Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

What someone posted, that I think we all should answer

Started by Micheal Artindale · · Last activity · 33 posts · 1,859 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
19 March 2005
Last activity
26 March 2005
Original author
Micheal Artindale
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,859
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    What kind of bike do you ride?
    Currently a 5 yr old supercycle 21 speed. it is a POS, but gets me
    places most would have problems.

    What is your opinion of a single speed?
    You mean BMX? I would never use one for mountain biking.

    Where is your favorite trail?
    Hardwood Hills near Barrie ON, Canada

    How long is your average ride?
    Mountain biking? until I get tired (over 5 hrs and close to 100km)

    How long have you been riding?
    Since I was 5, seriously since I was 15. I am 24 now

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?
    Nope, havent had one that amazing.

    Who got you into riding?
    My parents. They got me a bike, and I have yet to stop. In fact I now
    bike over 15 km to work.

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Until I knew better, baggies. Now, I cant ride without lycra bike shorts.
    It hurts too much.

    And your answers are?

    Micheal

  2. Micheal Artindale said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it


    that was me, I guess I better put my $$ where my mouth is....

    Quoted message said:

    What kind of bike do you ride?


    King Kikapu, Kona>

    Quoted message said:


    What is your opinion of a single speed?


    I'd like to build my old Giant into one just to try it out.

    Quoted message said:


    Where is your favorite trail?

    lots.

    Quoted message said:


    How long is your average ride?


    2,5 hours, 12 miles or more. It varies a lot.

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?


    MTB, about 10 years, "serious" the last 5

    Quoted message said:


    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?


    lots

    Quoted message said:


    Who got you into riding?


    road, old college roomie. then I quit for a while. Hubby bought me a mtb a
    while ago.

    Quoted message said:


    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?

    depends on the day,the ride and the company

    Penny

  3. "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    What kind of bike do you ride?


    Steel Indy Fab Deluxe.

    Quoted message said:


    What is your opinion of a single speed?


    It's my next project.

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favorite trail?


    Any made of dirt.

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?


    Not long enough

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?


    Off & on, since I was a child.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?


    No.

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?


    I did.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?


    Lycra.

  4. Micheal Artindale said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    If you insist.

    Quoted message said:


    What kind of bike do you ride?
    Currently a 5 yr old supercycle 21 speed. it is a POS, but gets me
    places most would have problems.

    That depends on the terrain and how I feel. Ellsworth ID when the going
    is rough. Titus Racer-X when I want to *try* and keep up with the
    hammerheads. Crapandfail 1FG when I want to have fun! Oh, and an
    Ironhorse Team Victory for the road.

    Quoted message said:


    What is your opinion of a single speed?
    You mean BMX? I would never use one for mountain biking.

    See the crapandfail comment above. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

    Quoted message said:


    Where is your favorite trail?
    Hardwood Hills near Barrie ON, Canada

    I haven't found one I didn't like, but if I had to pick one out of my
    current catalog it would be the Two Elk Trail in Vail, Colorado. I'm a
    sucker for wildflower lined alpine meadows. I can't wait for Idaho!

    Quoted message said:


    How long is your average ride?
    Mountain biking? until I get tired (over 5 hrs and close to 100km)

    Sunday club rides are 18 miles on the average. There are a few 22+ now
    and then. Most are done in three hours and usually with stops to regroup.

    Quoted message said:


    How long have you been riding?
    Since I was 5, seriously since I was 15. I am 24 now

    I've been riding a bike since I was four. I've only been seriously into
    MTB for three years.

    Quoted message said:


    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?
    Nope, havent had one that amazing.

    All the time! I like reading others as well. It gives me some ideas
    for when I'm traveling.

    Quoted message said:


    Who got you into riding?
    My parents. They got me a bike, and I have yet to stop. In fact I now
    bike over 15 km to work.

    MTBing? I needed to get healthy and I wanted to have fun.

