Road Cycling · Public discussion

When Close to Home is Close to Home

Started by Blair P. Houghton · · Last activity · 15 posts · 366 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 November 2004
Last activity
11 December 2004
Original author
Blair P. Houghton
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
366
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This happened about 200 yards from my front door:

    http://www.ahwatukee.com/afn/crime/articles/041112b.html

    You can see the spot in my homepage photo:

    http://blair.houghton.net/

    Pecos is the four-lane road with the wide median at the
    very bottom of the picture. The shrine is about midway
    between the two power-pole shadows that fall across it.

    I remember seeing the shrine (it's a hispanic thing;
    usually a cross and some plastic flowers, but it can be
    more elaborate) the day after it happened. I thought it
    was just another traffic accident. Then I read the story.

    It's now one of two shrines to cyclists killed within
    the confines of that photograph. The other is on the
    south side of the intersection of Liberty (the darker
    road with the center-turn lane) and 17th Street (the
    short north-south street on the left). It's for a 9-
    or 10-year-old boy, also riding in a bike lane, hit by a
    car 4 years ago. His family still maintains it.

    I ride past each of them four times when I'm doing my
    normal loop-ride, east on Liberty then west on Pecos.

    Anselmo's shrine is growing. Clearly a grandfather with a
    loving family. I was wondering if the local riders would
    add to it as well. Then on my third lap this morning I
    noticed someone had left him a water bottle.

    --Blair
    "Two wheels good."

  2. Blair P. Houghton said:

    This happened about 200 yards from my front door:

    http://www.ahwatukee.com/afn/crime/articles/041112b.html

    [Quoting from the linked article]
    If Cabanillas was impaired by drugs or alcohol, the case will go to the
    Maricopa County Attorney's Office for a decision on prosecution, said
    Morales.

    But if there was no impairment, "it could have been an instant of
    inattention. If that's the case then you're talking nothing more than a
    traffic violation," for failure to control his vehicle, Morales explained.
    [snip]

    *Traffic violation??*

    What was it Fred Flintstone used to say? Muss'n fuss'n brick-n-brack-n . .
    .. .

    Hey, Blair: keep us posted on this, will ya'?

  3. Blair P. Houghton said:

    This happened about 200 yards from my front door:

    http://www.ahwatukee.com/afn/crime/articles/041112b.html

    [Quoting from the linked article]
    If Cabanillas was impaired by drugs or alcohol, the case will go to the
    Maricopa County Attorney's Office for a decision on prosecution, said
    Morales.

    But if there was no impairment, "it could have been an instant of
    inattention. If that's the case then you're talking nothing more than a
    traffic violation," for failure to control his vehicle, Morales explained.
    [snip]

    *Traffic violation??*

    What was it Fred Flintstone used to say? Muss'n fuss'n brick-n-brack-n . .
    .. .

    Hey, Blair: keep us posted on this, will ya'?

  4. Blair P. Houghton said:


    It's now one of two shrines to cyclists killed within
    the confines of that photograph.

    Quoted message said:

    It's for a 9-or 10-year-old boy, also riding in a
    bike lane, hit by a car 4 years ago. His family still maintains it.

    I wonder what the odds are on two separate cyclist fatalities (out
    of 7,000-8,000 per decade in the USA) happening within sight of
    each other. I also wonder if it was in spite of or partly caused
    by the bike lane.

    Mitch.

  5. Wow.. [censored]..

    We recently got bike lanes in a major street, and the papers were FILLED
    with [censored] people that were against the lanes. Mainly because the rode
    went from 4 lanes to 2 because of the bike lane additions.. so the car
    people werent' happy. Whenever I ride on these bike lanes, I'm afraid
    someone in a car is going to get [censored] and take it out on me because
    they're stuck at a red light at 5:15PM.

    Mike

    "Blair P. Houghton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This happened about 200 yards from my front door:

    http://www.ahwatukee.com/afn/crime/articles/041112b.html

    You can see the spot in my homepage photo:

    http://blair.houghton.net/

    Pecos is the four-lane road with the wide median at the
    very bottom of the picture. The shrine is about midway
    between the two power-pole shadows that fall across it.

    I remember seeing the shrine (it's a hispanic thing;
    usually a cross and some plastic flowers, but it can be
    more elaborate) the day after it happened. I thought it
    was just another traffic accident. Then I read the story.

