UK and Europe · Public discussion

What does the S mean (Brooks saddles)

Started by Jim D · · Last activity · 16 posts · 832 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
16 November 2006
Last activity
18 November 2006
Original author
Jim D
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
832
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What does the "S" mean in Brooks saddle model numbers? I thought it
    indicated a lady's model, but now I see people advertising "
    'Men's Brooks Flyer S' or 'Men's Brooks B66 S' etc.

    Since I ride in an fairly upright position nearly all of the time, I'm
    thinking of buying one of the wider, sprung Brooks saddles. But "S" or
    not "S"... that is now the question...

    The other question is: single rail or twin rail. My bike has a
    traditional type seat post. It would probably makes sense to buy a
    micro-adjust seat post and get a Brooks saddle with single rails, do
    you agree? Then it'll weigh a lot less and have notchless saddle angle
    adjustment, yes?

    Thank you...

    Jim D

  2. Jim D said:

    What does the "S" mean in Brooks saddle model numbers? I thought it
    indicated a lady's model, but now I see people advertising "
    'Men's Brooks Flyer S' or 'Men's Brooks B66 S' etc.

    They are indeed supposed to be lady's models. "S" for short.

    Quoted message said:

    Since I ride in an fairly upright position nearly all of the time, I'm
    thinking of buying one of the wider, sprung Brooks saddles. But "S" or
    not "S"... that is now the question...

    Also "Champion" or not "Champion". B66 Champion is narrower than B66, for
    example.

    Then "Professional"... extra hard. Or "Special"... 'specially expensive.

    Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

    Quoted message said:

    The other question is: single rail or twin rail. My bike has a
    traditional type seat post. It would probably makes sense to buy a
    micro-adjust seat post and get a Brooks saddle with single rails, do
    you agree? Then it'll weigh a lot less and have notchless saddle angle
    adjustment, yes?

    A single rail will make life easier and may save some weight, but a twin
    rail can be used on a modern micro-adjust seat with one of these adapters:

    www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Combi-Alloy-Twin-rail-saddle-adaptor-for-Brooks-Twin-rail-saddles-830.htm

    or http://tinyurl.com/tsjj9

    Most of so-called micro-adjust seatposts aren't notchless though. They just
    have smaller notches than the old fashion type. Look for a seatpost with
    two bolts for true stepless adjustment.

    ~PB

  3. Correction: I meant "seatpost" instead of just "seat" here

    Quoted message said:

    A single rail will make life easier and may save some weight, but a
    twin rail can be used on a modern micro-adjust seat

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs said the following on 16/11/2006 23:28:

    Quoted message said:

    Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

    I wonder how many "real men" tried to buy that saddle :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  5. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:11:14 +0000, Paul Boyd

    usenet.dont.work@plusnet said:

    Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

    lol :-) ... there certainly seems to be a lot of "S" version saddles
    floating around (on eBay and such) and not so many "non-S" versions. I
    wonder why that is.

    Are the "S" saddles actually unsuitable for men, or is it just an
    aesthetic issue (that men feel stupid, sporting a woman's saddle)?
    Would a man find an "S" saddle less comfortable or less practical for
    male use in any way?

    Jim D

  6. In article <[email hidden]>

    Jim H said:

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:11:14 +0000, Paul Boyd

    usenet.dont.work@plusnet said:

    Ultimately... "Real Man"... www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

    lol :-) ... there certainly seems to be a lot of "S" version saddles
    floating around (on eBay and such) and not so many "non-S" versions. I
    wonder why that is.

    Are the "S" saddles actually unsuitable for men, or is it just an
    aesthetic issue (that men feel stupid, sporting a woman's saddle)?
    Would a man find an "S" saddle less comfortable or less practical for
    male use in any way?


    The only practical way to find out if you get on with a a saddle is to
    ride on it - in the case of a new leather saddle it could take a few
    hundred miles to break in properly. There's no sense choosing a saddle
    just by width and length, because the shape and resilience are also
    important factors. However - when you're riding hard do you slide
    forward to the nose of the saddle much? If so you may find that a
    shorter saddle restricts your style, otherwise it will probably be fine.
    I think the women's saddles were originally made shorter so it was
    easier to ride in a skirt.

  7. Pete Biggs said:

    A single rail will make life easier and may save some weight, but a twin
    rail can be used on a modern micro-adjust seat with one of these adapters:

    www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Combi-Alloy-Twin-rail-saddle-adaptor-for-Brooks-Twin-rail-saddles-830.htm

    That's good to know, thanks. Apart from the weight, is there any other
    advantage/disadvantage in the twin rail version? I vaguely recall
    hearing someone mention something, but I may be wrong. Perhaps one is
    stronger or something...

