Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

which rack to buy for a Econoline passenger van?

Started by jason · · Last activity · 13 posts · 598 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
21 April 2004
Last activity
3 May 2004
Original author
jason
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
598
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have one of those extended 15 passenger vans. I've got 5 kids, so
    potentially 5-7 bikes to lug with me on a trip. Any advice on racks
    or something to tow instead?

    I used to have a rack on a minivan (several kids ago) and it would
    cause this annoying whistling sound when I went above 60 mph, I'm
    looking to avoid that too 🙂

    TY
    Jason Shohet

  2. (jason) said:

    I have one of those extended 15 passenger vans. I've got 5 kids, so
    potentially 5-7 bikes to lug with me on a trip. Any advice on racks
    or something to tow instead?

    I used to have a rack on a minivan (several kids ago) and it would
    cause this annoying whistling sound when I went above 60 mph, I'm
    looking to avoid that too 🙂

    TY
    Jason Shohet

    http://www.sportsrig.com/

    Have one of the older ones, when they were sold as Howling Dog
    trailers. Other than some very minor issues that the professional
    assembly guy took care of without any problem, it completely
    functioned as advertised. Problem? The extra charge for the extra axle
    at toll booths. Otherwise, its on in a minute before the start of a
    trip - you can even load the bikes the night before and store it in
    the garage - and off the minute you get home. Load at waist level.
    I've gotten six diamond frame bikes and three recumbents (two singles
    and a tandem). Very little wind noise and they are protected by the
    vehicle.

    Works a lot better than the 8' x 4' (actually 100" by 50"😉 trailer
    that I set up for bikes before. Easy to add racks to one that type
    utility trailer and its cheaper, but it is real hard to weigh the
    trailer to have the springs work right - bikes are simply too light.
    Hit a railroad crossing at speed and it looks like the bikes are about
    to launch. This trailer is sprung for the 3-5 bike weight and rides
    like a dream.

    Extra value: with the Yakima tandem mount, you can do most work on a
    regular or recumbent tandem at a comfortable height.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I have one of those extended 15 passenger vans. I've got 5 kids, so
    potentially 5-7 bikes to lug with me on a trip. Any advice on racks
    or something to tow instead?

    I used to have a rack on a minivan (several kids ago) and it would
    cause this annoying whistling sound when I went above 60 mph, I'm
    looking to avoid that too 🙂

    TY
    Jason Shohet

    I would suggest a trailer for the bikes and a Vasectomy.

    --

    Cletus D. Lee
    Bacchetta Giro
    Lightning Voyager
    http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. [email hidden] (jason) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have one of those extended 15 passenger vans. I've got 5 kids, so
    potentially 5-7 bikes to lug with me on a trip. Any advice on racks
    or something to tow instead?

    I used to have a rack on a minivan (several kids ago) and it would
    cause this annoying whistling sound when I went above 60 mph, I'm
    looking to avoid that too 🙂

    TY
    Jason Shohet

    Is there some reason why you can't carry the bikes inside? It seems to
    me that by removing the rearmost seat, you could pack all the bikes in
    the back.

    As to roof racks whistling, most manufacturers offer a fairing to
    reduce wind noise, such as this Yakima:
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-8007047.html

    I *wish* I had an extended Econoline. As it is, my extended Aerostar
    will carry me and my wife and our Tour Easys... and that's it.

    Jeff

  5. (Jeff Wills) said:

    As to roof racks whistling, most manufacturers offer a fairing to
    reduce wind noise, such as this Yakima:
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-8007047.html

    Those have to be mountee carefully and then watched. If you check a
    few that have been left on any length of time, most will have damaged
    the paint job from rubbing.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  6. Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    (Jeff Wills) said:

    As to roof racks whistling, most manufacturers offer a fairing to
    reduce wind noise, such as this Yakima:
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-8007047.html

    Those have to be mountee carefully and then watched. If you check a
    few that have been left on any length of time, most will have damaged
    the paint job from rubbing.