    It's now one of two shrines to cyclists killed within
    the confines of that photograph. The other is on the
    south side of the intersection of Liberty (the darker
    road with the center-turn lane) and 17th Street (the
    short north-south street on the left). It's for a 9-
    or 10-year-old boy, also riding in a bike lane, hit by a
    car 4 years ago. His family still maintains it.

    I ride past each of them four times when I'm doing my
    normal loop-ride, east on Liberty then west on Pecos.

    Anselmo's shrine is growing. Clearly a grandfather with a
    loving family. I was wondering if the local riders would
    add to it as well. Then on my third lap this morning I
    noticed someone had left him a water bottle.

    --Blair
    "Two wheels good."

  6. Here's some more about Donald Anselmo.

    This guy is so much like me (except the family part) it's scary:

    http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/1112AR-bikerZ14.html

    --Blair
    "The perfecting bike rider."

  7. Blair P. Houghton said:

    Here's some more about Donald Anselmo.

    This guy is so much like me (except the family part) it's


    scary:

    Quoted message said:



    http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/1112AR-bikerZ14.html

    Quoted message said:


    What does this mean: "Police say Anselmo seemed to be doing
    everything right. He was wearing a helmet and other
    protective gear and rode in the makeshift bike lane to the
    right of the main thoroughfare."

    "Makeshift bike lane" could mean a lot of things; it makes
    me curious.

    Yeah, he could be a lot of us.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    If you fall and break your leg, don't come running to me.

  8. Blair P. Houghton said:

    Here's some more about Donald Anselmo.

    This guy is so much like me (except the family part) it's


    scary:

    Quoted message said:



    http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/1112AR-bikerZ14.html

    Quoted message said:


    What does this mean: "Police say Anselmo seemed to be doing
    everything right. He was wearing a helmet and other
    protective gear and rode in the makeshift bike lane to the
    right of the main thoroughfare."

    "Makeshift bike lane" could mean a lot of things; it makes
    me curious.

    Yeah, he could be a lot of us.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    If you fall and break your leg, don't come running to me.

  9. Mike Kruger said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:

    Here's some more about Donald Anselmo.

    This guy is so much like me (except the family part) it's


    scary:

    Quoted message said:



    http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/1112AR-bikerZ14.html

    Quoted message said:


    What does this mean: "Police say Anselmo seemed to be doing
    everything right. He was wearing a helmet and other
    protective gear and rode in the makeshift bike lane to the
    right of the main thoroughfare."

    "Makeshift bike lane" could mean a lot of things; it makes
    me curious.

    I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but the "bike lanes" on either
    side of Pecos road are not properly-marked bike lanes. They are
    wide, paved shoulders on the outside of the line marking the
    outside road lane.

    There are signs every so often that show a car beside a
    cyclist and the words "Share the Road", but they are not
    "Bike Lane" signs; and the lanes carry no painted diamond
    markings.

    In Arizona, the rule for the road is "space makes lanes",
    and the lines painted on the road often mean nothing,
    legally (double-yellow lines, gore points, and bike/bus
    lanes being some of the codified exceptions).

    The law is clear however about giving bicyclists a 3-foot
    buffer no matter the situation.

    And when it talks about driving in a marked bike lane,
    it only specifies a penalty if there is a collision with
    a bike that causes an injury. But in this case, it's
    not a real bike lane, so that particular infraction would
    not apply.

    It's still illegal to run into things; they can get
    the driver for "failure to control speed," "unsafe lane
    change", things like that.

    Anselmo's widow wins some sort of latter-day saint award
    for hoping the kid's drug test comes back negative. I
    need to get me one of her.

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, he could be a lot of us.

    I did a few years contract work on Iridium, which was
    a Motorola space-systems group project (iirc, before it
    was officially space systems, but I'm not so sure about that).

    Somewhere along the line I may have passed Donald Anselmo
    in the hall or maybe even sat in one of the bigger meetings
    or a training class with him.

    I left off riding my bike many years ago and only recently
    got back on. Same as he did.

    And I'm kind of obsessive about logging my rides and
    somehow improving every time I put rubber to road.

    --Blair
    "20 years from now, if you read about
    another fatality in that same spot,
    listen for Twilight Zone music..."

