Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Where to Get Brake bosses for Cantis & V's?

Started by Aman · · Last activity · 13 posts · 381 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 January 2005
Last activity
11 January 2005
Original author
Aman
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
381
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    OK, I'm not even sure if break boss is the right term, but,
    I think it at least makes sense to those in this news-group.
    I mean the thing that screws into the frame or fork and then
    which the bolt which holds the brake is thus screwed into.
    What is this called? I did search a lot and deduced brake
    boss. Though at start I wanted to call it a brake mount or
    a brake post.

    ANYWAY, Where can you get these things?

    Thanks for your help,

    Alex, "I can play Harmonica just like Bob Dylan," Hansen

  2. Aman said:

    Hi,

    OK, I'm not even sure if break boss is the right term, but,
    I think it at least makes sense to those in this news-group.
    I mean the thing that screws into the frame or fork and then
    which the bolt which holds the brake is thus screwed into.
    What is this called? I did search a lot and deduced brake
    boss. Though at start I wanted to call it a brake mount or
    a brake post.

    ANYWAY, Where can you get these things?

    Thanks for your help,

    They are also known as cantilever bosses or cantilever studs, and are
    typically brazed to frames. See
    <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-fixture.html>.

    Cantilever bosses are $3.95/each from the Quality Bicycle Products
    Special Order Catalog:
    <http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Description=boss&Brand=&Submit.x=6&Submit.y=2>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

  3. Tom Sherman said:

    Cantilever bosses are $3.95/each from the Quality Bicycle Products
    Special Order Catalog:


    <http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Description=boss&Brand=&Submit.x=6&Submit.y=2>.

    If you want to forgo brazing the mounts on your frame, BMX shops have
    clamp-on mounts for cantilever or V-brakes:
    http://bikehound.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BR9121

    This should be available through any shop that orders from Quality
    Bicycle Products- but it strangely doesn't appear in the Harris
    catalog. Odd.

    Jeff

  4. OK, I looked at what Harris Cyclery Has:

    Cantilever boss, Rear, machined, sold each (FS1152) $3.95

    This is the closest thing that I have found to what I'm
    looking for but it's not it. The frame I am trying to set
    up(IF Deluxe) has the base of the brake boss welded or
    brazed on, but the post is removable, unlike the one
    pictured at Harris. I have another frame like this as well.
    At the base of the round post it is squared off so that
    it can be removed or replaced. I think some frames do this
    now because of disk brakes, so you can remove the post if
    your not using it. This Threaded brake post is what I need.
    Does any body no where I can find this?

    Just to clarify, the mount is brazed to the frame, it has
    internal threads in it. what I need is the post that threads
    into it.

    All help Appreciated, Alex

    On 9 Jan 2005 said:


    Tom Sherman said:

    Cantilever bosses are $3.95/each from the Quality Bicycle Products
    Special Order Catalog:


    <http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Description=boss&Brand=&Submit.x=6&Submit.y=2>.

    If you want to forgo brazing the mounts on your frame, BMX shops have
    clamp-on mounts for cantilever or V-brakes:
    http://bikehound.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BR9121

    This should be available through any shop that orders from Quality
    Bicycle Products- but it strangely doesn't appear in the Harris
    catalog. Odd.

    Jeff

  5. Aman said:

    Alex, "I can play Harmonica just like Bob Dylan," Hansen

    My condolences to the family and survivors.

    Ron

  6. On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:25:00 -0800, Aman wrote
    (in article <[email hidden]>😉:

    Quoted message said:

    Just to clarify, the mount is brazed to the frame, it has
    internal threads in it. what I need is the post that threads
    into it.

    All help Appreciated, Alex

    Have you tried contacting Independent Fabrications? Seems like they would be
    the best source for either the part or the information you seek.

    Independent Fabrication, Inc.
    86 Joy Street (Rear)
    Somerville, MA 02143
    Phone: 617 666 3609
    Fax: 617 666 1655

    Sales : [email hidden]

  7. Paul Hays said:


    Have you tried contacting Independent Fabrications? Seems like they


    would be

    Quoted message said:

    the best source for either the part or the information you seek.

    I agree. The most likely place to purchase one of these is a
    framebuilding shop.
    Easton shows the part you're looking for (I think):
    http://www.eastonbike.com/TUBE_SETS/tubes_frame_access.html
    but you'd probably be better off getting one from IF.

    Jeff

  8. Paul Hays said:


    Have you tried contacting Independent Fabrications? Seems like they


    would be

    Quoted message said:

    the best source for either the part or the information you seek.

    I agree. The most likely place to purchase one of these is a
    framebuilding shop.
    Easton shows the part you're looking for (I think):
    http://www.eastonbike.com/TUBE_SETS/tubes_frame_access.html
    but you'd probably be better off getting one from IF.

    Jeff

  9. Jeff
    Aman doesn't need a braze on type, he just needs the much ez'er to
    install screw on kind.
    Aman wrote:
    "I mean the thing that screws into the frame or fork and then
    which the bolt which holds the brake is thus screwed into."
    John

  10. Jeff
    Aman doesn't need a braze on type, he just needs the much ez'er to
    install screw on kind.
    Aman wrote:
    "I mean the thing that screws into the frame or fork and then
    which the bolt which holds the brake is thus screwed into."
    John

  11. Quoted message said:

    Jeff
    Aman doesn't need a braze on type, he just needs the much ez'er to
    install screw on kind.
    Aman wrote:
    "I mean the thing that screws into the frame or fork and then
    which the bolt which holds the brake is thus screwed into."
    John

    Precisely my point. A framebuilder is far more likely to have these or
    know where to get them than the run-of-the-mill bicycle shop.

    Come to think of it... Aman, does it look like one of these?
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1171
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1173
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1174

    Jeff

  12. YES, It looks just like one of those, see URLs at the bottom
    of this message.

    THANKS, Aman

    On 9 Jan 2005 said:


    Quoted message said:

    Jeff
    Aman doesn't need a braze on type, he just needs the much ez'er to
    install screw on kind.
    Aman wrote:
    "I mean the thing that screws into the frame or fork and then
    which the bolt which holds the brake is thus screwed into."
    John

    Precisely my point. A framebuilder is far more likely to have these or
    know where to get them than the run-of-the-mill bicycle shop.

    Come to think of it... Aman, does it look like one of these?
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1171
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1173
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1174

    Jeff

  13. Aman said:

    YES, It looks just like one of those, see URLs at the bottom
    of this message.

    THANKS, Aman

    OK, now things get tricky- note that there's two different lengths and
    two different threads. You'll need to determine which you need.

    You didn't really think it was going to be *that* easy, did you? 8-)

    Jeff

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Come to think of it... Aman, does it look like one of these?
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1171
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1173
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FS1174

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.