General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Why Do Legs Need Stretching but Not Arms?

Started by NYC XYZ · · Last activity · 37 posts · 1,038 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 February 2005
Last activity
24 February 2005
Original author
NYC XYZ
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,038
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, All!

    Stupid goddamned googlegroups seems to have really ruined
    usenet...can't find a yoga NG, but this should still be on-topic for
    MFW:

    How come legs need stretching but not arms? I mean, you know, joggers
    need to stretch hamstrings and so forth, but lifters don't need to
    twist their arms or anything...are upper limbs (is that an actual
    term??) naturally more flexible than lower ones or something??

    TIA!

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, "NYC

    XYZ said:

    Hi, All!

    Stupid goddamned googlegroups seems to have really ruined
    usenet...can't find a yoga NG, but this should still be on-topic for
    MFW:

    How come legs need stretching but not arms? I mean, you know, joggers
    need to stretch hamstrings and so forth, but lifters don't need to
    twist their arms or anything...are upper limbs (is that an actual
    term??) naturally more flexible than lower ones or something??

    I think it is a little confusing to say 'legs need stretching'. Joints
    need a certain range of motion. That range of motion is different for
    different people. As well the ROM can be different for a passive stretch
    than an active stretch.

    So the bottom line in everyday life few people are inconvenienced by
    inadeqate ROM in the wrsit, elbow and shoulder than in the knee and hips.
    But the reality is people should do exercises to ensure adequate ROM about
    upper body joints as well as lower body joints.

    Things like carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by inadequate ROM and
    tightening of ligaments and tendons.

    I've recently converted from powerlifting to olympic lifting and the
    biggest challenge I face is getting shoulder fexibility. Leg flexibility
    is fine.

  3. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:15:46 -0600, [email hidden]

    (Hobbes) said:


    I've recently converted from powerlifting to olympic lifting and the
    biggest challenge I face is getting shoulder fexibility. Leg flexibility
    is fine.

    I was absolutely *amazed* how much shoulder flexibility is required to
    do something like an overhead squat.

    Ellis

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, Ellis

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:15:46 -0600, [email hidden]

    (Hobbes) said:


    I've recently converted from powerlifting to olympic lifting and the
    biggest challenge I face is getting shoulder fexibility. Leg flexibility
    is fine.

    I was absolutely *amazed* how much shoulder flexibility is required to
    do something like an overhead squat.

    The other problem I have in doing the squat [censored] is I tend to make up
    for lack of shoulder flexibility by driving the knees forward - which
    hurts the knees.

    In executing the OH squat you really should try and push the butt back and
    have the body inclined forward. Which requires even more shoulder
    flexibility. My initial reaction was to do the split [censored]. But...

    That would be too easy.

    :^)

  5. Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility? I don't do squats 'cause they're so dangerous (that is,
    potentially so -- so much more going on, I understand), and I prefer to
    "target" my muscles besides.

  6. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility? I don't do squats 'cause they're so dangerous (that is,
    potentially so -- so much more going on, I understand), and I prefer to
    "target" my muscles besides.

    What caliber weapon do you use to "target" your muscles??

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, "NYC

    XYZ said:

    Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility? I don't do squats 'cause they're so dangerous (that is,
    potentially so -- so much more going on, I understand), and I prefer to
    "target" my muscles besides.

    Squat [censored]. Not squat.

    And exercises don't need stretches. ROM needs movement.

  8. On 18 Feb 2005 13:30:05 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility? I don't do squats 'cause they're so dangerous (that is,
    potentially so -- so much more going on, I understand), and I prefer to
    "target" my muscles besides.

    Too scared to squat?

  9. "Hobbes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:khobman800-1802051327410001@localhost...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Ellis

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:15:46 -0600, [email hidden]

    (Hobbes) said:


    I've recently converted from powerlifting to olympic lifting and the
    biggest challenge I face is getting shoulder fexibility. Leg
    flexibility
    is fine.

    I was absolutely *amazed* how much shoulder flexibility is required
    to
    do something like an overhead squat.

