Cycling Training · Public discussion

What is a 'hard' ride and what is not?

Started by tanggoman · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,164 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
17 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
tanggoman
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,164
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. To the experts here, how do you gauge if you had a hard ride or not?

    Do you base it on how long you have stayed on the 80-90% HRmax? Or you only can know the morning after the ride upon measuring the morning 'waking up' HR?

    Thanks

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by tanggoman
    To the experts here, how do you gauge if you had a hard ride or not?

    Do you base it on how long you have stayed on the 80-90% HRmax? Or you only can know the morning after the ride upon measuring the morning 'waking up' HR?

    Thanks

    I'm not an "expert", but I use 85% HRmax as my intensity point, and roughly track the time at and above that point. Also, like to know any time I spend at 95% and above. Morning HR doesn't seem to be reliable for me; it seems to vary based on non-training related issues.

    I've found from experience that if I spend an hour or more above 85%, I'll be tired the next day, and need a couple of recovery days of easy riding. I can breathe fine now at 85-90% max HR level, and the legs don't get sore anymore....just get an overall tiredness from hard training that demands recovery.

  3. I only feel like I've done a really hard ride when I've done a super fast group ride or race. Adrenalin gets your legs to do things they can't do when you're training on your own 😄

    In my opinion, you should know it if you've done a hard ride; your legs should be a bit sore after the ride, and sometimes the day after.

    Sometimes I plod along for a few weeks training alone, thinking I'm working hard because I'm at 90%, etc...then BANG, a fast group ride, and I really feel the difference.

  4. umm, all my rides are either hard/training or easy/recovery.
    it sounds like you do a lot of "medium" days, which is not good for improvement.

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by tanggoman
    To the experts here, how do you gauge if you had a hard ride or not?

    Do you base it on how long you have stayed on the 80-90% HRmax? Or you only can know the morning after the ride upon measuring the morning 'waking up' HR?

    Thanks

    I don't claim to be an expert but I have some experience and I think that using just a heart rate monitor can be extremely misleading. Use a power meter along with your heart rate monitor, and watch your level of perceived exertion and you should be able to get a more accurate depiction of how hard your workout really is.

  6. Get a good warmup also...make sure not to go out too hard on the warm up...keep telling yourself "slow, easy, slow,easy"

  7. 90-95%HRMax for more then 30minutes.

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by nutbag
    I only feel like I've done a really hard ride when I've done a super fast group ride or race. Adrenalin gets your legs to do things they can't do when you're training on your own 😄

    In my opinion, you should know it if you've done a hard ride; your legs should be a bit sore after the ride, and sometimes the day after.

    Sometimes I plod along for a few weeks training alone, thinking I'm working hard because I'm at 90%, etc...then BANG, a fast group ride, and I really feel the difference.

    Totally! Riding by yourself is a good way to get out and mash the pedals. Monitor your HR, blah blah blah, but if you want to put some pop in your legs, get out and do a group ride.

    Plus, it's a cool way to meet people!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.