Holden at [email hidden] wrote on 12/24/04 8:32 AM:
Quoted message said:I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano components.
I have threadless headsets.
I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
unnecessary or inferior tools.
What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
in the drivetrain.
Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?
Park tools work well, and their website has a good reference on tool needs
for specific jobs.
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/toollists.shtml
"...most maintenance jobs" could mean a lot of different things depending
upon your needs. But, you'll need these definitely...
- Standard metric hex wrench set with a bondhaus end (rounded)
- 3 Way hex wrench (keeps the most common sizes together)
- Good quality chain tool
- Cone wrenches
- 8/10, 9/11 open & closed ended wrenches (the Park ones are nice & narrow)
- Pedal wrench
I also find cable cutters to be indispensible, because wire cutters will
make a mash out of the woven brake and cable ends.
Bottom bracket tools are helpful, when you want to mess with that - you'll
probably need a crank puller and the appropriate BB tool for
removal/adjustment. Plus, you'll need a ratchet handle for the BB tool, if
you don't have one.
A box, bag or wrap to keep your bike tools away from other tools (or curious
little hands).
YMMV, but that should get you started.
Oh, be careful putting that Kestrel in the stand - nothing sounds worse than
crunched carbon...clamp the seatpost, not the seat tube.
-- Jim
--
CycloFiend