General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ways to prepare cauliflower greens.

Started by Don Saklad · · Last activity · 6 posts · 495 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 April 2004
Last activity
3 April 2004
Original author
Don Saklad
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
495
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What might be done with cauliflower greens and stem
    pieces?...

    For example say you prepare cauliflower, removing the
    greens and stem, then halving the florets, placing the
    halves in a pan, covering with olive oil and 350 degrees
    until browning happens.

  2. "Don Saklad" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What might be done with cauliflower greens and stem
    pieces?...

    I can't recall any recipe for using the greens and stems.
    There might well be one, but I have never seen one. My dog
    loves to gnaw the stems (he loves veggies) and I compost
    the leaves.

    Paula

  3. Don Saklad <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What might be done with cauliflower greens and stem
    pieces?...

    For example say you prepare cauliflower, removing the
    greens and stem, then halving the florets, placing the
    halves in a pan, covering with olive oil and 350 degrees
    until browning happens.

    grate the thick white stems and finely chop the green
    leaves, cover with water in a small pan and bring to the
    boil to just soften. the greens will make a nice garnish to
    your baked cauliflower.

  4. "Don Saklad" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What might be done with cauliflower greens and stem
    pieces?...

    For example say you prepare cauliflower, removing the
    greens and stem, then halving the florets, placing the
    halves in a pan, covering with olive oil and 350 degrees
    until browning happens.

    If the stems seem very thick and tough, peel them. Cut them
    up into pieces. Boil them briefly, adding the leaves for the
    last minute or two. Drain, and while still warm, dress with
    vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper--a very nice simple
    Italian type of salad.

    -Scott

  5. Don Saklad said:


    What might be done with cauliflower greens and stem
    pieces?...

    When cauliflower has the small tender leaves still curled
    around the florets, I leave them in place and eat them. The
    stiff leaves that are left in the package are too tough, but
    they might turn to mush in a slow cooker to flavor a stew. I
    just toss the stiff leaves.

    I eat the stems of broccoli by slicing them very thing to
    overcome their toughness, then I cook them the way I cook
    the rest of the broccoli. It should work with
    cauliflower, too.

  6. Doug Freyburger said:
    Don Saklad said:

    What might be done with cauliflower greens and stem
    pieces?...


    When cauliflower has the small tender leaves still curled
    around the florets, I leave them in place and eat them.
    The stiff leaves that are left in the package are too
    tough, but they might turn to mush in a slow cooker to
    flavor a stew. I just toss the stiff leaves. I eat the
    stems of broccoli by slicing them very thing to overcome
    their toughness, then I cook them the way I cook the rest
    of the broccoli. It should work with cauliflower, too.

    Am making cauliflower pickles tonite. I was munching down on
    the leftover stems when I got brilliant idear. Peeled the
    stems a little & sliced thickly and into pickle stuff. I
    never knew cauliflower was so nice. Edrena

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.