Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Where to go in Europe

Started by TriBird · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,528 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
27 August 2005
Last activity
6 December 2005
Original author
TriBird
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,528
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm going on a holiday to Europe (Britian, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austia, Italy). However I'm not taking my bike. Is there anything I should visit (to do with cycling) while I'm there? Are there any good cycling museums, impressive bike shops, bike factory tours etc.

    Please let me know of anything,

    Thanks🙂

  2. TriBird said:

    I'm going on a holiday to Europe (Britian, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austia, Italy). However I'm not taking my bike. Is there anything I should visit (to do with cycling) while I'm there? Are there any good cycling museums, impressive bike shops, bike factory tours etc.

    Please let me know of anything,

    Thanks🙂

    http://torelli.com/travel/Italy/travintro.html has some tips...

    There is a shrine to cycling somewhere in Italy... can't remember what its called though...uh.. you should go there though.

  3. Jakey said:

    torelli.comtravintro.html has some tips...

    There is a shrine to cycling somewhere in Italy... can't remember what its called though...uh.. you should go there though.


    The Italian patron-saint of cycling is the Bella De Ghisallo. Not exactly sure how you spell it, but google should mention it somewhere.
    Belgium has the world's best cycling museum- not sure where, though!
    London has Herne Hill Velodrome- which is the home of British cycling. 😄

  4. Well, if it is cycling history you seek, may I suggest my own country. Italy. IMHO, the other two countries worth visiting for cycling history are Belgium (you too can cycle all the muurs!) and the contiguous area in France, for the Paris-Roubaix cobbles.

    And it is Madonna del Ghisallo, patron saint of cyclists, and cycling museum, with Coppi, Bartali and Merck's original bikes, to name a few.

    Read all about it:

    www-math.science.unitn.itMadonna Ghisallo.html

    Beautiful area for general tourism and riding, as long as you stay away during the weekends, when three quarters of Milano invade the area!

    For general tourism information check out: larioonline.itlarioonline.it they have an English section also.

    And of course, you should also make your way up the Croce d' Aune and pay homage to Tullio Campagnolo!

    There is a well known race there with a good web page with all the info you need, also in English: http://www.pedavenacrocedaune.org/

  5. BTW, there is some great riding in Austria also, if you have time make your way and ride the Grossglockner, if you can...

    Official, German only page: http://www.grossglockner.at/

    And for some very nice routes all the way to Austria check out: http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bike2002/mechanics/planning.htm

    And of course, to know the gears (and prayers) required on any particular day:

    http://www.salite.ch

    Good luck and have fun! 😄

  6. In Switzerland, some of the most famous cols are worth a visit, for example Gotthard (the old cobbled road), Nufenen, Furka, Grimsel. They are quite impressive, even by car (and these are all very close).
    There are many others depending on where you are.
    In Lausanne there is the olympic museum, which is not bad if you are interested in other sports too.

  7. frenk said:

    In Switzerland, some of the most famous cols are worth a visit, for example Gotthard (the old cobbled road), Nufenen, Furka, Grimsel. They are quite impressive, even by car (and these are all very close).
    There are many others depending on where you are.
    In Lausanne there is the olympic museum, which is not bad if you are interested in other sports too.

    I'll second that! Two years ago we rode up the Grimsel, then down the valley on the other side, then up and over the Furka. A pretty amazing day, but then the next day rode up and over the Gotthard.

  8. Hi

    Can I narrow it a bit. Where to go in Italy. I'm going there in May 2006. No special route in mind, but I would welcome any info you might have. Have you cycled Italy, and if so, where did you go ?

    Thanks
    Robert

  9. you have to go to the cinque terra in Italy. I am living in Italy right now and it is amazing!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.