Road Cycling · Public discussion

What is good (for a woman)?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 24 posts · 544 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 May 2006
Last activity
4 June 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
544
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The local bike club has women, but not very many, and even less who are
    into doing the whole riding really fast thing.

    On an average evening at the beach there will only be me and one other
    woman who do the whole round trip to/from the train station. There is
    a long distance runner who likes cycling in the mornings, a woman who
    works for the bike shop, and a teenager.

    Only the five of us. Six if you count the one who only does mountain
    bikes.

    In the event of a race there may be other women signed up; wives,
    girlfriends, even the occasional other woman who found us by herself
    without being dragged into it by a male friend but we don't just beat
    them by seconds we beat them by minutes. Which makes me now understand
    why the bike shop owner pushed me so hard to sign up for my first race
    in April.

    At the 4km time trial on Saturday's province-wide race I not only
    passed the woman who started before me, I passed the woman who started
    before her.

    Double third place moving me up to overall 4th for Hainan.

    But, I don't really know how good I am, cause the only scale I really
    have to compare myself against are the racer boys... and the men who
    are really into racing include the guy with the 50,000rmb race bike and
    the guy who once scheduled a business trip to Australia based on the
    dates of an Ironman triathlon.

    What's good for a woman?

    -M

  2. Quoted message said:

    The local bike club has women, but not very many, and even less who are
    into doing the whole riding really fast thing.

    On an average evening at the beach there will only be me and one other
    woman who do the whole round trip to/from the train station. There is
    a long distance runner who likes cycling in the mornings, a woman who
    works for the bike shop, and a teenager.

    Only the five of us. Six if you count the one who only does mountain
    bikes.

    In the event of a race there may be other women signed up; wives,
    girlfriends, even the occasional other woman who found us by herself
    without being dragged into it by a male friend but we don't just beat
    them by seconds we beat them by minutes. Which makes me now understand
    why the bike shop owner pushed me so hard to sign up for my first race
    in April.

    At the 4km time trial on Saturday's province-wide race I not only
    passed the woman who started before me, I passed the woman who started
    before her.

    Double third place moving me up to overall 4th for Hainan.

    But, I don't really know how good I am, cause the only scale I really
    have to compare myself against are the racer boys... and the men who
    are really into racing include the guy with the 50,000rmb race bike and
    the guy who once scheduled a business trip to Australia based on the
    dates of an Ironman triathlon.

    What's good for a woman?

    -M

    It depends on age, and time devoted to the sport. Around here (Norway)
    the strong women who train a lot are as strong as the pretty strong
    men. They finish hilly centuries (165km) in 4:30, maybe 30 minutes
    down on the best men, but still way ahead of most of the men (and
    women). Similar gaps on time trials. I'd guess that if you are in the
    overall top 1/3 of any club race regardless of sex, your are very
    strong. That is to say that if you are faster than 2/3 of all the men
    who participate, unless all the men are super serious, there are
    probably a bunch of more hobby level men involved too.

    Have fun!

    Joseph

  3. I think that if you gave your average speed, perhaps for your 4K TT and
    also what kind of terrain you were on, it would be easier to evaluate
    your performance than trying to evaluate it by how many people you
    passed during the race.

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    *****

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What's good for a woman? <<

    I like to start with some compliments, some small talk, maybe a
    romantic dinner. Then if all goes well There will be something good
    (or even toe curling great) for a woman

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What's good for a woman? <<

    I like to start with some compliments, some small talk, maybe a
    romantic dinner. Then if all goes well There will be something good
    (or even toe curling great) for a woman

    I was going to suggest cooking and having babies, but was afraid that
    someone might take me seriously, so I didn't... ;-)

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  6. Quoted post said:

    What's good for a woman?

    Here's a link to a semi-formal Arizona TT series - you can get a
    fairly good idea of typical times for riders on a flat course by
    perusing the results...

    http://www.sonorancycling.com/downloads/aztt1_results.pdf

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  7. Mark Hickey said:
    Quoted post said:

    What's good for a woman?

    Here's a link to a semi-formal Arizona TT series - you can get a
    fairly good idea of typical times for riders on a flat course by
    perusing the results...

    http://www.sonorancycling.com/downloads/aztt1_results.pdf

    That's typical for 20km flat TT? I gotta move ;-)

    Joseph

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But, I don't really know how good I am, cause the only scale I really
    have to compare myself against are the racer boys... and the men who
    are really into racing include the guy with the 50,000rmb race bike and
    the guy who once scheduled a business trip to Australia based on the
    dates of an Ironman triathlon.

