rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Who the HELL is this MI,5 Persecution Dude????

Started by Papa Tom · · Last activity · 14 posts · 790 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
31 December 2007
Last activity
9 January 2008
Original author
Papa Tom
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
790
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This is ridiculous. He's ruining every damned discussion group out there.
    Can somebody fill me in on the secret? What's this guy's gripe???

  2. Isn't there a way to block this guy?

  3. cmcanulty said:

    Isn't there a way to block this guy?

    Some good suggestions here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sewing/browse_thread/thread/64d45b305ba0e306/b3ce189f2d74a540#b3ce189f2d74a540

    HTH

    --Karen D.

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Isn't there a way to block this guy?<<<<

    The problem is, he varies the subject lines and e-mail addresses in each
    posting, so I can't seem to keep up with all the new "Message Rules" I have
    to create in Outlook Express to block him.

    Do you know what his issue is? Is he just a nut job, or is he really being
    "Harrassed" by somebody?

  5. Some good suggestions here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sewing/browse_thread/thread/64d45b305ba0e306/b3ce189f2d74a540#b3ce189f2d74a540

    Couldn't quite find the answer there. What am I missing?

  6. Papa Tom said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>Isn't there a way to block this guy?<<<<

    The problem is, he varies the subject lines and e-mail addresses in each
    posting, so I can't seem to keep up with all the new "Message Rules" I have
    to create in Outlook Express to block him.

    Do you know what his issue is? Is he just a nut job, or is he really being
    "Harrassed" by somebody?

    Maybe we can write M15 and ask them to block his e-mails!

  7. Papa Tom said:

    Some good suggestions here:http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sewing/browse_thread/thread/64d45b...

    Couldn't quite find the answer there. What am I missing?

    Alt.sewing doesn't have the answer about this particular poster, but
    we were referring each other to blocking techniques.

    This was interesting: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22mike+corley%22+faq

    Apparently he's a UK version of M-k- V-nd-m-n (see rec.bicycles.soc)
    except that the windmills are not mountain bikers and trail use and
    cell phones.

    HTH

    --Karen D.

  8. Papa Tom said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>Isn't there a way to block this guy?<<<<

    Do you know what his issue is? Is he just a nut job, or is he really being
    "Harrassed" by somebody?


    I believe that he is ill. He's been a problem poster on some uk.
    groups for several years.....

    Don't know whether you can do this on your Newsreader (I use Agent);
    but you may have an option to ignore threads that are posted to more
    than 4 groups - this has worked for me.

    Regards

  9. On Jan 2, 2:03 am, nicholas finlay <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:09:19 -0500, "Papa Tom"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>Isn't there a way to block this guy?<<<<

    Quoted message said:

    Do you know what his issue is? Is he just a nut job, or is he really being
    "Harrassed" by somebody?

    I believe that he is ill. He's been a problem poster on some uk.
    groups for several years.....

    Yep.

    I actually reached out to his former employer, once named in one of
    our buddy's lengthy screeds.

    The employer confirms that ... yes, he did work for them ... about 16
    years ago, and ... yes, he's severely mentally ill. It's pretty sad.

    I'm thinking of tapping my contacts at MI5 to ask them to back off a
    little.

    ;-)

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of tapping my contacts at MI5 to ask them to back off a
    little.<<<<

    What is MI5?

    I think we need to compose a list of all possible ways he can configure the
    letters and numbers in his posts and spread it across Usenet. That would
    make it easier to use the blocking techniques provided by Outlook Express
    and other newsreaders.

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Jan 2, 2:03 am, nicholas finlay <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:09:19 -0500, "Papa Tom"

    Quoted message said:

    >>>>Isn't there a way to block this guy?<<<<

    Quoted message said:

    Do you know what his issue is? Is he just a nut job, or is he really
    being
    "Harrassed" by somebody?

    I believe that he is ill. He's been a problem poster on some uk.
    groups for several years.....

    Yep.

    I actually reached out to his former employer, once named in one of
    our buddy's lengthy screeds.

    The employer confirms that ... yes, he did work for them ... about 16
    years ago, and ... yes, he's severely mentally ill. It's pretty sad.

    I'm thinking of tapping my contacts at MI5 to ask them to back off a
    little.

    ;-)

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Papa Tom

    Quoted message said:

    This is ridiculous. He's ruining every damned discussion group out there.
    Can somebody fill me in on the secret? What's this guy's gripe???

    Plonking this crank is easy if your newsreader allows filtering by
    regular expressions (grep). On the Mac side I use Thoth (discontinued
    but compatible with Leopard); there's a host of other readers that can
    do the same.

    FYI to banish Blofeld to oblivion create a filter that kills any
    articles having the following regular expression in the subject line
    (between quotations): "M.I.5|MI5"

    This filter can be amended to cope with filter evading character
    rearrangements the spammer resorts to.

  12. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >FYI to banish Blofeld to oblivion create a filter that kills any
    >articles having the following regular expression in the subject line
    >(between quotations): "M.I.5|MI5". This filter can be amended to cope
    >with filter evading character rearrangements the spammer resorts to<<<<<

    That's the problem. He seems to have found 150 ways to enter "MI5" in his
    subject line and I can't keep up with all of them.

  13. Tom said:

    That's the problem. He seems to have found 150 ways to enter "MI5" in his
    subject line and I can't keep up with all of them.

    But "persecution" seems to be unchanged.

    HTH

    --Karen D.

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, Papa Tom

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>FYI to banish Blofeld to oblivion create a filter that kills any
    >>articles having the following regular expression in the subject line
    >>(between quotations): "M.I.5|MI5". This filter can be amended to cope
    >>with filter evading character rearrangements the spammer resorts to<<<<<

    That's the problem. He seems to have found 150 ways to enter "MI5" in his
    subject line and I can't keep up with all of them.

    The beauty of grep filters is that a single instance can block a wide
    variety of character strings, especially when they're formulaic as the
    MI5 variants.

    I just d/led 1820 headers, dating from May 17, 07, from the
    rec.bicycles.rides newsgroup with the aforementioned simple filter
    disabled. Result: 122 variations of MI5 spam are listed; with the
    filter enabled all are killed, I don't see any of them.

    Your post shows up because your rendering of MI5 (MI,5) deviates
    slightly, but markedly, from those of the spammer's formula.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.