UK and Europe · Public discussion

What frame size do I need for 6' 4" and 16 stone

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,185 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 March 2005
Last activity
4 March 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,185
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. yes im a big overweight [censored].

    is 26 inch too small ?

  2. [email hidden said:

    "]yes im a big overweight [censored].

    is 26 inch too small ?

    If you're over weight I'm definitely under tall (5'8", 15 stone, but I do play rugby :-) The frame size all depends on what type, if it's a compact frame, then 26in will be very large (an X cannondale T800 is 23 in, J 25 in). Even for an old fashioned frame 26in should be fine although it does depend on the top tube length, and the length or your torso wrt your inside leg.

    If your buying a complete bike, best thing to do, as ever, is get a test ride and some advice from LBS staff, if your just buying a frame, best let us know which one as soemone may well have one and be able to gvie you more information.

    Bryan

  3. For a road bike (racer) frame measured in the conventional way (centre to
    top), probably 62+ cm, although maybe you could get away with a 59 cm with
    a bit of luck and depending on leg length. But I agree with the advice
    about using the services of a bike shop.

    Visit Shorter Rochford in north Finchley if you happen to be in/near that
    area.

    ~PB

  4. Basic/old style mountain bike: 23" (centre of bottom bracket to top of
    frame's seat tube).

    ~PB

  5. Quoted message said:
    Jeremy Collins said:
    Quoted message said:

    yes im a big overweight [censored].

    is 26 inch too small ?

    26"? Have you got a URL to a 26" framed bike?

    I'm 6'3" (not overweight), and a 21" MTB frame is fine for me, but
    you really need to go to a bike shop and try some out. And you will
    not get a decent bike for under £100, and IMO that Barrcuda road
    bike looks like [censored], but I'm no road bike expert, preferring a
    hybrid at the moment.

    Perhaps you could combine your queries into one post?



    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7137859760&ssPageName=ADME:X:ON:UK:2

    Quoted message said:


    i think he meant 26 " wheels.

    what size is the frame ?

    I would guess at between 19 and 21"

  6. in message <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]

    (') said:

    yes im a big overweight [censored].

    is 26 inch too small ?

    26" is a bloody big frame. I used to ride a 26.5", but that was many
    years ago when fashions were quite different. My modern road bike has a
    24" frame. I'm 6'2" now, but that's since breaking my back. I used to
    be 6'3" and my legs are still the same length!

    A modern 26" would have an enormously long top tube and would probably
    fit someone about seven feet tall. However, a twenty year old 26" would
    be about right for someone 6'4".

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
    ;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
    ;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
    ;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

  7. I'm 6ft3 and my Dawes Galaxy touring frame at 25" is a touch big. If I
    was replacing it I'd get a 23/24". In mountain bikes a 21" fits me
    with the seat post at max height. Best to try some in a LBS.
    As far as weight goes I'm 15 stone and haven't had any problems with
    any 26" wheels or the 700c 36 spoke wheels on the Galaxy. I did crack a
    frame (aluminium) on a Ridgeback hybrid after 2/3 years use but
    Ridgeback replaced it no problem.
    Iain

  8. Hello,
    I'm 6'4" and currently ride a 27" wheel, 25 3/4" frame, 20 years
    old Dawes Galaxy. The trend seems to be XL = 60cm. I'm almost certainly
    going to get a 60cm Dawes Audax. I haven't ridden one yet though.

    Cheers

    Peter.

    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]

    (') said:

    yes im a big overweight [censored].

    is 26 inch too small ?

    26" is a bloody big frame. I used to ride a 26.5", but that was many
    years ago when fashions were quite different. My modern road bike has a
    24" frame. I'm 6'2" now, but that's since breaking my back. I used to
    be 6'3" and my legs are still the same length!

    A modern 26" would have an enormously long top tube and would probably
    fit someone about seven feet tall. However, a twenty year old 26" would
    be about right for someone 6'4".

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
    ;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
    ;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
    ;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.