    What's good for a woman?

    -M

    It depends on age, and time devoted to the sport. Around here (Norway)
    the strong women who train a lot are as strong as the pretty strong
    men. They finish hilly centuries (165km) in 4:30, maybe 30 minutes
    down on the best men, but still way ahead of most of the men (and
    women). Similar gaps on time trials. I'd guess that if you are in the
    overall top 1/3 of any club race regardless of sex, your are very
    strong. That is to say that if you are faster than 2/3 of all the men
    who participate, unless all the men are super serious, there are
    probably a bunch of more hobby level men involved too.

    Have fun!

    The overall time results for Saturday's races haven't been posted yet,
    however...

    These days I normally do the 21km loop on the beach road in 42-45
    minutes (half tailwind, half headwind and fairly gentle rolling hills)
    but I've never done more than an hour at those kinds of speeds. The
    guy who I am closest to in speed (the day I did 41 minutes, he did 39)
    came in 8th in a field of 35 in the men's 27km.

    With Ah-Ling and Chunlei coming in ahead of me and maybe the three
    fastest guys in the senior's 13.5 being faster than me as well that
    would get me pretty close to being ahead of 2/3rds of the men in the
    27km.

    I know I'm faster than the guy who came in third in a field of maybe 50
    or 60 in the men's 13.5. Not gone riding much with the ones who came
    in first and second.

    -M

  9. Quoted message said:

    I think that if you gave your average speed, perhaps for your 4K TT and
    also what kind of terrain you were on, it would be easier to evaluate
    your performance than trying to evaluate it by how many people you
    passed during the race.

    4km in 7 minutes 47 seconds

    The start was a bit of flat followed by a gradual downhill, a sharp
    uphill, and another gradual down and a flat. The turnaround came at
    the flat right before the long stretch at holiday beach, so then it was
    flat, gradual up, sharp down, and gradual up. Tailwind on the way out,
    headwind on the way in.

    I very briefly topped 40kph with the tailwind and only went under 25kph
    at the turnaround and at the crest of the first hill on the way back
    in. The wind wasn't especially strong Saturday morning. When the wind
    is strong I've been able to coast to a complete stop on the sharp
    downhill,

    -M

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think that if you gave your average speed, perhaps for your 4K TT and
    also what kind of terrain you were on, it would be easier to evaluate
    your performance than trying to evaluate it by how many people you
    passed during the race.

    4km in 7 minutes 47 seconds

    The start was a bit of flat followed by a gradual downhill, a sharp
    uphill, and another gradual down and a flat. The turnaround came at
    the flat right before the long stretch at holiday beach, so then it was
    flat, gradual up, sharp down, and gradual up. Tailwind on the way out,
    headwind on the way in.

    I very briefly topped 40kph with the tailwind and only went under 25kph
    at the turnaround and at the crest of the first hill on the way back
    in. The wind wasn't especially strong Saturday morning. When the wind
    is strong I've been able to coast to a complete stop on the sharp
    downhill,

    4 km (unless it's a hill climb) is very short, and dosen't give a good
    picture. However, from the description of the course, it sounds like
    you are fast. Try to find a 20km flat TT and see how that goes.

    Joseph

  11. Mark Hickey said:
    Quoted post said:

    What's good for a woman?

    Here's a link to a semi-formal Arizona TT series - you can get a
    fairly good idea of typical times for riders on a flat course by
    perusing the results...

    http://www.sonorancycling.com/downloads/aztt1_results.pdf

    It's interesting to note the relative unimportance of age. The masters
    45+ group has the same time range as the Cat3's.

    Joseph

  12. Well, you could start by refraining from turning everything into a
    discussion of gender. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Men have
    trouble finding riding partners, too. Just ride the bike.

  13. Quoted message said:


    It's interesting to note the relative unimportance of age. The masters
    45+ group has the same time range as the Cat3's.

    Likely this is "apple and oranges" comparison.

    In NorCal the top 45's are all current or ex- Cat 1's, so that's the
    comparison that should be made. Likely this holds true in Arizona, also.

    Chris Neary
    [email hidden]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  14. Nice save, Mike!

    "Mark Hickey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted post said:

    What's good for a woman?

