Road Cycling · Public discussion

What the hell happened to our newsgroup?

Started by joekhul · · Last activity · 21 posts · 1,391 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 April 2008
Last activity
7 May 2008
Original author
joekhul
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,391
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

  2. On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:40:43 -0700 (PDT), joekhul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It might
    spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about it.

    The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming primarily
    from Google Groups users.
    --
    zk

  3. Zoot Katz said:

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:40:43 -0700 (PDT), joekhul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It might
    spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about it.

    The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming primarily
    from Google Groups users.

    On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most days
    only 1 or 2.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  4. Tom Sherman said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:40:43 -0700 (PDT), joekhul
    <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It
    might
    spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about
    it.

    The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming
    primarily
    from Google Groups users.

    On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most
    days only 1 or 2.

    I'm accessing through SBC (nowAT&T) and in the past few weeks I've
    gone from very few spam threads to being innundated.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    "You have to be careful if you are reckless." - Richard M. Daley

  5. ZBicyclist said:
    Tom Sherman said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:40:43 -0700 (PDT), joekhul
    <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    > This spam is the worst I've seen.
    >
    > It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    My news server has a spam hippo with a voracious appetite. It
    might
    spit out a few watches or shoes after grazing but that's about
    it.

    The spam complaints I see voiced on the group are coming
    primarily
    from Google Groups users.

    On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most
    days only 1 or 2.

    I'm accessing through SBC (nowAT&T) and in the past few weeks I've
    gone from very few spam threads to being innundated.

    Same here. I finally had to killfile Google Groups (minus a select
    whitelist) to manage it.

    --

    Kristian Zoerhoff
    [email hidden]

  6. "Kristian M Zoerhoff" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2008-04-24, ZBicyclist <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Same here. I finally had to killfile Google Groups (minus a select
    whitelist) to manage it.

    --

    Kristian Zoerhoff
    [email hidden]


    As usual. KMZ has it right. I am notoriously cheap and lazy, so I use
    Comcast/AT&T (my ISP) for my news server at home, using OE for the
    interface. FF is better, but I don't like clicking so many times to killfile
    stuff.

    At work, I use a free browse-only news server (text-groups only), with IE as
    the interface for GG. I prefer the OE interface (over IE) for browsing,
    because it is easier to see who is replying to whom. But if I want to post
    or reply, I need to switch over to IE/GG.

    Certainly not an elegant system, but not bad once you get used to it.

    IT Guy J.

  7. Jay Bollyn said:

    "Kristian M Zoerhoff" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2008-04-24, ZBicyclist <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Same here. I finally had to killfile Google Groups (minus a select
    whitelist) to manage it.


    As usual. KMZ has it right. I am notoriously cheap and lazy, so I use
    Comcast/AT&T (my ISP) for my news server at home, using OE for the
    interface. FF is better, but I don't like clicking so many times to killfile
    stuff.


    I use my no additional charge (bundled with rent) VDSL service, a free
    news server and free Thunderbird (Mozilla, not Gallo). I am cheap.

    Quoted message said:

    At work, I use a free browse-only news server (text-groups only), with IE as
    the interface for GG. I prefer the OE interface (over IE) for browsing,
    because it is easier to see who is replying to whom. But if I want to post
    or reply, I need to switch over to IE/GG.

    Certainly not an elegant system, but not bad once you get used to it.


    Google Groups is useless because they suspend your posting privileges
    for several hours if you send more than a couple of dozen posts, which
    makes it hard to participate in flame wars.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  8. ZBicyclist said:
    Tom Sherman said:


    On a bad day, I may see 10 or so commercial spam threads, but most
    days only 1 or 2.

    I'm accessing through SBC (nowAT&T) and in the past few weeks I've
    gone from very few spam threads to being innundated.

    I'm also with ATT/SBC/Yahoo and see the same thing. Since my
    newsreader is Agent it's pretty simple to sort on author, select the
    blocks of spam, and delete them. I'm now doing this before resorting
    into threads every time I "rn".

    --
    jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

  9. joekhul said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    Abuse?? I LOVE watches and sneakers!

  10. landotter said:
    joekhul said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    Quoted message said:

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    Abuse?? I LOVE watches and sneakers!


    I bought a bunch of those watches. I am going to send them to R.B.*
    regulars for Xmas.

    J.

  11. joekhul said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    I'm an internet bar user so I'm basically stuck with google groups and
    I've basially given up trying to dig the good stuff out from under the
    spam. Posted a recent mass chaos and confusion article here for old
    times sake but I can't barely stand to try to read the group which is
    a shame cause I remember there being good stuff in here.

