I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.
Mountain Bikes · Public discussion
Where those guys that complain about flats
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Mountain Bikes
- Published
- 19 September 2006
- Last activity
- 23 September 2006
- Original author
- Email address hidden
- Posts
- 15
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 604
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Quoted message said:
I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I've only had one slow leak this summer. Of course now that I say that
I'll be jinxed. But it's been a good summer for (lack of) flats.Matt
-
Quoted message said:
I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I managed just the one on Sunday and as a group of 6 riders we managed
4 in about 6 hours of riding. Two of them were where the tube failed
around the valve.I think on average I get about 1 puncture every hundred miles.
Laters,
Marz
-
Marz said:
Quoted message said:
I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I managed just the one on Sunday and as a group of 6 riders we managed
4 in about 6 hours of riding. Two of them were where the tube failed
around the valve.I think on average I get about 1 puncture every hundred miles.
Laters,
Marz
That seems like a lot to me!
Matt
-
MattB said:
Marz said:
Quoted message said:
I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I managed just the one on Sunday and as a group of 6 riders we managed
4 in about 6 hours of riding. Two of them were where the tube failed
around the valve.I think on average I get about 1 puncture every hundred miles.
Laters,
Marz
That seems like a lot to me!
Matt
It is. Gary, Porter, Kevin and I rode a trail in the Mojave that is
notorious for giving flats up last December and we got zero.JD
-
JD said:
MattB said:
Marz said:
[email hidden] wrote:
>I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
>few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
>nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
>hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
>again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
>strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
>off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
>then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
>got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I managed just the one on Sunday and as a group of 6 riders we managed
4 in about 6 hours of riding. Two of them were where the tube failed
around the valve.I think on average I get about 1 puncture every hundred miles.
Laters,
Marz
That seems like a lot to me!
Matt
It is. Gary, Porter, Kevin and I rode a trail in the Mojave that is
notorious for giving flats up last December and we got zero.JD And you didn't go near any Barrel Catus. I spent some time last night patching those 3 tubes for spares. 2 out of 3 had more then one hole. These have been the 1st flats so for this year but winter isn't here yet.
-
MattB said:
Marz said:
Quoted message said:
I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I managed just the one on Sunday and as a group of 6 riders we managed
4 in about 6 hours of riding. Two of them were where the tube failed
around the valve.I think on average I get about 1 puncture every hundred miles.
Laters,
Marz
That seems like a lot to me!
Matt
Most the trails we ride are unmaintained tracks through the rain
forest. There's one root/creeper in particular that grows across the
trails, really thin tough thing with small sharp thorns which can
produce those sort of long slow punctures. Oh and one of the giant
ferns here has inch long needle thin spines that can go right through a
tyre, but that one is easy to see if it has fallen across the trail.
We also found that due to the heat here, tyres don't last very long, or
maybe it's the cheap tyres that are available. On our last ride two of
the tyres failed where the valve connects to the tube.When I ride I also carry three spares and a puncture repair kit, just
in case.laters,
marz
-
Marz said:
MattB said:
Marz said:
[email hidden] wrote:
>I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
>few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
>nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
>hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
>again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
>strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
>off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
>then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
>got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I managed just the one on Sunday and as a group of 6 riders we managed
4 in about 6 hours of riding. Two of them were where the tube failed
around the valve.I think on average I get about 1 puncture every hundred miles.
Laters,
Marz
That seems like a lot to me!
Matt
Most the trails we ride are unmaintained tracks through the rain
forest. There's one root/creeper in particular that grows across the
trails, really thin tough thing with small sharp thorns which can
produce those sort of long slow punctures. Oh and one of the giant
ferns here has inch long needle thin spines that can go right through a
tyre, but that one is easy to see if it has fallen across the trail.
We also found that due to the heat here, tyres don't last very long, or
maybe it's the cheap tyres that are available. On our last ride two of
the tyres failed where the valve connects to the tube.When I ride I also carry three spares and a puncture repair kit, just
in case.laters,
marz
Wow. I bet it's the quality of the tire (and thorns) rather than heat.
I'd bet the SoCal or SE Utah guys see temps at least as high as you do
on a regular basis.
