Road Cycling · Public discussion

Weight loss in the off-season

Started by Nick Burns · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,566 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 September 2003
Last activity
26 September 2003
Original author
Nick Burns
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,566
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Have any of you serious folks (non masters fatties) tried fasting or partial fasting to lose weight
    and improve "fat burning metabolism"?

    I think Hampsten mentioned that he does partial fasting (or did when he was a pro) where he would
    eat almost nothing before the occasional LSD ride.

    I don't want to void the warranty on my ultra-light high-tech racing frame (whatever it is, I will
    find out when it breaks).

    (Recovering from injury and slightly fat)

  2. "Nick Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have any of you serious folks (non masters fatties) tried fasting or


    partial

    Quoted message said:

    fasting to lose weight and improve "fat burning metabolism"?

    I think Hampsten mentioned that he does partial fasting (or did when he


    was

    Quoted message said:

    a pro) where he would eat almost nothing before the occasional LSD ride.

    I don't want to void the warranty on my ultra-light high-tech racing frame (whatever it is, I will
    find out when it breaks).

    (Recovering from injury and slightly fat)

    Over the years, I've tried many "diets" and fasting. IIRC, Hampsten ate a very high protein
    breakfast (scrambled eggs, cheese, and sausage with no carbs) on Wednesday mornings before his 4 or
    5 hour LSD to enhance his body's fat burning ability. This was basically an Atkins diet breakfast. I
    don't know whether it had the desired effect or not. However, I do know that the only diet I've
    found that lets me keep training and lose fat at the same time is the Sugar Busters diet. So you
    don't have to go buy the book, you eat none or as little of the following as possible: sugar of any
    kind including honey, white flour products, ride, potatoes, carrots, corn, beets, bananas,
    pineapple, and alcoholic beverages, especially beer. You do eat whole grain bread and cereals that
    don't have any added sugar (cheerios, shredded wheat, oatmeal), all the other veggies, meat, cheese,
    dairy, nuts, and other fruits in moderation.

    The book does say that the small portions that they suggest may not have enough carbohydrates for
    training athletes. I ate larger portions and never felt hungry on this diet, even on 100+ mile
    rides. I used this diet rather seriously for over a year in which I rode over 9,000 miles in the
    mountains of western Colorado. I lost all of the body fat that I wanted to lose; even my "love
    handles" disappeared. At the same time, I was able to maintain my strength and muscle mass. I loved
    this diet because I could eat Triscuits with cheese or peanut butter on them and not feel guilty. Or
    I could munch a bunch of cashews and almonds, but not the whole can.

    Anyway, I highly recommend this as an alternative to other diets or fasting to lose body fat while
    training or at least while riding your bike a couple of hundred miles a week.

    Vol(your mileage may vary)taire

  3. Nick Burns said:

    Have any of you serious folks (non masters fatties) tried fasting or partial fasting to lose
    weight and improve "fat burning metabolism"?

    Yes, I do it all the time in between meals.

  4. In general, fasting slows the metabolism and can be counterproductive. I would suggest you
    carefully count your calories for a week (or get a computer program to do it) to get an idea of
    what you take in. Also figure out what you need to just live if you weren't active (probably about
    2000 kcals). Once this is done, you'll need to work hard to watch what you eat but not get so
    strict you hate life.

    I've found that a semi-vegetarian diet (soy products are good sources of protein) made up of lots
    of fruits and vegetables is quite satisfying and helps to remove the weight. But remember, you
    need to consume ample carbohydrate and protein (about 1 gram per kilo is good for winter
    training), otherwise you lose muscle too. You also need to adopt a grazing mentality where you eat
    many small meals.

    In regards to Hamsten, his protocol was designed to prevent bonking, not lose weight. As told by
    Andy himself, he would not eat before a long ride and ride for at least an hour before eating on the
    ride. I've tried this and found it useful for those who can't make it out the door without a 7
    course breakfast, but its not good for weight loss. Long rides and lots of fluid and a little food
    is better.

    Chris Harnish, M.S. Exercise Physiologist and Coach

    "Nick Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Have any of you serious folks (non masters fatties) tried fasting or partial fasting to lose
    weight and improve "fat burning metabolism"?

    I think Hampsten mentioned that he does partial fasting (or did when he was a pro) where he would
    eat almost nothing before the occasional LSD ride.

    I don't want to void the warranty on my ultra-light high-tech racing frame (whatever it is, I will
    find out when it breaks).

    (Recovering from injury and slightly fat)

  5. Nick Burns said:

    Have any of you serious folks (non masters fatties) tried fasting or partial fasting to lose weight
    and improve "fat burning metabolism"?

    I think Hampsten mentioned that he does partial fasting (or did when he was a pro) where he would
    eat almost nothing before the occasional LSD ride.

    I don't want to void the warranty on my ultra-light high-tech racing frame (whatever it is, I will
    find out when it breaks).

    (Recovering from injury and slightly fat)

    theketogenicdiet.com00136.1.195444752255613854

    -or-

    tinyurl.comopuc

    Cough up $30 for the pdf - it's worth it.

    Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
    children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their
    week's exercise."
    - John F. Kennedy, 1962

  6. "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email hidden]> schreef >

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I do it all the time in between meals.

    I focus on intervals instead of endurance, fasting between intermediate snacks.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.