    The other problem I have in doing the squat [censored] is I tend to make
    up
    for lack of shoulder flexibility by driving the knees forward - which
    hurts the knees.

    In executing the OH squat you really should try and push the butt back
    and
    have the body inclined forward. Which requires even more shoulder
    flexibility. My initial reaction was to do the split [censored]. But...

    That would be too easy.

    :^)

    If anyone wants to have some real fun with shoulder flexibility, try it
    with one or two kettlebells or dumbbells instead of a bar. Makes the
    barbell version seem easy in terms of shoulder flexibility. I can
    manage about 1/2 bw, that's 1/4 bodyweight in each kettlebell, and my
    form still ain't perfect.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  10. NYC XYZ said:

    How come legs need stretching but not arms? I mean, you know, joggers
    need to stretch hamstrings and so forth, but lifters don't need to
    twist their arms or anything...

    They don't, why?

    Quoted message said:

    are upper limbs (is that an actual
    term??) naturally more flexible than lower ones or something??

  11. NYC XYZ said:
    Quoted message said:

    In executing the OH squat you really should try and push the butt back and
    have the body inclined forward. Which requires even more shoulder
    flexibility. My initial reaction was to do the split [censored]. But...

    That would be too easy.

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility?

    That is an OVERHEAD Squat.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't do squats 'cause they're so dangerous (that is,
    potentially so -- so much more going on, I understand), and I prefer to
    "target" my muscles besides.

    So you don't know squat then. 😉

    Any exercise has some potential for danger. Bad form can really increase
    that as well.

  12. NYC XYZ said:

    Hi, All!

    Stupid goddamned googlegroups seems to have really ruined
    usenet...can't find a yoga NG, but this should still be on-topic for
    MFW:

    How come legs need stretching but not arms? I mean, you know, joggers
    need to stretch hamstrings and so forth, but lifters don't need to
    twist their arms or anything...are upper limbs (is that an actual
    term??) naturally more flexible than lower ones or something??

    Need for what reason?

    Lots of people have inflexible pecs, shoulders, biceps, abs... this can
    influence posture and possibly performance depending on the activity.

    -Adam

  13. Adam Fahy said:

    Lots of people have inflexible pecs, shoulders, biceps, abs... this can
    influence posture and possibly performance depending on the activity.

    I should also add hand/finger/thumb inflexibility, and foot/toe
    inflexibility too for that matter (really).

    -Adam

  14. That is dangerous advice for a newbie. A bar helps stabilize the lift --
    dumbells allow "wandering," and can lead to injury. A clean and jerk with a
    bar is very different than one with dumbells. Not to be advised even for
    experienced lifters unless they go very light.
    rjf
    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    If anyone wants to have some real fun with shoulder flexibility, try it
    with one or two kettlebells or dumbbells instead of a bar. Makes the
    barbell version seem easy in terms of shoulder flexibility. I can
    manage about 1/2 bw, that's 1/4 bodyweight in each kettlebell, and my
    form still ain't perfect.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  15. "Bob Fusillo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That is dangerous advice for a newbie. A bar helps stabilize the
    lift --
    dumbells allow "wandering," and can lead to injury. A clean and jerk
    with a
    bar is very different than one with dumbells. Not to be advised even
    for
    experienced lifters unless they go very light.
    rjf
    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    If anyone wants to have some real fun with shoulder flexibility, try
    it
    with one or two kettlebells or dumbbells instead of a bar. Makes the
    barbell version seem easy in terms of shoulder flexibility. I can
    manage about 1/2 bw, that's 1/4 bodyweight in each kettlebell, and my
    form still ain't perfect.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    The advice, offered as "if anyone wants to have some real fun", was for
    the group, and really for anyone who can already manage a barbell OHS.
    I agree that the bar stabilizes the lift. I'll also add that
    kettlebells work better for me than dumbbells because you can, because
    of the offset of the weight, push forward a bit instead of just trying
    to balance. An altogether brutal but wonderful movement for an
    experienced lifter interested in better shoulder flexibility to try -
    and, as I mentioned, I use very light weights - for me at 150 lbs.
    bodyweight, I use between 25 and 45 lbs. in each hand.