    Curtis L. Russell

    Yeah, but who's going to see it on the *top* of an Econoline van? ;-)

    Jeff

  7. "Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    [Yakima rack fairing] will have damaged
    the paint job from rubbing.

    Yeah, but who's going to see it on the *top* of an Econoline van? ;-)

    The accident investigation officers. The 15 passenger vans
    are reportedly more susceptible to roll-over. Adding five
    bike to the top, even if it were practical could exacerbate
    that problem.

    I have enough problems getting bikes on and off a minivan
    roof rack. I can't imagine loading and unloading bikes from
    a full-size van roof rack would be anything put a royal
    pain!

    Light weight trailer seems like a much better choice.

    Jon Meinecke

  8. "Jon Meinecke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    [Yakima rack fairing] will have damaged
    the paint job from rubbing.

    Yeah, but who's going to see it on the *top* of an Econoline van? ;-)

    The accident investigation officers. The 15 passenger vans
    are reportedly more susceptible to roll-over. Adding five
    bike to the top, even if it were practical could exacerbate
    that problem.

    Uh, no... the extended-van rollover susceptibility is *real*, but only
    when the the 15-passenger vans are loaded to capacity. When the
    passenger load is less (the OP said 7 people maximum), they're no more
    dangerous than standard-length vans. Also, I can't see 200 pounds of
    bikes causing more problems than 200 pounds of passenger.

    Quoted message said:

    I have enough problems getting bikes on and off a minivan
    roof rack. I can't imagine loading and unloading bikes from
    a full-size van roof rack would be anything put a royal
    pain!

    Yep- the Cycle Oregon SAG vans are set up with multiple roof racks,
    ladders up the sides, and walking platforms on top. They'll carry up
    to 12 bikes and riders, I think.

    Quoted message said:


    Light weight trailer seems like a much better choice.

    Jon Meinecke

    I agree- but a trailer setup could be much more expensive than a rack,
    depending on the user's abilities at construction and juryrigging.

    Jeff

  9. "Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jon Meinecke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Curtis L. Russell <[email hidden]> wrote
    >
    > [Yakima rack fairing] will have damaged
    > the paint job from rubbing.

    Yeah, but who's going to see it on the *top* of an Econoline van? ;-)

    The accident investigation officers. The 15 passenger vans
    are reportedly more susceptible to roll-over. Adding five
    bike to the top, even if it were practical could exacerbate
    that problem.

    Uh, no... the extended-van rollover susceptibility is *real*, but only
    when the the 15-passenger vans are loaded to capacity. When the
    passenger load is less (the OP said 7 people maximum), they're no more
    dangerous than standard-length vans. Also, I can't see 200 pounds of
    bikes causing more problems than 200 pounds of passenger.

    200 pounds worth of bikes on the roof would cause more problems than 200
    pounds of passengers in the cab due to a higher center of gravity although
    how much I don't know

    I'd be more concerned about low bridges tho

  10. I used to carry 5 uprights on my older Econoline van, one of which was a
    Schwinn tandem. I never had a bit of problem. Used a performance rack back
    then, about 10 years ago. I only carry 4 bikes now, 2 being 'bents, on my
    Windstar minivan. One is a RANS Screamer. I use a Saris rack, with an Atoc
    tandem topper mounted to it for the Screamer. Not any problems in about 3
    years.

    Jim Vincent
    RANS Screamer - Vision R50

  11. "Mark Leuck" <[email hidden]> wrote>

    Quoted message said:

    "Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    "Jon Meinecke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    [...] The 15 passenger vans
    are reportedly more susceptible to roll-over. Adding five
    bike to the top, even if it were practical could exacerbate
    that problem.

    Uh, no... the extended-van rollover susceptibility is *real*, but only
    when the 15-passenger vans are loaded to capacity. When the
    passenger load is less (the OP said 7 people maximum), they're no more
    dangerous than standard-length vans.

