Road Cycling · Public discussion

what size fenders for 650B

Started by Luigi de Guzman · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,076 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 October 2007
Last activity
13 November 2007
Original author
Luigi de Guzman
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,076
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to put
    fenders on.

    What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a set of
    700C fenders?

    -Luigi

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  2. Luigi de Guzman said:

    Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to put
    fenders on.

    What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a set of
    700C fenders?


    Ja, in 45mm most likely.

  3. landotter said:
    Luigi de Guzman said:

    Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to put
    fenders on.

    Quoted message said:

    What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a set of
    700C fenders?

    Ja, in 45mm most likely.

    'Tis a shame to ruin a perfectly good set of fenders......

    ;-)

  4. Ozark Bicycle said:
    landotter said:
    Luigi de Guzman said:

    Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to put
    fenders on.

    Quoted message said:

    What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a set of
    700C fenders?

    Ja, in 45mm most likely.

    'Tis a shame to ruin a perfectly good set of fenders......

    650B is being used in the only excusable way in this instance--though
    it seems a bit crazy to go through all this effort with a frame that
    looks to be 4cm+ too large for the OP.

  5. Planet Bike Speedez 700c Touring work... However, they are quick on/
    off fenders (although with decent coverage); you might want to look at
    the Cascadias.

    Luigi de Guzman said:

    Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to put
    fenders on.

    What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a set of
    700C fenders?

    -Luigi

    --
    Luigi de Guzmanhttp://ouij.livejournal.com

  6. landotter said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:
    landotter said:

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to
    > put fenders on.

    > What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a
    > set of 700C fenders?

    Ja, in 45mm most likely.

    'Tis a shame to ruin a perfectly good set of fenders......


    650B is being used in the only excusable way in this instance--though it
    seems a bit crazy to go through all this effort with a frame that looks
    to be 4cm+ too large for the OP.

    It probably was crazy. But it works now, just about. I'm pretty pleased.

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  7. Luigi de Guzman said:

    Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to put
    fenders on.

    What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a set of
    700C fenders?

    -Luigi

    Let me know how everything with that bike works out. Seems like a
    really nice ride.

    \\paul
    [phobson
    at
    gatech
    ..edu]

  8. Luigi de Guzman said:
    landotter said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    On Oct 30, 8:04 am, landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > > Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to
    > > put fenders on.
    >
    > > What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a
    > > set of 700C fenders?
    >
    > Ja, in 45mm most likely.

    'Tis a shame to ruin a perfectly good set of fenders......


    650B is being used in the only excusable way in this instance--though it
    seems a bit crazy to go through all this effort with a frame that looks
    to be 4cm+ too large for the OP.

    It probably was crazy. But it works now, just about. I'm pretty pleased.

    Well, at least you didn't make it 650*A*, which is the wheelset I just
    finished building for my mother. She's attached to an old British
    roadster. I'm updating it with aluminum wheels so at least she can stop
    in the wet.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    The story includes this array of huge rhymes-with-hell machines, all running
    screensavers, the power and SAN cables neatly run between them... and the
    disused tape-storage closet stuffed with old Sun boxen still humming quietly
    away. - adb in ASR on rumours of a flawless SunOS to NT site cutover.

  9. Luigi de Guzman said:
    landotter said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    On Oct 30, 8:04 am, landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > > Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to
    > > put fenders on.
    >
    > > What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a
    > > set of 700C fenders?
    >
    > Ja, in 45mm most likely.

    'Tis a shame to ruin a perfectly good set of fenders......


    650B is being used in the only excusable way in this instance--though it
    seems a bit crazy to go through all this effort with a frame that looks
    to be 4cm+ too large for the OP.

    It probably was crazy. But it works now, just about. I'm pretty pleased.

    Well, at least you didn't make it 650*A*, which is the wheelset I just
    finished building for my mother. She's attached to an old British
    roadster. I'm updating it with aluminum wheels so at least she can stop
    in the wet.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    The story includes this array of huge rhymes-with-hell machines, all running
    screensavers, the power and SAN cables neatly run between them... and the
    disused tape-storage closet stuffed with old Sun boxen still humming quietly
    away. - adb in ASR on rumours of a flawless SunOS to NT site cutover.

  10. Dane Buson said:
    Luigi de Guzman said:
    landotter said:

    Ozark Bicycle wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 8:04 am, landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > > Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > > > Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to
    > > > put fenders on.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > > What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a
    > > > set of 700C fenders?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > Ja, in 45mm most likely.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > 'Tis a shame to ruin a perfectly good set of fenders......

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    650B is being used in the only excusable way in this instance--though it
    seems a bit crazy to go through all this effort with a frame that looks
    to be 4cm+ too large for the OP.

    Quoted message said:

    It probably was crazy. But it works now, just about. I'm pretty pleased.

    Well, at least you didn't make it 650*A*, which is the wheelset I just
    finished building for my mother. She's attached to an old British
    roadster. I'm updating it with aluminum wheels so at least she can stop
    in the wet.