    Quoted message said:


    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Until I knew better, baggies. Now, I cant ride without lycra bike shorts.
    It hurts too much.

    I can't do the baggies. They always rub the hair off of my legs and
    cause irritation.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. Per Micheal Artindale:

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Until I knew better, baggies. Now, I cant ride without lycra bike shorts.
    It hurts too much.

    Same experience. Age-related, maybe?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  6. Quoted message said:

    What kind of bike do you ride?


    An i-drive, formerly a Turner dhr.

    Quoted message said:

    What is your opinion of a single speed?

    They blow!

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favorite trail?

    Earth

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?

    7.5 min., but I'm working on shortening that.

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?

    IIRC, 5 yrs.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?

    I'll take a 5th on that.

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?

    A good friend. After seeing him in GRS attire, there was no doubt about
    going off-road.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?

    See above.

    --
    Slack

  7. Micheal Artindale said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    What kind of bike do you ride?


    Trek Fuel 90 and an old steel Fisher. Depends on my mood

    Quoted message said:


    What is your opinion of a single speed?


    I can see the attraction, but I haven't done much of it.

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favorite trail?


    Too many to mention

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?


    Probably between 1.5 and 2 hours. Sometimes more. Distance varies with
    trail and my own motivation

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?


    Started road riding in high school ~25 years ago. Got my first MTB in 1995
    and haven't looked back. I'm starting to have roadie flashbacks every now
    and then, however, and I'm in the market for a skinny tire bike.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?


    Several. For those that haven't, they don't have to be long or epic.

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?


    No one really. I discovered it on my own.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?


    Lycra by far. I could care less how I look and lycra is far more functional
    on a bike than baggy shorts.

    Quoted message said:
  8. "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Per Micheal Artindale:

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Until I knew better, baggies. Now, I cant ride without lycra bike


    shorts.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It hurts too much.

    Same experience. Age-related, maybe?

    Depends, How old are you? I am 24, and last year, i asked about lycra
    shorts, and dont ever go back

  9. Micheal Artindale said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    What kind of bike do you ride?

    Close in local rides, the fully rigid steel singlespeed. Longer,
    tougher rides, the steel hardtail with a USE XCR seatpost & Z2. Out
    with my woman? The new styling, smilin, Tandem Cruiser. In the parks
    or at Beer Fests? A wonderful old beater cruiser 1sp with a big cushy
    seat.

    Quoted message said:

    What is your opinion of a single speed?
    Opinions are like belly buttons. If you don't ride one, your


    opinion don't mean [censored], jack or squat. But I love my singlespeed, and
    love riding it.

    Quoted message said:


    Where is your favorite trail?
    Amasaback, Moab, tied with Fisher/Williams betw Sun Valley and


    Stanley, Idaho, and Duck Lake to 20-Mile Creek near McCall, ID.

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?
    Average after work, or early a.m. ride is around 10 to 15 mi.

    How long have you been riding?
    About 12 yrs

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?
    1 or 2 now and then.

    Who got you into riding?
    I was really burned out on kickboxing, and two different friends


    talked me into trying mtnbiking. I gave Adam $300 to find me a bike.
    He delivered a used Bridgestone MB-5 to my door, with $40 change.
    Craig lifted my leg like he was inspecting a horse: "all dem karate
    mussles ain't gonna hep ya bit on da bike, CB." Painful learning
    curve, but it eventually took.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Good baggies most of the time, so long as they have the good tech


    features inside. I like pockets on my shorts.

    Quoted message said:


    And your answers are?

    above
    CDB

  10. What kind of bike do you ride?
    Just sold my 2001 FSR XC, getting a Kona Coiler as I feel the need
    for more suspension 🙂 Also have a Rock Lobster Team Tig hardtail with
    marzocchi forks and mostly deore bits.

    What is your opinion of a single speed?
    Great fun, want to build one up again as I miss having one.