    Steve "not top posting here" Freides
    http://www.kbnj.com

  16. On 18 Feb 2005 13:30:05 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility?

    He was talking about overhead squats:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/OverheadSquat.html

    Ordinary squats don't require much upper body flexibility.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't do squats 'cause they're so dangerous (that is,
    potentially so -- so much more going on, I understand),

    Everything is potentially dangerous. "Everyone" should
    squat. It is the best all around exercise in existence.

    Quoted message said:

    and I prefer to "target" my muscles besides.

    What on earth do you mean by that? Do you prefer
    isolation exercises? If so, you are wrong. Very wrong.

    --
    Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

  17. "Helgi Briem" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    NYC XYZ said:

    Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility?

    He was talking about overhead squats:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/OverheadSquat.html

    I thought her (?) setup looked a bit far back, so I went to look at my
    favorite Oly lifting site, WSU's and it's not available for some reason
    (it's still listed in the site directory). Fortunately, there's
    archive.org, and they had a copy

    http://web.archive.org/web/20031211131138/www.wsu.edu/athletics/strength/ovs
    quat.htm

    In these pictures, he doesn't look like he's carrying the bar so far behind
    him.

    (My second favorite Oly site,
    http://www.olympiclifting.citymax.com/page/page/91595.htm, has a message
    that says, "This website has been cancelled." WTF? Archive.org had this
    page, too, but none of the subpages were archived. :-(

    Anyway, my question was, how far back should the bar be carried? (and
    what's the right nomenclature for this?) In the WSU photos, his knees
    appear more 'back' than the video in exrx, so it's not a shoulder thang,
    like Keith described.

    Thoughts?

    Quoted message said:


    Ordinary squats don't require much upper body flexibility.

    I thought some people had trouble holding the bar on their traps. They
    couldn't squeeze their shoulders back enough. Isn't that flexibility
    issue? I know Keith was talking [censored] squats originally, but it seems to
    me I have read about people having flexibility issues with regular squats,
    haven't they?

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I don't do squats 'cause they're so dangerous (that is,
    potentially so -- so much more going on, I understand),

    IOM?

    Quoted message said:


    Everything is potentially dangerous. "Everyone" should
    squat. It is the best all around exercise in existence.

    Quoted message said:

    and I prefer to "target" my muscles besides.

    What on earth do you mean by that? Do you prefer
    isolation exercises? If so, you are wrong. Very wrong.

    <whit>
    word.
    </whit>

    Selene

    --
    There's nothing scarier than a soybean wielding a chainsaw. -- Lucas Buck

  18. "Hobbes" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    NYC XYZ said:

    Stupid goddamned googlegroups seems to have really ruined
    usenet...can't find a yoga NG, but this should still be on-topic for
    MFW:

    How come legs need stretching but not arms? I mean, you know, joggers
    need to stretch hamstrings and so forth, but lifters don't need to
    twist their arms or anything...are upper limbs (is that an actual
    term??) naturally more flexible than lower ones or something??

    I'd submit that joggers don't need to stretch their hamstrings so much as
    they need to warm up their hamstrings. Some may choose to do it through
    (passive) stretching, others through dynamic movement. There have been
    myriad discussions of the benefits of one over the other. If you believe in
    warming up, then yes, lifters should do that for their upper body as well as
    their legs.

    Quoted message said:

    I think it is a little confusing to say 'legs need stretching'. Joints
    need a certain range of motion. That range of motion is different for
    different people. As well the ROM can be different for a passive stretch
    than an active stretch.

    Some people say 'warm up', some people say 'active stretch.' :-)

    Quoted message said:


    So the bottom line in everyday life few people are inconvenienced by
    inadeqate ROM in the wrsit, elbow and shoulder than in the knee and hips.
    But the reality is people should do exercises to ensure adequate ROM about
    upper body joints as well as lower body joints.

    Things like carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by inadequate ROM and
    tightening of ligaments and tendons.