  12. Quoted message said:
    joekhul said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    I'm an internet bar user so I'm basically stuck with google groups and
    I've basially given up trying to dig the good stuff out from under the
    spam. Posted a recent mass chaos and confusion article here for old
    times sake but I can't barely stand to try to read the group which is
    a shame cause I remember there being good stuff in here.

    I feel sorry for Marion and other legitimate posters who have to use GG.
    I'd be frustrated too. With a news agent and a fairly decent news
    reader, you can keep from seeing most of the garbage posts and spam. It
    is not just rbm that is getting hit. I look at a couple others. It
    seems like every group I look at has spam and its share of mutts who
    post garbage or other mutts who can't pass up replying to them. With a
    little regular maintenance on your filters, you can avoid most of it.

  13. catzz66 said:

    I feel sorry for Marion and other legitimate posters who have to use GG.
    I'd be frustrated too. With a news agent and a fairly decent news
    reader, you can keep from seeing most of the garbage posts and spam. It
    is not just rbm that is getting hit. I look at a couple others. It
    seems like every group I look at has spam and its share of mutts who
    post garbage or other mutts who can't pass up replying to them. With a
    little regular maintenance on your filters, you can avoid most of it.

    This wave of spam is at least blindingly obvious, the mutts are harder
    to avoid.

  14. joekhul said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.


    As all regulars know, I am the spam king. I am responsible for all
    Usenet spam, and all OT posts.

    I am also the Usenet Abuse Czar.

    And if you don't like my administrative decisions, I am also in charge
    of appeals.

    Emperor J.

  15. joekhul said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    I tried that nad go nowhere. I'm tired of ed dola, watch ads , shoe
    and and bag ads. After this posting I am permanently leaving for
    bikeforums.net.

    I will never again check the google bicycle groups

    ed

  16. "bktourer1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    On Apr 23, 5:40 pm, joekhul <[email hidden]> wrote:
    After this posting I am permanently leaving for
    bikeforums.net.

    I will never again check the google bicycle groups

    ed

    Quoted message said:



    Don't let the Usenet digital door hit you in your virtual a** on the way
    out.

    J.

  17. bktourer1 said:
    joekhul said:

    This spam is the worst I've seen.

    It may be fruitless -- but we need to report the abuse.

    I tried that nad go nowhere. I'm tired of ed dola, watch ads , shoe
    and and bag ads. After this posting I am permanently leaving for
    bikeforums.net.

    I will never again check the google bicycle groups


    Dude, this is Usenet, not Google Groups.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  18. On Apr 24, 6:13 am, Tom Sherman <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Google Groups is useless because they suspend your posting privileges
    for several hours if you send more than a couple of dozen posts, which
    makes it hard to participate in flame wars.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful


    You are right Tom;

    Anyone who wants to be very active in Usenet, needs a real news
    server, and a real news reader.

    J.

  19. catzz66 said:
    Quoted message said:


    I'm an internet bar user so I'm basically stuck with google groups and
    I've basially given up trying to dig the good stuff out from under the
    spam. Posted a recent mass chaos and confusion article here for old
    times sake but I can't barely stand to try to read the group which is
    a shame cause I remember there being good stuff in here.

    Quoted message said:

    I feel sorry for Marion and other legitimate posters who have to use GG.
    I'd be frustrated too. With a news agent and a fairly decent news
    reader, you can keep from seeing most of the garbage posts and spam. It
    is not just rbm that is getting hit. I look at a couple others. It
    seems like every group I look at has spam and its share of mutts who
    post garbage or other mutts who can't pass up replying to them. With a
    little regular maintenance on your filters, you can avoid most of it.

    I'm inclined to suggest something that has worked fairly well in other
    groups. How 'bout we begin the subject line of every legitimate thread
    with the letters RBM? That would distinguish the real stuff from the spam
    and crossposters. Anyone with a search feature could find it with
    relative ease.

    Bill

    __o | You never know what is enough
    _`\(,_ | until you know what is too much.
    (_)/ (_) | --William Blake

  20. Quoted message said:

    I'm inclined to suggest something that has worked fairly well in other
    groups. How 'bout we begin the subject line of every legitimate thread
    with the letters RBM? That would distinguish the real stuff from the spam
    and crossposters. Anyone with a search feature could find it with
    relative ease.

    Hate to be negative here, but it is too easy to fake a post that way. A
    great many of the mutts are sitting at their keyboards manually posting
    their junk. Filtering out the worst offenders and most common subjects
    takes a little regular maintenance, but it works pretty well for me.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.