    Here's a link to a semi-formal Arizona TT series - you can get a
    fairly good idea of typical times for riders on a flat course by
    perusing the results...

    http://www.sonorancycling.com/downloads/aztt1_results.pdf

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  15. Hi, Marian, I tried to convert your 'Kilometrics' into English (since
    I'm in the good old USA) and what I came up with is an average speed of
    19.1mph and a top speed of 24.8mph.

    While this wouldn't win you an Olympic gold medal, it does sound like
    you are well above average and, if I were you, I would be quite proud
    and encouraged by my performance.

    Kind regards.

    Lewis.

    *****

  16. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think that if you gave your average speed, perhaps for your 4K TT and
    also what kind of terrain you were on, it would be easier to evaluate
    your performance than trying to evaluate it by how many people you
    passed during the race.

    4km in 7 minutes 47 seconds

    The start was a bit of flat followed by a gradual downhill, a sharp
    uphill, and another gradual down and a flat. The turnaround came at
    the flat right before the long stretch at holiday beach, so then it was
    flat, gradual up, sharp down, and gradual up. Tailwind on the way out,
    headwind on the way in.

    I very briefly topped 40kph with the tailwind and only went under 25kph
    at the turnaround and at the crest of the first hill on the way back
    in. The wind wasn't especially strong Saturday morning. When the wind
    is strong I've been able to coast to a complete stop on the sharp
    downhill,

    4 km (unless it's a hill climb) is very short, and dosen't give a good
    picture. However, from the description of the course, it sounds like
    you are fast. Try to find a 20km flat TT and see how that goes.

    Xixiu Beach to the train station turnoff back to Xixiu Beach. About
    20.5km

    Not flat but except for the hill near the start the hills are short and
    gentle.

    The one near the start is only a [censored] when it's the hill near the
    end and you're going down because you can see how it's this great big
    hill and you ought to be flying down it without having to pedal at all
    and instead there is this wind which has been there for the last half
    of the ride but which is now obviously there beacuse this beautiful
    downhill is something you have to work at moving on.

    Tailwind on the way out, headwind on the way in, and no one to draft

    42 minutes 10 seconds
    average heartrate 147bpm

    -M

  17. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > I think that if you gave your average speed, perhaps for your 4K TT and
    > also what kind of terrain you were on, it would be easier to evaluate
    > your performance than trying to evaluate it by how many people you
    > passed during the race.

    4km in 7 minutes 47 seconds

    The start was a bit of flat followed by a gradual downhill, a sharp
    uphill, and another gradual down and a flat. The turnaround came at
    the flat right before the long stretch at holiday beach, so then it was
    flat, gradual up, sharp down, and gradual up. Tailwind on the way out,
    headwind on the way in.

    I very briefly topped 40kph with the tailwind and only went under 25kph
    at the turnaround and at the crest of the first hill on the way back
    in. The wind wasn't especially strong Saturday morning. When the wind
    is strong I've been able to coast to a complete stop on the sharp
    downhill,

    4 km (unless it's a hill climb) is very short, and dosen't give a good
    picture. However, from the description of the course, it sounds like
    you are fast. Try to find a 20km flat TT and see how that goes.

    Xixiu Beach to the train station turnoff back to Xixiu Beach. About
    20.5km

    Not flat but except for the hill near the start the hills are short and
    gentle.

    The one near the start is only a [censored] when it's the hill near the
    end and you're going down because you can see how it's this great big
    hill and you ought to be flying down it without having to pedal at all
    and instead there is this wind which has been there for the last half
    of the ride but which is now obviously there beacuse this beautiful
    downhill is something you have to work at moving on.

    Tailwind on the way out, headwind on the way in, and no one to draft

    42 minutes 10 seconds
    average heartrate 147bpm

    Tailwinds and headwinds make it hard to assess. How old are you? Based
    on your 4km time, I am guessing your 147bpm average is low, indicating
    slower performance that you may be capable of.

    Joseph

  18. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Tailwind on the way out, headwind on the way in, and no one to draft

    42 minutes 10 seconds
    average heartrate 147bpm

    Tailwinds and headwinds make it hard to assess. How old are you?

    25.

    At 92kg my max heartrate is supposed to be 187 but I know that isn't
    true cause I hit 190 climbing Jianfengling Ridge. (Though I decided at
    the time that going over my theoretical max was a good time to get off
    the bike and push for a while.)

    Is it helped at all by the fact that exactly 1/2 of the time is
    tailwind, and exactly 1/2 is headwind? I hate crosswinds and rarely do
    the extra 6km from the turnoff to the train station back to the
    turnoff.