    Apart from eBay, can anyone recommend a good-value supplier for a
    Brooks B66, online?

    Thanks...

    Jim D

    Quoted message said:
  8. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:12:38 -0000, Rob Morley <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    However - when you're riding hard do you slide
    forward to the nose of the saddle much?

    I've never noticed that effect.

    Quoted message said:

    If so you may find that a
    shorter saddle restricts your style, otherwise it will probably be fine.
    I think the women's saddles were originally made shorter so it was
    easier to ride in a skirt.

    The other thing may be to do with the way that women stop. They
    typically hop down into the space between the saddle and the
    handlebars. Brooks & Co. probably assumes that most women wouldn't be
    happy with a 10" saddle horn poking them from behind...

    Jim D

  9. Jim D said the following on 17/11/2006 13:26:

    Quoted message said:

    I've never noticed that effect.

    I had, but never really thought much about it. I probably would if I
    had a shorter saddle!

    Quoted message said:

    The other thing may be to do with the way that women stop. They
    typically hop down into the space between the saddle and the
    handlebars. Brooks & Co. probably assumes that most women wouldn't be
    happy with a 10" saddle horn poking them from behind...

    I'm pretty sure that most men wouldn't be happy with a 10" saddle horn
    poking them from behind either :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  10. Rob Morley said:

    The only practical way to find out if you get on with a a saddle is to
    ride on it - in the case of a new leather saddle it could take a few
    hundred miles to break in properly.

    IME of Brooks saddles (I currently own and use 3 on different bikes)
    they will communicate a basic "rightness" (or not!) straight out of the
    box. The basic shape needs to be right to start with, so breaking in
    takes it from good to better rather than from agony to tolerable. The
    latter just isn't worth it, the former is not a problem.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. Peter Clinch said:
    Rob Morley said:

    The only practical way to find out if you get on with a a saddle is to
    ride on it - in the case of a new leather saddle it could take a few
    hundred miles to break in properly.

    IME of Brooks saddles (I currently own and use 3 on different bikes)
    they will communicate a basic "rightness" (or not!) straight out of the
    box. The basic shape needs to be right to start with, so breaking in
    takes it from good to better rather than from agony to tolerable. The
    latter just isn't worth it, the former is not a problem.

    Pete.

    Thanks for that. It would be great to be in a position where one could
    try out a few Brooks saddles before settling on one. Sadly, I'm not in
    such a position. I have the choice of ordering by mail order, with the
    option of returning it if not happy (my legal right), or paying a
    local shop a 50% deposit so they can ordr one for me. Are there any
    other (better) options I haven't considered?

    Cheers,

    Jim D

  12. Jim D said:

    Thanks for that. It would be great to be in a position where one could
    try out a few Brooks saddles before settling on one. Sadly, I'm not in
    such a position. I have the choice of ordering by mail order, with the
    option of returning it if not happy (my legal right), or paying a
    local shop a 50% deposit so they can ordr one for me. Are there any
    other (better) options I haven't considered?

    Do you know anyone with one? David Martin of this e-Parish became a
    happy customer of Brooks after borrowing my B17 for a few days.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  13. In article <[email hidden]>
    Jim D <[email hidden]> wrote:
    <snip>.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for that. It would be great to be in a position where one could
    try out a few Brooks saddles before settling on one. Sadly, I'm not in
    such a position. I have the choice of ordering by mail order, with the
    option of returning it if not happy (my legal right), or paying a
    local shop a 50% deposit so they can ordr one for me. Are there any
    other (better) options I haven't considered?


    Find a shop that has a selection in stock?

  14. "Jim D" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for that. It would be great to be in a position where one could
    try out a few Brooks saddles before settling on one. Sadly, I'm not in
    such a position.

    Where are you?

    cheers,
    clive

  15. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:32:15 -0000, Rob Morley <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Find a shop that has a selection in stock?

    Non around here, I'm afraid. But I got one local bike shop to order
    one in without my paying a deposit. Good price too: £40 for a B67. So
    I can at least see it before deciding. Maybe can even talk him into
    letting me sit on it. Seems miles better than paying £48.50 to someone
    on eBay with no return option.

    Thanks...

    Jim D

  16. Paul Boyd said:

    Jim D said the following on 17/11/2006 13:26:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The other thing may be to do with the way that women stop. They
    typically hop down into the space between the saddle and the
    handlebars. Brooks & Co. probably assumes that most women wouldn't be
    happy with a 10" saddle horn poking them from behind...

    I'm pretty sure that most men wouldn't be happy with a 10" saddle horn
    poking them from behind either :-)

    No no no. The horn is there to catch the back of the shorts as you
    remount, thus allowing a full moon at the drivers stuck behind you.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.