UK and Europe · Public discussion

What bikes are 6'4" blokes riding.

Started by Peter Goddard · · Last activity · 12 posts · 557 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 March 2005
Last activity
15 March 2005
Original author
Peter Goddard
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
557
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people have
    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days? It seems that 60cm is
    now XL. There don't seem to be many 60cm bikes in the shops either. I tried
    a 58cm but the seat post was so long it looked more like a mono cycle. Boo
    hoo.

    Cheers

    Peter.

  2. On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:58:15 GMT, "Peter Goddard"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people have
    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days?

    I know one bloke at least that tall who has a very nice Chas Roberts.
    I'm guessing Thorn will also do any size you want.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  3. Peter Goddard said:

    Hello,
    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people have
    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days? It seems that 60cm is
    now XL. There don't seem to be many 60cm bikes in the shops either. I tried
    a 58cm but the seat post was so long it looked more like a mono cycle. Boo
    hoo.

    Cheers

    Peter.

    I ride a ridgeback

  4. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:58:15 GMT, "Peter Goddard"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people have
    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days?

    Quoted message said:

    I know one bloke at least that tall who has a very nice Chas Roberts.
    I'm guessing Thorn will also do any size you want.

    My 6'4" friend (Audax UK hon Events Secretary) rides a 24" Thorn Audax.
    There is a lot of seatpin showing but it looks 'right'.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  5. Peter Goddard said:

    Hello,
    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people have
    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days? It seems that 60cm is
    now XL. There don't seem to be many 60cm bikes in the shops either. I tried
    a 58cm but the seat post was so long it looked more like a mono cycle. Boo
    hoo.

    Cheers

    Amongst others I ride a 63cm Cannondale (a stock size) but am 2" taller
    at 6'6"

    Tony

  6. Tony Raven said:
    Quoted message said:

    Amongst others I ride a 63cm Cannondale (a stock size) but am 2"
    taller at 6'6"

    Tony

    I too ride a 63cm Cannondale (tourer) and a 'Large' (I don't know what that
    means) Cannondale hardtail MTB (through chance, not because I'm a Dale
    Pimp). The tourer does me fine, and I reckon I might have got away with a
    smaller size and longer seatpost, as the top tube length is loooong (be sure
    to take that into account - very variable between bikes and impacts on
    riding position substantially).
    I'm 6' 3.5", although I claim to be 6' 4". (Apologies to Lyle Lovett).
    (That's my brackets quota for the year).

  7. My mate Big Iain (6'6"😉 has an HP Velotechnik Speedmachine, a Windcheetah
    and a home-built low racer, but I imagine that's not quite what you had in
    mind :-)

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  8. Peter Goddard said:

    Hello,
    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people have
    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days? It seems that 60cm is
    now XL. There don't seem to be many 60cm bikes in the shops either. I tried
    a 58cm but the seat post was so long it looked more like a mono cycle. Boo
    hoo.

    If I was looking for another bike, I would certainly look at Cannondale.
    Last time I considered it, they had a 27" touring frame and ~26" road
    racing frame. Many steel manufacturers seem to balk at such sizes.

    James

  9. hi,
    i am 6ft 2 1/2
    I ride an xl marin larkspur
    it fits beautifully
    Paul

    "James Annan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Goddard said:

    Hello,
    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days? It seems that 60cm


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    now XL. There don't seem to be many 60cm bikes in the shops either. I


    tried

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a 58cm but the seat post was so long it looked more like a mono cycle.


    Boo

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hoo.

    If I was looking for another bike, I would certainly look at Cannondale.
    Last time I considered it, they had a 27" touring frame and ~26" road
    racing frame. Many steel manufacturers seem to balk at such sizes.

    James

  10. In article said:

    Hello,
    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people have
    shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days? It seems that 60cm is
    now XL. There don't seem to be many 60cm bikes in the shops either. I tried
    a 58cm but the seat post was so long it looked more like a mono cycle. Boo
    hoo.

    I'm 6'3" and have an old Dawes Kingpin to which a Raleigh Twenty has
    generously donated 8" or so of seattube to extend it, with the help of an
    extra seatpost. And a Raleigh Vitesse and a GT Arrete.

  11. in message <[email hidden]>, Peter Goddard

    (') said:

    Hello,
    The last bike I had was 20 years ago. It was a 25 3/4" Dawes
    Galaxy. Now I'm ready to buy another bike but it appears that people
    have shrunk! What bikes are tall people riding these days? It seems
    that 60cm is now XL. There don't seem to be many 60cm bikes in the
    shops either. I tried a 58cm but the seat post was so long it looked
    more like a mono cycle. Boo hoo.

    The geometry has changed. Toptubes are (relatively) longer for the same
    length seat tube. Whereas twenty years ago the fashion was to have very
    little seatpost exposed, now the fashion is to have much more seatpost
    exposed. In theory this is about making the rear triangle stiffer but
    in practice it's about not having to make so many sizes of frame.
    Twenty years ago I road 26" frames. My twelve year old bike has a 25"
    frame. My last-year's bike has a 24" frame, but is longer on the top
    tube, and I could have got away with one size down.

    I was 6'3" before I smashed my fifth thoracic vertebra; now I'm a bit
    over 6'1" but my legs are still the same length.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
    ;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

  12. On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:21:46 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    My mate Big Iain (6'6"😉 has an HP Velotechnik Speedmachine, a Windcheetah
    and a home-built low racer, but I imagine that's not quite what you had in
    mind :-)

    It is, on the other hand, /exactly/ what I had in mind...

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.