    Where is your favorite trail?
    Hmmm, probably Bay ride

    How long is your average ride?
    About 4 hours

    How long have you been riding?
    Off road mountain biking for 8 years

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?
    Nope, but here is a mini one. Long ride, bonked (wasn't having a
    good day), missed last ferry home, had to ride 15-20 miles further to
    get home. Ate a can of cold spaghetti as only food available. Horrible
    ride but memerable 🙂

    Who got you into riding?
    My parents and me. We lived too far from anywhere with very little
    public transport so I had to cycle and I didn't like being restricted
    to the road so got a mountain bike. Even when I could drive I still
    prefered to ride. Same way now. 🙂

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Baggies but padded ones or I wear lycra underneath. I'm not mad.

  11. Per Micheal Artindale:

    Quoted message said:

    Depends, How old are you? I am 24, and last year, i ask

    I've got socks that are older than you are.

    I guess that takes care of my age-related theory....
    --
    PeteCresswell


  12. Quoted message said:


    What kind of bike do you ride? (Cannondale Scapel, Cannondale F600 , &


    Cannondale F300 mountain bikes).
    (Cannondale R2000 & Diamondback Touring bike for road riding)

    Quoted message said:

    What is your opinion of a single speed? (Not for me, need all the gears


    I can get)

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favorite trail? (still looking for it, along with single


    tracks, I enjoy the Rail-Trails, expecially the Katy in Missouri and the
    Mickleson in South Dakota)

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride? (about 12 miles for off-road, 30 miles


    on road, total about 4,000+ a year)

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding? (6 years)

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report? (No, mine aren't that


    interesting to others)

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding? (Doctor, gave me a choice "excerise" or die


    early)

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies? (baggies, fat old people should not


    wear lycra, IMO)

  13. Micheal Artindale said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    What kind of bike do you ride?

    XC - Intense Tracer
    DH - Intense M1
    Everything in between - Santa Cruz Bullit

    Quoted message said:

    What is your opinion of a single speed?


    I like my gears. But if y'all want to ride one go for it.

    Quoted message said:


    Where is your favorite trail?


    The one under my tires, especially if I've never ridden it before.

    Quoted message said:


    How long is your average ride?


    Probably only 10 miles, I've got to work on that.

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?


    MTB's since 1995.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?


    Yup. Several. Need to work on that too.

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?


    Me

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?


    Lycra, even under my DH gear.

    Quoted message said:

    And your answers are?

    When in doubt, "C" or "all of the above"

    Quoted message said:


    Micheal

    Michael

  14. What kind of bike do you ride?

    04 Norco Charger and a 03 Lemond Alpes De Huez

    What is your opinion of a single speed?

    Gear ratios are my friends

    Where is your favorite trail?

    lots in Kananskis country in Alberta

    How long is your average ride?

    Average? 20 minutes to 8hours

    How long have you been riding?

    Only about 24 years or so if you don't count my childhood.

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?

    both

  15. "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    What kind of bike do you ride?

    Kona Explosif hardtail 24sp, Marrzochi, Mavic, Panaracers, XT, rapidfire

    Quoted message said:


    What is your opinion of a single speed?


    You mean BMX? I would never use one for mountain biking.

    Don't know, sounds like hard work and fun mixed together.

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favorite trail?
    Hardwood Hills near Barrie ON, Canada

    Kolapore Uplands - East of Beaver Valley Ontario

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?
    Mountain biking? until I get tired (over 5 hrs and close to 100km)

    2-3 h

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?
    Since I was 5, seriously since I was 15. I am 24 now

    off road for 12 years

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?
    Nope, havent had one that amazing.

    ditto

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?
    My parents. They got me a bike, and I have yet to stop. In fact I now
    bike over 15 km to work.

    road riding in and around Toronto was (and is) too dangerous

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Until I knew better, baggies. Now, I cant ride without lycra bike
    shorts.
    It hurts too much.

    lycra only

    Quoted message said:

    And your answers are?

    Micheal

  16. Quoted message said:

    What kind of bike do you ride?