    Yes, loading is a large issue. SUVs and full size vans are
    reportedly more likely in general to be involved in roll-over
    accidents than lower profile cars. The fact that they may be
    driven by people who don't fully appreciate the handling
    differences of such vehicles (particularly in emergency
    situations) is a potentially large factor.

    So yes, adding 5 bikes may have only an incremental effect
    on handling. As I said, "could exacerbate"...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Also, I can't see 200 pounds of bikes causing more problems
    than 200 pounds of passenger.

    The laws of physics? %^) Leverage.

    Quoted message said:


    200 pounds worth of bikes on the roof would cause more problems than 200
    pounds of passengers in the cab due to a higher center of gravity although
    how much I don't know

    As Mark points out, adding weight well above center of gravity
    will have a proportionately larger effect than weight closer to the
    ground. Our old church vans had luggage racks on the top. The
    new ones do not. I suspect this change was at least partially
    related to safety concerns.

    Quoted message said:


    I'd be more concerned about low bridges tho

    Yes. And concern for my back for lifting bikes onto
    and off of the top.

    From my experience with minivans, those bikes on top will have
    *certain* effect on fuel economy. Perhaps more than a
    lightweight trailer.

    Jon Meinecke

  12. Curtis,

    The sportsrig is expensive (phew). Also, it seems like just the basic
    rig. Does it come with locks to hold down a few bikes? Or do I have
    to in any case buy a Yakima rack and mount it onto the rig?

    Thanks
    Jason

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.sportsrig.com/

    Have one of the older ones, when they were sold as Howling Dog
    trailers. Other than some very minor issues that the professional
    assembly guy took care of without any problem, it completely
    functioned as advertised. Problem? The extra charge for the extra axle
    at toll booths. Otherwise, its on in a minute before the start of a
    trip - you can even load the bikes the night before and store it in
    the garage - and off the minute you get home. Load at waist level.
    I've gotten six diamond frame bikes and three recumbents (two singles
    and a tandem). Very little wind noise and they are protected by the
    vehicle.

    Works a lot better than the 8' x 4' (actually 100" by 50"😉 trailer
    that I set up for bikes before. Easy to add racks to one that type
    utility trailer and its cheaper, but it is real hard to weigh the
    trailer to have the springs work right - bikes are simply too light.
    Hit a railroad crossing at speed and it looks like the bikes are about
    to launch. This trailer is sprung for the 3-5 bike weight and rides
    like a dream.

    Extra value: with the Yakima tandem mount, you can do most work on a
    regular or recumbent tandem at a comfortable height.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  13. (jason) said:

    Curtis,

    The sportsrig is expensive (phew). Also, it seems like just the basic
    rig. Does it come with locks to hold down a few bikes? Or do I have
    to in any case buy a Yakima rack and mount it onto the rig?

    Thanks
    Jason

    The racks are extra. I already had a full set plus, so it wasn't an
    issue. I bought it when they were cheaper, but right after buying a
    tandem recumbent, so the wallet was definitely dinged by the time it
    went to Massachusetts fully loaded.

    If I were on a budget (as I was the year prior), I would go the 50" by
    100" utility trailer. Its easy to get racks to work with them and the
    only problem is storage and 'bounce'. The first time you see the
    oversprung trailer filled with about $ 10,000 worth of bikes (hauling
    a clubs worth) bounce sky high crossing the railroad tracks, your
    heart can come to a stop.

    The Sportsrig/Howling Dog is much better behaved and easier to store.
    We just decided that it was cheaper than adding 32 square feet to our
    storage area for the old trailer.

    Guess with trailer and new Yak attachments, you can get north of $
    1,500 without too much trouble. I think its worth it if this is your
    major hobby and you want easy travel. I wouldn't if this is a seasonal
    thing or an occasional hobby. (Plus: you never have to worry if the
    new car will handle the old Yak rails - you can add a trailer hitch to
    just about anything).

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.