    I put 700C on the 650 bike I build up a couple wheels for last year.
    With 28mm tires, clearances are tight. If it had been a nicer frame,
    I'd most definitely splashed out for 650A.

  11. Dane Buson said:
    Luigi de Guzman said:
    landotter said:

    Ozark Bicycle wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 8:04 am, landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > > Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > > > Having just converted my old Raleigh roadie to 650B, I'm looking to
    > > > put fenders on.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > > What size fenders do 650B converts tend to use? Do I just mount a
    > > > set of 700C fenders?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > Ja, in 45mm most likely.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > 'Tis a shame to ruin a perfectly good set of fenders......

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    650B is being used in the only excusable way in this instance--though it
    seems a bit crazy to go through all this effort with a frame that looks
    to be 4cm+ too large for the OP.

    Quoted message said:

    It probably was crazy. But it works now, just about. I'm pretty pleased.

    Well, at least you didn't make it 650*A*, which is the wheelset I just
    finished building for my mother. She's attached to an old British
    roadster. I'm updating it with aluminum wheels so at least she can stop
    in the wet.

    I put 700C on the 650 bike I build up a couple wheels for last year.
    With 28mm tires, clearances are tight. If it had been a nicer frame,
    I'd most definitely splashed out for 650A.

  12. Dane Buson said:

    Well, at least you didn't make it 650*A*, which is the wheelset I just
    finished building for my mother. She's attached to an old British
    roadster. I'm updating it with aluminum wheels so at least she can stop
    in the wet.

    Wow. You can get 650A rims in Al?

    There's something about old roadsters that newer bikes just can't
    replicate. Maybe it's the geometry?

    In my case, my new ride is amusing. It "feels" faster than my usual bike
    (the tourer). It's the steepest frame I've ever ridden--74 degrees,
    parallel, according to the old catalogue. Makes the otherwise-boring
    trip to the library whiz by.

    Hauling this back on-topic--I used my Vernier calipers and determined
    that I may have *just* enough clearance for 35mm fenders. The limiting
    factor seems to be the width of the chainstay bridge. I might be able to
    get a bit more space if I spaced the fender mount point a bit away from
    the chainstay bridge. What do you guys use for spacers in this
    application?

    --Luigi

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  13. Luigi de Guzman said:

    Wow. You can get 650A rims in Al?

    Yes. 36 and 40 hole.

    It's even easier to find those than to find a 40 hole 26" (559) rim.

    They're of the pattern used for caliper or cantilever brakes. Not the
    rod brakes type of roadster rim but I think those are mostly 28".

    Quoted message said:


    There's something about old roadsters that newer bikes just can't
    replicate. Maybe it's the geometry?

    In my case, my new ride is amusing. It "feels" faster than my usual bike
    (the tourer). It's the steepest frame I've ever ridden--74 degrees,
    parallel, according to the old catalogue. Makes the otherwise-boring
    trip to the library whiz by.


    Because of said availability of 650A - 40 hole rims, I want to put
    one on the back of my chopped aero-cruiser so I can use my SA- AG.
    I'll get a new 20" X 1.125" tire for the front. There looks to be
    enough room at the back for swapping out the 26" X 2.125" on there
    now. Skinnier tires will change the look and feel of the bike. It
    will be okay and better to have the fully functional Sturmey than the
    two-thirds operational Shimano on it now.

    Another frame just given to me as a "cruiser" actually turns out to
    be a hybrid. Dude thought because it has curved tubes and was set up
    for a coaster brake it had to be a cruiser.

    It sits too low on 26 " (559) wheels and has more upright angles than
    the cruiser frame. I've not got any spare 700C rims for wide tires
    but I do have a 27" rim laced to a coaster brake Sachs 3 spd. and a
    spare 27" front wheel. The pair of red Blumell's mudguards will
    probably look good on the white and blue frame. It looks like the
    front will work if I substitute a VeeBrake for the cantilever brake
    that's on there. A flipped and fully taped narrow North Road
    handlebar kicking around might finish the look.

    I just haven't yet gotten around to trying things out. Today I test
    rode the Scott Racing Pro MTB frame that had been the Xtracycle.
    Some of the parts off the 1985 Norco Sasquatch I'd been running as
    the joe-bike were used in its assembly. I added the SRAM 3X7 rear hub
    to the Nexus dyno-hub front. Its more upright seat tube and shorter
    top tube suits my riding style better than the more laid back longer
    cockpit on the Norco but there's still a few things to sort out.

    Quoted message said:

    Hauling this back on-topic--I used my Vernier calipers and determined
    that I may have *just* enough clearance for 35mm fenders. The limiting
    factor seems to be the width of the chainstay bridge. I might be able to
    get a bit more space if I spaced the fender mount point a bit away from
    the chainstay bridge. What do you guys use for spacers in this
    application?

    Try a rubber faucet washer. They come in shapes and various
    thicknesseses. You may have to enlarge the hole but it will neither
    rust, rattle nor scratch your paint..
    A sanding drum in an electric drill neatly modifies fenders.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.