General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What's ideal weight for soemone's hight?

Started by John E · · Last activity · 49 posts · 3,828 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 January 2005
Last activity
25 January 2005
Original author
John E
Posts
49
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,828
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 49
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi Folks,

    Typically, a standard formula calculates your ideal weight based on your
    height and age. I find the formula too broad.

    Example:

    Two 40 year old 5'10 men, one 170 LB and the other 195 LB.
    Both look in shape and not overweight at all. One lifts weights
    and the other never works out.

    If the 195 LB man uses the standard formula, he gets alarmed
    that he's about 25LB overweight. If he diets, he'd start losing
    muscle. The formula is 25 LB off here.

    So, how do you calculate your ideal weight based on your
    body structure and not a dumb formula?

    A muscular+fat man should lose less weight than just a fat man.

    How can I set my weight target if I do weight lifting while LCing
    to drop fat?

    I can be 25LB off. That's alot of off-ness , if I may.

    Thanks,

    J.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John E said:

    Hi Folks,

    Typically, a standard formula calculates your ideal weight based on your
    height and age. I find the formula too broad.

    Example:

    Two 40 year old 5'10 men, one 170 LB and the other 195 LB.
    Both look in shape and not overweight at all. One lifts weights
    and the other never works out.

    If the 195 LB man uses the standard formula, he gets alarmed
    that he's about 25LB overweight. If he diets, he'd start losing
    muscle. The formula is 25 LB off here.

    So, how do you calculate your ideal weight based on your
    body structure and not a dumb formula?

    A muscular+fat man should lose less weight than just a fat man.

    How can I set my weight target if I do weight lifting while LCing
    to drop fat?

    I can be 25LB off. That's alot of off-ness , if I may.

    Thanks,

    J.

    Maybe go by body fat percentage instead? And, your goal doesn't have to be
    set in stone, you can set a preliminary goal and readjust once you get
    closer.

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

  3. "John E" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    Typically, a standard formula calculates your ideal weight based on your
    height and age. I find the formula too broad.

    Example:

    Two 40 year old 5'10 men, one 170 LB and the other 195 LB.
    Both look in shape and not overweight at all. One lifts weights
    and the other never works out.

    If the 195 LB man uses the standard formula, he gets alarmed
    that he's about 25LB overweight. If he diets, he'd start losing
    muscle. The formula is 25 LB off here.

    So, how do you calculate your ideal weight based on your
    body structure and not a dumb formula?

    A muscular+fat man should lose less weight than just a fat man.

    How can I set my weight target if I do weight lifting while LCing
    to drop fat?

    I can be 25LB off. That's alot of off-ness , if I may.

    Thanks,

    J.

    Are you sure you're not looking for an excuse to set a higher weight goal?

    As a previous poster suggested, you might want to target body fat
    percentage. 15-18% body fat would be a good target for most adult males.
    You can get a reasonable estimate of your body fat percentage from this web
    site: http://www.he.net/%7Ezone/prothd2.html

    Using US averages, the 50th percentile for a 40-year old 5' 10" male is 185
    lbs. But, this weight is classified as "Marginally Overweight", or
    "Overweight" depending on which interpretation of Body Mass Index you use.

    Surveys of personal preferences indicate the "ideal" Body Mass Index* for
    men is around a Body Mass Index of 23.6. For a 5' 10" male, this correlates
    to a weight of 164.5 lbs. Interestingly, this weight also roughly
    corresponds to the "healthiest" Body Mass Index, as determined by a study of
    BMI vs. overall mortality (this study** of one million participants, found
    that "the nadir of the curve of body-mass index and mortality was at a
    body-mass index between 23.5 and 24.9 in men"😉 .

    * Note: Body Mass Index is not the same thing as Body Fat Percentage. Body
    Mass Index (BMI) is a number that relates weight to height. Body Fat
    Percentage is an estimate of the percentage of your body weight that is
    composed of fat cells.

    ** New England Journal of Medicine, Oct. '99, " Body-Mass Index and
    Mortality in a Prospective Cohort of U.S. Adults"
    http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/341/15/1097

    --
    GG
    http://www.WeightWare.com
    Your Weight and Health Diary

  4. 12% bodyfat.

    --
    You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

    "John E" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    Typically, a standard formula calculates your ideal weight based on your
    height and age. I find the formula too broad.

    Example:

    Two 40 year old 5'10 men, one 170 LB and the other 195 LB.
    Both look in shape and not overweight at all. One lifts weights
    and the other never works out.

    If the 195 LB man uses the standard formula, he gets alarmed
    that he's about 25LB overweight. If he diets, he'd start losing
    muscle. The formula is 25 LB off here.

    So, how do you calculate your ideal weight based on your
    body structure and not a dumb formula?

    A muscular+fat man should lose less weight than just a fat man.

    How can I set my weight target if I do weight lifting while LCing
    to drop fat?

    I can be 25LB off. That's alot of off-ness , if I may.

    Thanks,

    J.

  5. GaryG said:

    "John E" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    Typically, a standard formula calculates your ideal weight based on your
    height and age. I find the formula too broad.

