General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Where can I find Kimmelweck Rolls?

Started by John Doe · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,119 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 September 2007
Last activity
17 September 2007
Original author
John Doe
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,119
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line? I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!!

  2. John Doe said:

    Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line? I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!


    I had to google to see what they were. Oh, man those look good!

    Did you discover this website?
    http://www.geocities.com/libmary/buffwingsalad.html
    It has a recipe for

    KIMMELWECK ROLLS

    Ingedients:

    1/4 cup caraway seeds
    1/4 cup coarse salt
    2 envelopes active dry yeast
    5 cups (about) flour
    2 tsp. salt
    2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
    1/3 cup oil
    2/3 cup milk
    3/4 cup warm water

    2eggs

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Combine caraway seeds and coarse salt in a small bowl; mix well.
    Set aside.

    In a large mixer bowl, combine yeast,
    2 cups of the flour, salt, oil, milk and water.
    Mix well at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.

    Add eggs and beat another minute,
    adding as much flour as the mixer will take
    without dough becoming too heavy to mix.
    By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

    Turn onto a floured board with remainder of the flour.
    Knead until smooth and elastic.
    Place in large greased bowl, turning to grease top.
    Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
    Punch down and knead for 2 minutes on a floured board.

    To shape into rolls, cut dough into 24 pieces.
    Tuck edges of each piece under and shape into flat, round rolls.
    With a sharp kitchen knife, cut four evenly spaced,
    shallow arcs in each roll from the center to the edges,
    pressing at center with your thumb to make an indentation
    (the pinwheel pattern resembles a Kaiser roll).

    Sprinkle tops with the caraway-salt mixture.
    Transfer to baking sheets and cover.
    Let rise until doubled in bulk, or refrigerate overnight.

    To bake, place in a humid oven
    (arrange a heat-proof pan of water on oven bottom).
    Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until brown.
    Makes 2 dozen rolls.

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

  3. John Doe said:

    Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line? I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!!

    http://www.andersonscustard.com/mailorder.html

  4. John Doe said:

    Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line? I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!!

    One more:

    http://www.pumpernick.com/buffalo.html

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Doe said:

    Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line? I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!

    Did you try googling for "Kimmelweck Rolls" to see what turns up? I just
    did and I found several recipes. Since the recipe is fairly easy and the
    ingredients are inexpensive, you can probably make your own Kimmelweck
    Rolls if you can't find them online.

  6. Shawn Hirn said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Doe said:

    Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line? I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!

    Did you try googling for "Kimmelweck Rolls" to see what turns up? I just
    did and I found several recipes. Since the recipe is fairly easy and the
    ingredients are inexpensive, you can probably make your own Kimmelweck
    Rolls if you can't find them online.

    Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't buy rolls online.

    --Bryan

  7. John; here is what I do since I know it is a lost cause trying to find
    them here in southern IL: I buy the best bakery kaiser rolls that I can
    find; brush them with an egg wash, then sprinkle with some coarse salt
    and caraway seeds; heat in a 375 oven until hot. NOT the real deal but
    pretty darn close!
    Carol

    Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
    are here, we may as well dance!

  8. Bobo Bonobo® said:
    Shawn Hirn said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Doe said:

    Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line? I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!


    Did you try googling for "Kimmelweck Rolls" to see what turns up? I just
    did and I found several recipes. Since the recipe is fairly easy and the
    ingredients are inexpensive, you can probably make your own Kimmelweck
    Rolls if you can't find them online.

    Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't buy rolls online.

    --Bryan

    The store versions can be pretty lame too since so many places insist on
    packaging bread products in plastic bags.

  9. On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:08:41 -0400, Carol Garbo wrote
    (in article <[email hidden]>😉:

    Quoted message said:

    John; here is what I do since I know it is a lost cause trying to find
    them here in southern IL: I buy the best bakery kaiser rolls that I can
    find; brush them with an egg wash, then sprinkle with some coarse salt
    and caraway seeds; heat in a 375 oven until hot. NOT the real deal but
    pretty darn close!
    Carol

    Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
    are here, we may as well dance!

    Late last night I found this link,
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/BeefOnWeck.htm
    and am in the process of trying it out. Thanks for all the information and
    advice. My wife has never had it, and is excited to try. I just hope they
    come out as good as the "real thing".

    Thanks again for all the assistance!

  10. A quick search brought up this recipe:

    http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/bread/rollskimelweck01.html

    If price is no object, you can order the whole Beef on Weck package from the
    following:

    http://www.andersonscustard.com/mailorder.html

    If you don't want to order, but don't want to make your own, maybe you could
    approach the owner of a small local bakery and ask them to make a batch for
    you. Just a suggestion.

    Alyssa

    "John Doe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if there is a place to order Kimmelweck Rolls on-line?
    I've
    been looking and I haven't been able to find any place. I went back to
    Buffalo to visit family and had a "Beef on Weck" and had forgotten how
    good
    they are, and would like to make them here in Rhode Island. Any
    assistance
    would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!!

  11. On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:36:40 -0400, John Doe wrote
    (in article <[email hidden]>😉:

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:08:41 -0400, Carol Garbo wrote
    (in article <[email hidden]>😉:

    Quoted message said:

    John; here is what I do since I know it is a lost cause trying to find
    them here in southern IL: I buy the best bakery kaiser rolls that I can
    find; brush them with an egg wash, then sprinkle with some coarse salt
    and caraway seeds; heat in a 375 oven until hot. NOT the real deal but
    pretty darn close!
    Carol

    Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
    are here, we may as well dance!

    Late last night I found this link,
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/BeefOnWeck.htm
    and am in the process of trying it out. Thanks for all the information and
    advice. My wife has never had it, and is excited to try. I just hope they
    come out as good as the "real thing".

    Thanks again for all the assistance!

    Well, I made them last week using the linked recipe. I was skeptical, but to
    be honest, they were as good or better than they were in my last trip to
    Buffalo! I will definitely be making them again!

    John

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.