Does Slime help with the thorns?
For me it's prickly pear that gives me slow leaks, but if I stay on the
trials there's only a little piece here or there that I have to avoid.Matt
-
MattB said:
For me it's prickly pear that gives me slow leaks, but if I stay on the
trials there's only a little piece here or there that I have to avoid.Matt
In Gunny?
--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws -
In the previous article said:
I've only had one slow leak this summer. Of course now that I say
that I'll be jinxed. But it's been a good summer for (lack of)
flats.I rode my old MTB for six years and never had a flat. Just lucky, I
guess. Then, one day, I was doing a slightly technical descent and I
tapped the brakes. BOOM! No, I didn't blow a tube -- I blew the
front RIM. It had worn so much that it weakened to the point where
the tire pressure blew out two strips of metal on the rim -- and they
were *sharp*, too!I couldn't get them off well enough to make the wheel even roll
without destroying the V-brake, so I had to carry the bike on my
shoulder about four miles to the trailhead. It was such a cool mishap
that I actually didn't mind much. Plus I got a new set of (much
better) wheels that next weekend.The tire (WTB Velociraptor) was perfectly OK and I rode with that same
set another two years.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___🙂=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
\ / [email hidden]|to deny under oath that I ever made it. -T. Lehrer
***~~~~----------------------------------------------------------------------- -
Ride-A-Lot said:
MattB said:
For me it's prickly pear that gives me slow leaks, but if I stay on
the trials there's only a little piece here or there that I have to
avoid.Matt
In Gunny?
Yeah. Hartman's (and anywhere else around here that's sage covered) is
full of it:
<http://tinyurl.com/phet2>Every now and then a piece gets broken off by a cow and kicked into the
trail. Those are the ones you really have to watch for even if you can
keep from going off trail.Matt
-
"JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
MattB said:
Marz said:
[email hidden] wrote:
>I'm talking about the ones with maybe a flat or two a week. Or maybe a
>few in in weeks. Well heres my 3 flats in one day. 1st one checked tire
>nothing found. Changed tube and on my way again. Second one about an
>hour later pulled a pricker out of tire changed tube and off I go
>again. 3rd one about about 30 minutes later. This time I pulled a
>strand of brake or shifter cable out of the tire. Changed the tube and
>off I went. And by the way those Topeak Mega Blasters pumps are better
>then those mini pumps. Specially with all those flats in one day. Now I
>got a lot of tubes to patch for spares. Flat time in Indian Summer.I managed just the one on Sunday and as a group of 6 riders we managed
4 in about 6 hours of riding. Two of them were where the tube failed
around the valve.I think on average I get about 1 puncture every hundred miles.
Laters,
Marz
That seems like a lot to me!
Matt
It is. Gary, Porter, Kevin and I rode a trail in the Mojave that is
notorious for giving flats up last December and we got zero.JD
but yet every time I ride my ss I get a pinch flat on the ass end.......
Gary (suspension wuss)
-
Ride-A-Lot said:
MattB said:
For me it's prickly pear that gives me slow leaks, but if I stay on the
trials there's only a little piece here or there that I have to avoid.Matt
In Gunny?
It's called "Gunnison", you yankee touron.
JD
-
"JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Ride-A-Lot said:
MattB said:
For me it's prickly pear that gives me slow leaks, but if I stay on the
trials there's only a little piece here or there that I have to avoid.Matt
In Gunny?
It's called "Gunnison", you yankee touron.
JD
Yeah.... when you say "Gunny" some folks instinctively
look..................... I was thinking.... In what?Ha.
Marty
-
Four of us went to Sedona in April. We were told that it would be a very
good idea to use Slime, so we filled our tubes with the stuff. On the first
day, we had two flats that were pinholes; Slime did not seal at all. When
the tubes were pulled out, we watched the Slime bubble out. Came back home
and had another pinhole that Slime wouldn't seal. In my opinion, it is
[censored]. You can mix Mold Builder with water, and it will actually work. But
the best is to use Stans sealant as it seals quickly and thoroughly."MattB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Does Slime help with the thorns?
Matt
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.