  10. I am Don Anselmo's daughter. A lot of people heard about my dad being
    killed riding his bicycle on Pecos Road but most do not know how tragic
    the accident really was. I hope the bicyclists in this community are
    concerned. My dad was killed on a clear day at high noon on the
    straightest, flattest road in Phoenix. The first tire mark on the scene
    is the back wheel of my dad's bike in the middle of the bike lane where
    he was struck square from behind and then sent straight through the
    windshield. The driver tried to blame my dad for the accident but the
    police have already proven this impossible. The driver also admitted to
    smoking pot regularly but not that morning (just imagine what he could
    do under the influence). But it still doesn't matter to the police - as
    long as his blood is clean on that day, he will bare no responsibility.
    We still don't even have the truck's insurance information and the
    police don't seem to care and I'm sure that is against the law. The
    driver's mother also claims he has the mentality of a 14 year old - why
    would you let him drive? Anyway he'll be out there again.

    I'm asking the bicyclists in the area to put some pressure on the
    police to make sure this driver bares some responsibility. I know the
    case is still being reviewed and some attention and concern from other
    riders could help.

    Police report#042102018

  11. Quoted message said:

    I am Don Anselmo's daughter.

    I know of your father only through the posts and links here
    on this newsgroup, but he sounds like a man I would have
    liked to have known. I am sorry for your loss.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    Too many people spend money they haven't earned
    to buy things they don't want
    to impress people they don't like. -Will Rogers

  12. My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
    according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it is
    not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone as
    long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO penalty
    what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
    lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
    bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver for
    the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
    complain. Thanks

  13. Quoted message said:

    My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
    according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it is
    not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone as
    long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO penalty
    what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
    lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
    bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver for
    the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
    complain. Thanks

    I don't think I can add much to this, except for my own expression of
    sorrow, but it isn't illegal to drive on the shoulder? I thought the
    shoulder was for emergency stopping. If someone is driving there just
    to pass other cars, isn't that reckless driving? The article said
    nothing about traffic conditions at the time. Frankly, anything that
    would cause someone to drive on the shoulder is reckless driving. He
    was distracted by something, unless, as the article points out, he
    frequented the group opposing bicycles on the street. Then it could be
    murder.

  14. dgk said:
    Quoted message said:

    My point that should concern any bicyclist or pedestrian is that
    according to the Phoenix police investigating my father's death, it


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not against the law to drive down the shoulder lane and kill someone


    as

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    long as they are sober. I find that outrageous that there is NO


    penalty

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    what so ever. My dad was riding in the center of the shoulder (bike
    lane) on Pecos Road not in the car lane. I was hoping to stir up the
    bicyclist in Phoenix to demand some penalty for the guilty driver


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the good of all bike riders. Contact Ed Tuttle PPD 602-495-5862 to
    complain. Thanks

    I don't think I can add much to this, except for my own expression of
    sorrow, but it isn't illegal to drive on the shoulder? I thought the
    shoulder was for emergency stopping. If someone is driving there just
    to pass other cars, isn't that reckless driving? The article said
    nothing about traffic conditions at the time. Frankly, anything that
    would cause someone to drive on the shoulder is reckless driving. He
    was distracted by something, unless, as the article points out, he
    frequented the group opposing bicycles on the street. Then it could


    be

    Quoted message said:

    murder.

  15. Subject: Ride of Silence - December 18th

    As most of you know, a fellow cyclist, Don Anselmo, was recently killed
    on Pecos Road. In memory of Don we are going to hold a 'Ride of
    Silence' on Saturday, December 18th at 8:00am. The intent of this ride
    is to honor Don and other fallen cyclists and to promote the awareness
    of
    cycling safety. Mountain Park Community Church has allowed us to use
    their
    parking lot as a meeting place (24th St. and Pecos). We'll leave from
    Mountain
    Park Community Church at 8:00am and ride 1 loop of Pecos.
    The Ride of Silence is not a training ride and asks that
    cyclists ride no faster than 12mph and ride silent. To learn more about
    the
    national ride:
    <http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php>
    While the national ride is held during May, we are holding our ride in
    December due to the recent tragedy.

    Please pass this message onto other cyclists as all are welcome.
    Sincerely,

    Quoted message said:


    Jane Meneely
    (602) 431-6598

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.