS
    cycling jerseys a few months back, and they sold out rather
    quickly. I was surprised that this was the case.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug. Some gardening required to
    reply via email. Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.