Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Where can I get clamp on chainstay cable stops?

Started by Boyd Speerschne · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,204 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 April 2003
Last activity
16 April 2003
Original author
Boyd Speerschne
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,204
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

  2. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    Since you're re-painting anyway, why not remove the current stop and re-braze on the underside of
    the stay? Or is brazing out of the question?

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. "S. Anderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    Since you're re-painting anyway, why not remove the current stop and re-braze on the underside of
    the stay? Or is brazing out of the question?

    Cheers,

    Scott..

    a) I don't own a torch that I could melt brass with in order to braze it to the underside of the
    stay. All I have is a propaine torch that can be used to solder stuff. I don't think soldering
    the stop would be strong enough.
    b) The stop is all ready pretty rusted.
    c) I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum, so its pretty much DIY (ie., not outside help, execept
    for the repaint). Thanks,

    -Boyd S.

  4. Boyd Speerschneider <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    .....................Try www.loosescrews.com I saw a bunch of used ones in a junk box at the last
    Velo Swap,but of course,that does you no good.

  5. Boyd Speerschneider <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "S. Anderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    Since you're re-painting anyway, why not remove the current stop and re-braze on the underside
    of the stay? Or is brazing out of the question?

    Cheers,

    Scott..

    a) I don't own a torch that I could melt brass with in order to braze it to the underside of the
    stay. All I have is a propaine torch that can be used to solder stuff. I don't think soldering
    the stop would be strong enough.
    b) The stop is all ready pretty rusted.
    c) I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum, so its pretty much DIY (ie., not outside help,
    execept for the repaint). Thanks,

    -Boyd S.

    I'm not sure this will be much help but the bike I ride on my trainer has a clamp on cable stop. I'm
    not sure where you could find one however. That bike is a cheap old bike from the mid-80s.

    Tom

  6. Boyd Speerschneider said:

    Preferably ones that won't rust.

    Have you tried an LBS? There was a time in the late '70s when braze ons were out of fashion, and
    everything was clamped. I'm sure a shop that's been around a long time would have one around
    somewhere.

    I guess we can't talk you out of this. <g>

    Art Harris

  7. "J. Price" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email hidden]> wrote in


    message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    .....................Try www.loosescrews.com I saw a bunch


    of used

    Quoted message said:

    ones in a junk box at the last Velo Swap,but of


    course,that does you

    Quoted message said:

    no good.

    I used an old-style cable end with a hose clamp once. Worked fine -- the Shimano cable end fit
    perfectly inside the old-style, slightly larger one. The downside was no slot to slip the cable out
    for maintenance. As far as rust goes, stainless steel hose clamps are easy to find.

    Matt O.

  8. [email hidden] (J. Price) wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    .....................Try www.loosescrews.com I saw a bunch of used ones in a junk box at the last
    Velo Swap,but of course,that does you no good.

    Thanks a lot!!! I found a sweet Dura-Ace one for only a buck!!! Check it out:
    loosescrews.comindex.cgi
    d=single&c=Cable/Casing&sc=Clips/Stops&tc=Casing%20Stops&item_id=SH-6229117 &id=43273227432

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.