General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What t do with Swiss Chard

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 27 posts · 915 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 July 2005
Last activity
25 July 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
915
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

  2. Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

    eat it?

    --

    saerah

    "It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

    aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

    "I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
    contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
    -König Prüß

  3. On Sat 23 Jul 2005 10:16:57p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

    Steam, butter and lemon juice.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
    Tested on: 7/23/2005 10:46:58 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

    I treat it like fresh spinach. ;-)

    Most often, steam it and serve it as a side dish with lemon butter.

    I've also chopped it up and added it to stir fry's.

    It's one of my favorite veggies!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

    Trim the ends of the stems, rinse and clean the leaves as required.

    Fold the leaves in half or thirds and do a kind of large chiffonade, cutting
    the leaves and stems into sideways strips.

    Put the strips into a large frying pan with a small amount of water. Cover
    and bring the water to a boil, let boil 30 seconds and turn off, toss the
    chard and let sit a little until almost tender.

    Toss the chard with vinagrette and chill. Eat very cold.

    Vinagrette:

    Wine vinegar
    Lemon juice
    Olive oil
    Salt

    Mix 1 part wine vinegar, 1/2 part lemon juice, and 2 parts olive oil with
    salt to taste. Toss with chard.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

    I feed it to my small parrot 🙂

    Jill

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Remove the stem and cook like fresh spinach. Nice if it's not old.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

  8. Melba's Jammin' wrote on 24 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Remove the stem and cook like fresh spinach. Nice if it's not old.

    I use it raw in salads and Cooked in soups.

    --
    It's not a question of where he grips it!
    It's a simple question of weight ratios!

    A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

  9. Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

    wash it, chop out the white ribs (the big ones).

    Chop it up roughly and saute with some garlic and EVOO and lemon
    juice. Then throw it into a greased baking dish, cover with grated
    yellow cheese or chopped feta (or a mixture). Pour over mixture of
    eggs +/- some milk or cream, bake and you have YUMMY crustless quiche
    (fritata?).

    It's better for you than spinach, cause it has the iron without the
    oxalic acid. Here is Australia it's often referred to as spinach-
    with spinach called "english spinach' or baby spinach.

    Hope

  10. Hope <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    It's better for you than spinach, cause it has the iron without the
    oxalic acid. Here is Australia it's often referred to as spinach-
    with spinach called "english spinach' or baby spinach.

    I've always called it silverbeet, but it certainly is often labelled
    spinach in fruit & veg shops. I think this newsgroup may have been the
    first place I heard the name swiss chard for it.I've used it in place of
    spinach in spanokopita (sp?), but mostly just have it steamed with lemon
    juice.

    Saw a bit of a cooking show on the TV on the weekend, though, and an
    Italian chef cooked it briefly in boiling water, then with some of the
    larger stems, sliced them through, sandwiched two slices with some
    fontina between them, coated them with breadcrumbs and deep fried them.
    Served them with a salad made of the leaves.

    The show mostly just has pieces from other shows, and has no website of
    its own. However, did a bit of a search and have found the recipe.

    http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/UKTVFoodpreview/recipes.newrecipe/ID/
    511717.shtml

    Something different to try with this vegie.

    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  11. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Collard Greens and Lentils
    (Recipe From Michel Richard)

    Total time: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours, 15 minutes simmering time,
    Servings: 6

    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    1/4 pound bacon, cut in thin strips
    1 pound collard greens or mixed collard and mustard greens, ribs
    removed, chopped
    2 cups chicken stock
    3/4 cup green Le Puy lentils or other lentils
    Salt and pepper
    Balsamic vinegar

    1. Heat the oven to 250 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch
    oven or ovenproof pot and sauté the onion over medium heat until it
    becomes translucent and begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the
    bacon and cook until it softens, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from
    the heat and remove any excess oil by patting the bacon and onion with
    a paper towel.

    2. Return the pot to the heat and add half the greens. This will fill
    the pot, but as you cook, stirring frequently, the leaves will wilt
    and shrink. When there is enough room, add the remaining greens and
    the chicken stock. Stir to mix evenly.

    3. Cover the pot and place it in the oven to cook until the greens are
    well stewed and deeply fragrant, about 1 1/2 hours.

    4. Add the lentils, stir, cover and return the pot to the oven until
    the lentils are tender but still a little chewy, about 40 to 45
    minutes.