    Example:

    Two 40 year old 5'10 men, one 170 LB and the other 195 LB.
    Both look in shape and not overweight at all. One lifts weights
    and the other never works out.

    If the 195 LB man uses the standard formula, he gets alarmed
    that he's about 25LB overweight. If he diets, he'd start losing
    muscle. The formula is 25 LB off here.

    So, how do you calculate your ideal weight based on your
    body structure and not a dumb formula?

    A muscular+fat man should lose less weight than just a fat man.

    How can I set my weight target if I do weight lifting while LCing
    to drop fat?

    I can be 25LB off. That's alot of off-ness , if I may.

    Thanks,

    J.

    Are you sure you're not looking for an excuse to set a higher weight
    goal?

    As a previous poster suggested, you might want to target body fat
    percentage. 15-18% body fat would be a good target for most adult males.
    You can get a reasonable estimate of your body fat percentage from this
    web
    site: http://www.he.net/%7Ezone/prothd2.html

    Using US averages, the 50th percentile for a 40-year old 5' 10" male is
    185
    lbs. But, this weight is classified as "Marginally Overweight", or
    "Overweight" depending on which interpretation of Body Mass Index you
    use.

    Surveys of personal preferences indicate the "ideal" Body Mass Index* for
    men is around a Body Mass Index of 23.6. For a 5' 10" male, this
    correlates
    to a weight of 164.5 lbs. Interestingly, this weight also roughly
    corresponds to the "healthiest" Body Mass Index, as determined by a
    study of
    BMI vs. overall mortality (this study** of one million participants,
    found
    that "the nadir of the curve of body-mass index and mortality was at a
    body-mass index between 23.5 and 24.9 in men"😉 .

    * Note: Body Mass Index is not the same thing as Body Fat Percentage.
    Body
    Mass Index (BMI) is a number that relates weight to height. Body Fat
    Percentage is an estimate of the percentage of your body weight that is
    composed of fat cells.

    ** New England Journal of Medicine, Oct. '99, " Body-Mass Index and
    Mortality in a Prospective Cohort of U.S. Adults"
    http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/341/15/1097

    But BMI is basically useless. Because I'm muscular, at the lowest weight
    I've ever weighed (where I was ripped enough to see the veins in my arms
    and individual muscles in my thighs), I was overweight by BMI. Go by
    bodyfat percentage.

    --
    Bob in CT

  6. "JC Der Koenig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    12% bodyfat.

    --


    I think that's a good objective for a man; probably quite a bit higher for a
    woman.

  7. There are tables for men and women and a discussion of the subject at:

    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

    "Anthony" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "JC Der Koenig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    12% bodyfat.

    --


    I think that's a good objective for a man; probably quite a bit higher for
    a woman.

  8. Carmen said:


    Hi,

    Bob M said:

    But BMI is basically useless. Because I'm muscular, at the lowest
    weight I've ever weighed (where I was ripped enough to see the veins
    in my
    arms and individual muscles in my thighs), I was overweight by BMI.
    Go
    by bodyfat percentage.

    Ahem. JPEGS please. ;-)

    Take care,
    Carmen

    When I was younger...;-). Unfortunately, multiple injuries (partially
    torn rotator cuff, biceps tendinitis, perineal tendon (sp?) -- ankle --
    injury, etc.) have limited me, even though I think I still have almost as
    much muscle, EXCEPT for upper body, where my shoulder injuries have
    hampered my development. My chest, for instance, is nowhere near what it
    used to be, but I'm as strong or stronger in leg strength (though, again,
    I have to worry about reinjuring my ankle). I will post pictures one of
    these days, though.

    --
    Bob in CT

  9. Hi,

    Bob M said:

    But BMI is basically useless. Because I'm muscular, at the lowest
    weight I've ever weighed (where I was ripped enough to see the veins
    in my
    arms and individual muscles in my thighs), I was overweight by BMI.
    Go
    by bodyfat percentage.

    Ahem. JPEGS please. ;-)

    Take care,
    Carmen
    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

  10. JC Der Koenig said:

    12% bodyfat.

    HEALTHY RANGE OF BODY FAT

    AGE (Years) Males Females
    18 - 39 21 - 32% 8 - 19%
    40 - 59 23 - 33% 11 - 21%
    60 - 79 24 - 35% 13 - 24%

  11. I like the three answers you already have, but in that context, may I
    suggest that your ideal weight cannot be projected. Your plan includes a
    variable amount of extra muscle from muscle building.

    May I suggest planning to lose weight to a BMI of around 25, and then
    getting a test of your body fat percentage. Then re-estimate your weight
    goal to shoot for the 12% body fat that JC cited.

    My HMO (Kaiser) has a test that uses an IR transducer to measure body fat
    percentage.

    Your stats are not in Robochallenge.

    "John E" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Folks,

    Typically, a standard formula calculates your ideal weight based on your
    height and age. I find the formula too broad.

    Example:

    Two 40 year old 5'10 men, one 170 LB and the other 195 LB.
    Both look in shape and not overweight at all. One lifts weights
    and the other never works out.

    If the 195 LB man uses the standard formula, he gets alarmed
    that he's about 25LB overweight. If he diets, he'd start losing
    muscle. The formula is 25 LB off here.