    Keith, I'm curious about this carpal tunnel reference. I don't have
    particular CT trouble (unless I'm mousing too much) but I have friends that
    do. I thought it was more of an ergonomics thing. You're saying it's a ROM
    thing? So what ROM exercises should be done for CT problems? Is that the
    whole bend the hand down and up at the wrist deal?

    Selene

    --
    There's nothing scarier than a soybean wielding a chainsaw. -- Lucas Buck

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, "Selene"

    Quoted message said:

    "Helgi Briem" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    NYC XYZ said:

    Oh, wow...! So is the squat the only exercise requiring upper-body
    flexibility?

    He was talking about overhead squats:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/OverheadSquat.html

    I thought her (?) setup looked a bit far back, so I went to look at my
    favorite Oly lifting site, WSU's and it's not available for some reason
    (it's still listed in the site directory). Fortunately, there's
    archive.org, and they had a copy

    http://web.archive.org/web/20031211131138/www.wsu.edu/athletics/strength/ovs
    quat.htm

    In these pictures, he doesn't look like he's carrying the bar so far behind
    him.

    (My second favorite Oly site,
    http://www.olympiclifting.citymax.com/page/page/91595.htm, has a message
    that says, "This website has been cancelled." WTF? Archive.org had this
    page, too, but none of the subpages were archived. :-(

    Anyway, my question was, how far back should the bar be carried? (and
    what's the right nomenclature for this?) In the WSU photos, his knees
    appear more 'back' than the video in exrx, so it's not a shoulder thang,
    like Keith described.

    There are no hard and fast rules, but obviously the bar has to be in the
    lifters center of balance. As a general rule - bar forward means the knees
    have to come forward and the torso has to stay upright. So you better have
    good knees and strong quads. Bar back - well, the arms have to be vertical
    with any kind of weight so you better have good shoulder flexibility. Most
    commonly the bar is held straight up from the back of the head.

    Here is a shot of a young, well-balanced lifter with a good, strong catch
    position.

    http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/[censored]

    Generally you should try and spread the bar (attempt to pull the bar
    apart) and push back during the ascent. Further back is better to a
    certain degree, assuming the shoulder flexibility is good. Another way of
    thinking of body position is to push your butt back and jutt your jaw
    forward.

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, "Selene"

    Quoted message said:

    "Hobbes" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    NYC XYZ said:

    Stupid goddamned googlegroups seems to have really ruined
    usenet...can't find a yoga NG, but this should still be on-topic for
    MFW:

    How come legs need stretching but not arms? I mean, you know, joggers
    need to stretch hamstrings and so forth, but lifters don't need to
    twist their arms or anything...are upper limbs (is that an actual
    term??) naturally more flexible than lower ones or something??

    I'd submit that joggers don't need to stretch their hamstrings so much as
    they need to warm up their hamstrings. Some may choose to do it through
    (passive) stretching, others through dynamic movement. There have been
    myriad discussions of the benefits of one over the other. If you believe in
    warming up, then yes, lifters should do that for their upper body as well as
    their legs.

    Quoted message said:

    I think it is a little confusing to say 'legs need stretching'. Joints
    need a certain range of motion. That range of motion is different for
    different people. As well the ROM can be different for a passive stretch
    than an active stretch.

    Some people say 'warm up', some people say 'active stretch.' :-)

    These are not necessarily the same thing.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    So the bottom line in everyday life few people are inconvenienced by
    inadeqate ROM in the wrsit, elbow and shoulder than in the knee and hips.
    But the reality is people should do exercises to ensure adequate ROM about
    upper body joints as well as lower body joints.

    Things like carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by inadequate ROM and
    tightening of ligaments and tendons.

    Keith, I'm curious about this carpal tunnel reference. I don't have
    particular CT trouble (unless I'm mousing too much) but I have friends that
    do. I thought it was more of an ergonomics thing. You're saying it's a ROM
    thing? So what ROM exercises should be done for CT problems? Is that the
    whole bend the hand down and up at the wrist deal?

    Yup. Stretch the wrists. There are a number of books available with
    specific stretches, but I've never really worried about this as I haven't
    had a problem.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.