    Quoted message said:

    Based on your 4km time, I am guessing your 147bpm average is low,
    indicating slower performance that you may be capable of.

    Pretty low for evenings at the beach, but I was feeling rather lazy
    during the tailwind and wasn't helped by the ipod deciding to throw
    slow music at me.

    I've only had the hrm for a bit under a month but I try to spend as
    much time as possible over 160bpm. Cut more than ten minutes off my
    average time since getting it.

    Today I rode with the paceline past Mayflower Golf (2km), Holiday Beach
    (3km), the yacht club, the Sheraton (4km), the fishing villages (6km),
    and ocean world (7km) and the next set of fishing villages (9km)... it
    was amazing, I was part of this organic speeding thing that moved and
    flexed and whizzed and passed motorcycles (which is easy) and the
    occasional damn blue truck (still not hard) and the occasional car (not
    easy) ... ... ... and was reveling in how wonderful it was and how
    amazing it was and how oh my god had we almost hit the turnoff at _15_
    minutes ... at which point I got a flat.

    The last time I rode with them (right before the hrm) they dropped me
    just past the Sheraton. The first time I rode with them (just shy of a
    year ago) they dropped me shortly before Mayflower.

    -M

  19. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Tailwind on the way out, headwind on the way in, and no one to draft

    42 minutes 10 seconds
    average heartrate 147bpm

    Tailwinds and headwinds make it hard to assess. How old are you?

    25.

    At 92kg my max heartrate is supposed to be 187 but I know that isn't
    true cause I hit 190 climbing Jianfengling Ridge. (Though I decided at
    the time that going over my theoretical max was a good time to get off
    the bike and push for a while.)

    Is it helped at all by the fact that exactly 1/2 of the time is
    tailwind, and exactly 1/2 is headwind? I hate crosswinds and rarely do
    the extra 6km from the turnoff to the train station back to the
    turnoff.

    Quoted message said:

    Based on your 4km time, I am guessing your 147bpm average is low,
    indicating slower performance that you may be capable of.

    Pretty low for evenings at the beach, but I was feeling rather lazy
    during the tailwind and wasn't helped by the ipod deciding to throw
    slow music at me.

    I've only had the hrm for a bit under a month but I try to spend as
    much time as possible over 160bpm. Cut more than ten minutes off my
    average time since getting it.

    Today I rode with the paceline past Mayflower Golf (2km), Holiday Beach
    (3km), the yacht club, the Sheraton (4km), the fishing villages (6km),
    and ocean world (7km) and the next set of fishing villages (9km)... it
    was amazing, I was part of this organic speeding thing that moved and
    flexed and whizzed and passed motorcycles (which is easy) and the
    occasional damn blue truck (still not hard) and the occasional car (not
    easy) ... ... ... and was reveling in how wonderful it was and how
    amazing it was and how oh my god had we almost hit the turnoff at _15_
    minutes ... at which point I got a flat.

    The last time I rode with them (right before the hrm) they dropped me
    just past the Sheraton. The first time I rode with them (just shy of a
    year ago) they dropped me shortly before Mayflower.

    -M

  20. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What's good for a woman?


    It depends on age, and time devoted to the sport. Around here (Norway)
    the strong women who train a lot are as strong as the pretty strong
    men. They finish hilly centuries (165km) in 4:30, maybe 30 minutes
    down on the best men, but still way ahead of most of the men (and
    women). Similar gaps on time trials. I'd guess that if you are in the
    overall top 1/3 of any club race regardless of sex, your are very
    strong. That is to say that if you are faster than 2/3 of all the men
    who participate, unless all the men are super serious, there are
    probably a bunch of more hobby level men involved too.

    4km mixed (men's beginner, men's advanced, men's senior, women's)

    28th in a field of 49

    13.6 km mixed (men's beginner, men's senior, women's)
    18th in a field of 71

    men's advanced (27.2 km) had another 39 racers, two of whom finished in
    significantly more than twice my 13.6 km time.

    One could guesstimate 55 in a field of 110 ...

    The guy who volunteered to let me draft him the whole way (before
    finding out that they weren't going to let me participate in the 27.2
    on the grounds of not being male) came in 8th.

    Assuming, and this could be a big assumption, my consistent 2 minutes
    slower than him on 20km is 3 minutes slower on 27km I'd've come in 22nd
    in the advanced.

    -M

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.