    So, how do you calculate your ideal weight based on your
    body structure and not a dumb formula?

    A muscular+fat man should lose less weight than just a fat man.

    How can I set my weight target if I do weight lifting while LCing
    to drop fat?

    I can be 25LB off. That's alot of off-ness , if I may.

    Thanks,

    J.

  12. Hi,
    On 20-Jan-2005, Ignoramus1606 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I have yet to see any table that is more senseless.

    At 33% bodyfat, the person is usually awfully out of shape and
    obese.

    And you say it is in the ideal range?

    First off, the male and female columns are clearly reversed.
    The Bunkster didn't proof it before he copied it.

    Take care,
    Carmen

    Quoted message said:


    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:09:08 -0800, Bunky42 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    JC Der Koenig said:

    12% bodyfat.

    HEALTHY RANGE OF BODY FAT

    AGE (Years) Males Females
    18 - 39 21 - 32% 8 - 19%
    40 - 59 23 - 33% 11 - 21%
    60 - 79 24 - 35% 13 - 24%

    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

  13. "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    First off, the male and female columns are clearly reversed.
    The Bunkster didn't proof it before he copied it.

    Take care,
    Carmen

    Still wouldn't make any sense if you reversed the male/female columns

  14. Hello,

    Bob M said:

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:04:50 GMT, Carmen <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Hi,

    Bob M said:

    But BMI is basically useless. Because I'm muscular, at the
    lowest weight I've ever weighed (where I was ripped enough to see
    the
    veins in my arms and individual muscles in my thighs), I was
    overweight by
    BMI. Go by bodyfat percentage.

    Ahem. JPEGS please. ;-)

    When I was younger...;-). Unfortunately, multiple injuries
    (partially torn rotator cuff, biceps tendinitis, perineal tendon
    (sp?) -- ankle
    -- injury, etc.) have limited me, even though I think I still have
    almost as much muscle, EXCEPT for upper body, where my shoulder
    injuries have
    hampered my development. My chest, for instance, is nowhere near
    what it used to be, but I'm as strong or stronger in leg strength
    (though,
    again, I have to worry about reinjuring my ankle). I will post
    pictures
    one of these days, though.

    That'd be nice. I was teasing in context, but I do like to have a
    face to go with longtime posters. I picture you as somewhat under
    average height, bulldog build and looking somewhat like Norm Abrams
    from the New Yankee Workshop. Why? I don't know, that's just what my
    brain supplied. :-)

    Take care,
    Carmen

    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

  15. Hello,

    Anthony said:

    "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    First off, the male and female columns are clearly reversed.
    The Bunkster didn't proof it before he copied it.


    Still wouldn't make any sense if you reversed the male/female
    columns

    That one doesn't differentiate as far as how desirable the part of the
    range a person exhibits personally is. This one does:
    http://adiet4health.com/nutribase/bfchart.htm

    Take care,
    Carmen
    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

  16. Hi again,
    The charts below take age into consideration as well as gender:
    http://www.musclemaster.net/body-fat-percentage.html

    Take care,
    Carmen
    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

  17. "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi again,
    The charts below take age into consideration as well as gender:
    http://www.musclemaster.net/body-fat-percentage.html

    Take care,
    Carmen
    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

    Hello,

    This link figures your body fat percentage by your measurements and then
    gives you an ideal weight to use as a guideline.

    http://www.he.net/~zone/prothd2.html

    Julie

  18. On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:19:10 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Carmen wrote:

    :: That'd be nice. I was teasing in context, but I do like to have a
    :: face to go with longtime posters. I picture you as somewhat under
    :: average height, bulldog build and looking somewhat like Norm Abrams
    :: from the New Yankee Workshop. Why? I don't know, that's just what
    :: my brain supplied. :-)

    That's a bit scary.....

    That is! (Although I like Norm, but I don't do Plaid.) I am about
    average height (5' 8"😉. Brown hair, brown eyes, clean shaven. Good sense
    of humor. Comfortable in tuxes or jeans. Hmmm...I think this is
    denigrating into a personal! (And, I actually hate getting dressed up,
    too.)

    --
    Bob in CT

  19. Carmen wrote:

    :: That'd be nice. I was teasing in context, but I do like to have a
    :: face to go with longtime posters. I picture you as somewhat under
    :: average height, bulldog build and looking somewhat like Norm Abrams
    :: from the New Yankee Workshop. Why? I don't know, that's just what
    :: my brain supplied. :-)

    That's a bit scary.....

  20. Hi,

    Roger Zoul said:

    Carmen wrote:

    :: That'd be nice. I was teasing in context, but I do like to have
    a
    :: face to go with longtime posters. I picture you as somewhat
    under
    :: average height, bulldog build and looking somewhat like Norm
    Abrams
    :: from the New Yankee Workshop. Why? I don't know, that's just
    what
    :: my brain supplied. :-)

    That's a bit scary.....

    Really? Why? Norm Abram(s) (?) is talented and useful and cute in a
    cheek-pinchable way. :-)

    Take care,
    Carmen

    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.