General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Weird problem: I can't eat potatoes. Any idea why?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 467 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 April 2006
Last activity
7 April 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
467
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    I have a weird dietary problem. I can't eat potatoes. Or rather, I
    can, and they taste fine to me, but then 30-60 minutes after I eat
    them, I suddenly start to feel very weird. I feel dizzy, light-headed,
    and unsteady, and have almost painful hunger pangs. This continues
    until I devour sufficient quantities of non-potato food. This started,
    for no discernable reason, a few years ago. BTW, this only seems to
    happen with boiled or baked potatoes, not mashed potatoes.
    Any ideas as to why this might be?
    Thanks!

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,
    I have a weird dietary problem. I can't eat potatoes. Or rather, I
    can, and they taste fine to me, but then 30-60 minutes after I eat
    them, I suddenly start to feel very weird. I feel dizzy, light-headed,
    and unsteady, and have almost painful hunger pangs. This continues
    until I devour sufficient quantities of non-potato food. This started,
    for no discernable reason, a few years ago. BTW, this only seems to
    happen with boiled or baked potatoes, not mashed potatoes.
    Any ideas as to why this might be?
    Thanks!

    You might try testing your blood glucose with a meter at intervals after
    eating them.
    When that happened to me, it turned out to be reactive hypoglycemia.
    Potatoes and white flour/starches were my worst offenders.

    Susan

  3. Sounds, like you got too much time on your hands.

    Maybe, if you actually ate real potatoes or learned how to cook?

  4. Mr. Natural-Health said:

    Sounds, like you got too much time on your hands.

    Maybe, if you actually ate real potatoes or learned how to cook?

    Ha ha.

    I do appreciate a good example of sarcasm, just on artistic grounds.
    However...

    These are *real* potatoes i.e. from the produce department that you
    have to wash and etc.
    I never eat microwave dinners and etc. if that's what you're
    thinking...if that was what was causing this I think I'd notify the
    FDA. Not that that would do any good these days

    Notice how I said *baked* or *boiled*.

    Baked potatoes aren't rocket science. But they are yummy. That's one of
    the reasons I used to like them. So clearly, tragically indeed, the
    problem here is with potatoes *per se*.

    And the problem isn't my cooking, either, because it happens no matter
    who prepares them.

    If my grandparents heard this they'd be crushed. My German peasant
    ancestors lived on these things, so I doubt it's a genetic condition...

  5. Susan said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,
    I have a weird dietary problem. I can't eat potatoes. Or rather, I
    can, and they taste fine to me, but then 30-60 minutes after I eat
    them, I suddenly start to feel very weird. I feel dizzy, light-headed,
    and unsteady, and have almost painful hunger pangs. This continues
    until I devour sufficient quantities of non-potato food. This started,
    for no discernable reason, a few years ago. BTW, this only seems to
    happen with boiled or baked potatoes, not mashed potatoes.
    Any ideas as to why this might be?
    Thanks!

    You might try testing your blood glucose with a meter at intervals after
    eating them.
    When that happened to me, it turned out to be reactive hypoglycemia.
    Potatoes and white flour/starches were my worst offenders.

    Susan

    Thanks for the tip.
    This is to say the least interesting and worth investigating.

    Additional dietary oddities of mine ( just in case they suggest
    anything):

    I have to eat huge quantities of food. Like twice as much as a normal
    person. This started when I was a kid- I used to try to eat as much as
    possible, such that my family nicknamed me "the black hole". But
    nowadays, I *have* to eat ridiculous quantities, or I feel very hungry
    and can't think straight or function properly.

    BTW, in spite of years of gluttony, I never gained much weight and am
    still rather slender (6' 4", 190lbs). Very high metabolism, I guess.

    And I do have, now that I think of it, problems with depression,
    anxiety, very bad insomnia, and fatigue (have to take naps a lot).
    Although not any other of the symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia that I
    found. Hmm...maybe I should have looked into this earlier LOL.

    Also:
    Once, I was hiking in Costa Rica, and due to animals getting into my
    food, on the last day I had to hike for 10 hours on a small sandwich.
    I was fine until on the bus back into town, when I momentarily passed
    out and then went blind for 30 seconds. The doctor (as close as could
    make out, in his Spanish) ascribed this to temporarily very low blood
    sugar due to too little food and too much exertion.

    It was after moving out, and starting to eat less food, and indeed
    abusing myself dietarally like the above example, that I began to
    develop an *incapacity* to go without massive quantities of food even
    temporarily.

    Additionally: I was raised vegetarian and with occasional exceptions
    still am. I eat little junkfood and exercise a lot (though I didnt used
    to) and dont generally have many health problems.

    Anyway.

  6. Yeah, ... but do you eat those real potatoes along with other real
    food?
    http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/whole-grains.html
    --
    John Gohde,
    Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

    The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is a biological factor of the
    mind-body connection. Now, weighing in at 18 web pages, the
    Nutrition of a Healthy Diet is with more documentation and
    sharper terminology than ever before.
    http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.