"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:Hi,
Please may I ask your advice? What's the best device for
cleaning mountain bike chains? I'd like it to be cheap and
to work without me having to take the chain off.
Is the Finish Line Chain Cleaning Kit the best? And how
about the degreaser? Is it worth spending money on an
expensive de-greaser or will white spirit / washing-up
liquid to the job?
And does anyone have any cunning trade secrets they'd like
to give away regarding cleaning the rest of the chainset?
Or does everyone just use de-greaser and a tooth brush?
As has been said, use Google to get info on this. It has
been discussed to death, and there really is no point in
hashing it over yet again.
SMMB: Googling is not obligatory, but it certainly is a good
way to get a baseline set of data. From that data set, one
could then ask focused questions for clarity.
Back to topic: I also have had poor luck with citrus-based
solvents. They are good for degreasing clothes, or removing
glue residue, but not for chain cleaning. I use good ol'
paint thinner in a soda bottle. Put in the chain. Shake.
Pull the chain out and wipe. Let dirt settle out. Pour off
clear (no dirt particles) supernatant to a new bottle,
remove dirt from old bottle. Put chain in new bottle. Shake.
Rinse, lather, repeat until no dirt comes out of chain. Dry
thoroughly, such that NO solvent is left in the chain. Soak
in lightweight motor oil overnight. Pull out, let drain,
wipe down with solventy rag. Install, let sit, wipe it down
again. Ride for three minutes until it's dirty again.
After having seen at least one experiment in r.b.t., I think
the "wipe real good, re-oil, wipe real good again" is the
best method for chain lubrication. Skip the cleaning, and
replace the thing when it gets really filthy.
I run oil in the winter, drier lube (wax-based) in the
summer. Seems to work OK. Then again, whenever I pull the
chain for cleaning, I pull the cassette too. While I'm
waiting for some of the steps, I clean the chainrings and
jockey wheels.
But if you Googled, you might have got all that already.
--
Jonesy