Quoted post said:Originally posted by ItalianStallion
I have narrowed it down to the Shimano R540 and Bontrager select. This is all my budget will allow me (I am a poor student)
What do you reckon?
Is there any alternative to these two? i have looked at the Mavic Cosmos but they don't seem to be as good.
I'm currently switching between the Cosmos and the R540's. I use the Cosmos for climbing and training and the R540's for the really long rides over flat ground. I love having both wheelsets and using each for what it is best suited to.
Radially the 540's are very stiff and laterally they aren't bad. On plain old flat ground cruising, they rock. Where I notice the difference is climbing and sprinting. With only four pulling spokes, the R540 lacks torsional stiffness and I can feel the rear wheel wind and unwind like a clockspring. This leads to fatigue and will eventually snap spokes. It's subtle and if I weren't switching from one wheel to the other, sometimes within hours, I really wonder if I would notice it at all.
The Cosmos are a more comfortable wheelset. Radially they aren't quite as stiff, but they're laterally stronger on winding downhills. They're not as aerodynamically efficient, but there is less rim weight to haul up a hill. With fourteen pulling spokes as opposed to four, I never feel the clockspring effect either.
Either wheelset is a good buy depending on how it will be used.
Bri