    Surly 1x1 rigid
    Specialized Epic occasionally
    Giant OCR1 (speed is good)

    Quoted message said:

    What is your opinion of a single speed?


    Don't let on how easy they are to ride.

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favourite trail?


    So many tracks, so little time...Mr Dart's answer was good, for me that's usually somewhere within a couple of hours drive from
    Sydney, Australia

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?


    2 hours

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?


    Since I was 5, a lot more in the last 4 years

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?


    Yes

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?


    Beats walking

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?


    Lycra

    Parbs

  17. What kind of bike do you ride?

    What Kind? A full suspension mountain bike, or a hardtail depending on
    too many things to mention. And a BMX but we won't go into that..

    What is your opinion of a single speed?
    live and let live, I might be more enthusiastic if I had access to
    large areas of flatter trails.

    Where is your favorite trail?
    Too many to choose, possibly the descent to Kentmere in the Lake
    District (UK). Most annoying is I can recall many great trails I have
    ridden but now forgotten the routes.

    How long is your average ride?
    Local - 1-2 hrs, otherwise 4-6 hours.

    How long have you been riding?
    MTB'ing for about 12 years.

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?
    Yep, but not many, Shaun puts it so much more eloquently if he comes
    out...

    Who got you into riding?
    Got interested, joined a new club, met a load of great people, had a
    blast even though we had [censored] bikes and didn't really know what we were
    doing. Many memorable rides which really should have ended in some form
    of mountain rescue :-)

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?
    Baggies with Lycra lining.

    Steve.

  18. "Micheal Artindale" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Someone posted this, and I feel we all should answer it

    What kind of bike do you ride?

    Alu hard tail - BASE jump frame, built up for heavy duty all round riding.
    Emphasis on *heavy* - ~36lb.

    Ancient rigid 7 speed 501 steel, slicks, no frills, commuter/beater.

    Alu Claude Butler XC-ish frame, needs building up, will probably go to a
    friend. Didn't much care for it when I rode it, wouldn't buy CB again.

    Quoted message said:

    What is your opinion of a single speed?

    If you like it, ride it. Rode SS for a while commuting - fun, simple - but
    can't anymore - knees and back are just way to FU.

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favorite trail?

    Wherever I'm having most fun riding at the time. Had some great times riding
    in The Lake District (Cumbria, England), maybe the best.

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?

    20 - 30 miles, or used to be! Not ridden much at all for a while now.

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?

    Rode without training wheels first time at age 4 - owned and ridden a bike
    of some sort ever since. Been riding MTB's for mebbe ~15 years or so, but
    used to ride my drop-bar road bike in the woods or otherwise off road before
    that - I loved it, wheels weren't too happy though...

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?

    Aye, a few!

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?

    Having the bike helped, the rest was down to me.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?

    Lycra for the most part.

    Quoted message said:

    And your answers are?

    Above ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  19. "spademan o---[) *" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?
    Yep, but not many, Shaun puts it so much more eloquently if he comes
    out...

    Heheh, cheers Steve! Getting to be one helluvah 'if' isn't it?

    Shaun aRe

  20. Quoted message said:

    What kind of bike do you ride?

    Giant Kronos with cruiser bars/stem

    Giant STP2

    GT Edge in blingy polished alu

    Quoted message said:

    What is your opinion of a single speed?

    Not bad with at least a bit of sus in the front.

    Quoted message said:

    Where is your favorite trail?

    Tom Brown Park, Tallahassee, FL

    Quoted message said:

    How long is your average ride?

    7 minutes... to class for about 90% of my riding time/year. 15-20 miles on
    the MTB trail when I have the chance.

    Quoted message said:

    How long have you been riding?

    Since I was 7, seriously for the last 2 years.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you **ever** posted a ride report?

    Coupla times, but you FL racists see "FL" and skip over it anyway 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Who got you into riding?

    Me. Running makes things go by too slow.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you prefer lycra or baggies?

    Neither. NAKED CRIT!!!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.