    5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in 1 tablespoon of
    balsamic vinegar. Taste and add a little more vinegar if necessary.
    Serve immediately.

  12. Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    I braise it. Remove the center vein if it's big and tough and chop the
    chard up, then put it in a skillet with just a little olive oil and
    some chopped/pressed garlic. Saute until it wilts a bit, then add a
    little water, cover and steam until tender. Add a little salt and
    pepper to taste, and there you go. I've also done a chopped raisin and
    balsamic vinegar thing with it that was good.

    Regards,
    Tracy R.

  13. "Desert Rainbow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Collard Greens and Lentils
    (Recipe From Michel Richard)

    Total time: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours, 15 minutes simmering time,
    Servings: 6

    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    1/4 pound bacon, cut in thin strips
    1 pound collard greens or mixed collard and mustard greens, ribs
    removed, chopped
    2 cups chicken stock
    3/4 cup green Le Puy lentils or other lentils
    Salt and pepper
    Balsamic vinegar

    1. Heat the oven to 250 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch
    oven or ovenproof pot and sauté the onion over medium heat until it
    becomes translucent and begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the
    bacon and cook until it softens, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from
    the heat and remove any excess oil by patting the bacon and onion with
    a paper towel.

    2. Return the pot to the heat and add half the greens. This will fill
    the pot, but as you cook, stirring frequently, the leaves will wilt
    and shrink. When there is enough room, add the remaining greens and
    the chicken stock. Stir to mix evenly.

    3. Cover the pot and place it in the oven to cook until the greens are
    well stewed and deeply fragrant, about 1 1/2 hours.

    4. Add the lentils, stir, cover and return the pot to the oven until
    the lentils are tender but still a little chewy, about 40 to 45
    minutes.

    5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in 1 tablespoon of
    balsamic vinegar. Taste and add a little more vinegar if necessary.
    Serve immediately.

    When I have simply fried cabbage, if I have a leaf or two of chard, I have
    sometimes added a little bit of tchopped chard to liven it up in color and
    taste.
    Dee Dee

  14. Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Feed it to your pet rabbit. I tried that stuff a few months
    ago. It was disgusting.

  15. Dave Smith said:
    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Feed it to your pet rabbit. I tried that stuff a few months
    ago. It was disgusting.


    And such is how gormets (sp?) are born. Chard is wonderful, just simply
    steamed with a bit of fried meat and garlic. Oh well, different strokes..

    Quoted message said:
  16. Dave Smith said:
    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    I tried that stuff a few months ago. It was disgusting.

    What else to expect from someone whose taste is in their ass.

  17. Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty


    Cook it like spinach.

  18. Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty

    Remove the thick part of the stems and use elsewhere. Chop coarsely and
    saute in olive oil with some garlic. When it is almost done add cubed
    or sliced boiled potatoes and stir together well and serve. Chard is
    an excellent alternative to spinach in ravioli stuffing or malfatti.

    D.M.

  19. Chard enchiladas are a long-time favorite, but recently
    I usually use kale instead.

    Any of chard, kale, or spinach can be "wilted", which
    means they are sauteed for a bit, then vinegar is added,
    covered and steamed until reduced into a soft mass. (Or
    mess.)

    Then add to any cheese enchilada recipe. Or if you prefer
    a Japanese preparation, serve these greens chilled, dressed with rice
    vinegar and sesame oil and, if you like, dried bonito flakes.

    Steve

  20. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Someone gave me some Swiss Chard. What do I do with it?

    Thanks
    Marty


    Cook it like spinach.

    I've cooked spinach two different ways, but prefer the taste of #Two.
    One: After I wash it, I put abt. 2 tablespoons water into a pan and steam it
    in the pan (not in a steamer).
    Two: Since I've started buying thrice washed spinach, I do it this way. I
    fill a pan with water, get it to boiling, gather up what I consider to be
    one person's on-the-large-size serving of the spinach and put it into the
    boiling water, boil 2 minutes, then lift out with a handled-sieve (to drain)
    and put into a serving bowl. Add butter and/or vinegar if you wish. If I
    cook other portions, just get the same water to boiling again.

    I've read that vinegar added to spinach will keep the calcium in your body
    from binding; but kale will not bind calcium.
    Dee Dee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.