mises said:Until you are fit enough to start burning a lot of calories you should pretty much ignore all the powerbar, gel pack, et al fueling recommendations. You will just wind up fatter than when you started.
And unless you are a pro where a fraction of a % can make a meaningful difference the specialized supplemented stuff during a ride just costs you more money for no benefit. I have done long hard rides on non fat fig newtons, sweet tea, apple juice, candy bars, coke, sweet [censored], hot tamale candy, and PB&J sandwiches to name a few. PB&J is not the greatest since it's fairly low carb but most any carb rich thing that you can keep down without diffculty will work quite well.
This is most likely true. I do, however take a gel pack or two with me on most rides, just in case I bonk. I rarely open one and use it. Just emergency food. I also like to take Nature Valley Fruit and Nut bars with me. I get them at Sams Club or costco for $6 per 32 (vs 2.50 for 6)
As for after the ride, I like to go for a mix of simple and complex carbs. To me, nothing is better than a Peanut butterm, Banana and Honey Sandwitch on GOOD whole wheat bread. I also like having a bowl of Cheerio's with lots of fruit and soy milk (lactose and I don't always get along). Yum....
And what ever you take with you on your rides, don't throw the wrapers on the road. You don't know how many of those things I see while out on the bike. Haleakala National Park was about the worst..